PDA

View Full Version : UTG / late position folds?

Percussion
11-09-2005, 10:07 PM
I am an ok player but I dont know why I should be folding a hand like 77 under the gun??

lotus776
11-09-2005, 10:09 PM
yeah, most poker texts reccommend folding all the way down from 66 UTG. I normally wouldn't the 77 UTG but would see the flop and be prepared to release the hand way more often than I would stick around with it...bottom line: it's only a pair of 7's...let it go

11-10-2005, 01:30 AM
a few reasons why id fold em:

- not very strong in a multi way pot (even 3 way)
- heads up situation your most likely in a coin flip situation going to the flop...
- the flop will contain over card(s) most of the time, which then makes it very hard to continue calling/raising.
- most of the time your hand at showdown is still only a mid pair

mid pairs i think are the hardest hands to play. many tough decisions come with them.

ohnonotthat
11-10-2005, 02:03 AM
Who told you to fold medium pairs UTG ?

If the game is loose-passive this is an easy call.

If the game is loose-agressive I'd call providing most flops are being seen by at least 4 players.

If the game is rock-tight - i.e. an early pos. raise will win the pot anywhere near 1/3 of the time - raising is fine, folding OK, and calling is not a terrible play - although it's probably the least attractive choice.

If the game is tight and tough, muck the 7's . . .

- And then find another game.

Unless you are playing for high stakes (20-40 or above) you have no business in a game where medium pairs are no-brain mucks from UTG; there is almost definitely an easier game nearby.

If this were a home game, or a game that was temporarily bad but figured to get good soon (a few of the solid players were racking their chips and were about to be replaced by live ones) meaning that choosing a new game was not the best option, folding 66 - 88 will have little effect on your bottom line.

I hope that helped.