PDA

View Full Version : Kids gambling with addiction

Sniper
11-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Feature story tonight on ABC 11pm news!!

Recliner
11-09-2005, 09:36 PM
I hope this comes on after "How you can get lots of credit cards, even if you're a kid."

d10
11-09-2005, 09:46 PM
For the news retarded, Im assuming 11:00 news on ABC is a national show which will be broadcast on all of the ABC stations? Also is this eastern time or time zone independent or what? Yes, I know, stupid questions, but I seriously don't know and google is not good for figuring this type of stuff out.

11-09-2005, 09:47 PM
And i'm sure they will have some politician on there trying to legislate against poker.

4thstreetpete
11-09-2005, 10:40 PM
thanks for the heads up sniper. This should be a doozy, can't wait. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

11-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Post deleted by BluffVin

aucu
11-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Who cares, the media always blows things up.
Just as many have a problem with chocolate if you really think about it.

I was hooked on the action too starting at about 15 but heck it was fun and wouldn´t change a thing.

Kids are way over protected these days.

11-09-2005, 11:27 PM
When i was a kid sports gambling was big. The Ontario government just released Pro-line and everyone at my school was playing. We just had to ask some of our older friends to buy the ticket for us.

Sniper
11-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Your welcome Pete... based on the pre news soundbites... It sounds like a "Poker is Dangerous" story /images/graemlins/wink.gif

11-10-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I eat chocolate because I'm depressed, and I'm depressed because I eat chocolate. In summary, chocolate kills kids.

News @ 11!

Sniper
11-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Gambling with Addiction - ABC News The Investigators (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=investigators&id=3620839#)

Direct link to the Video (http://ww2.7online.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?clipid1=578599&at1=News+%2D+S pecial+Coverage&vt1=v&h1=The+Investigators%3A+Teen +Gambling+Addiction+Skyrocketing&d1=206233&redirUr l=www.7online.com&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag= homepage) (make sure you have popup blocking turned off.. it will launch the abcnews video player)

lefty rosen
11-10-2005, 12:53 AM
Alot of the posters on this board that are 18 or so are bad addicts they maybe winning now but they don't have the emotional control to not tilt and dump. I can't believe some of the insane limits that guys in high school or college play at without any money in the bank(which is useless if you tap the roll)........ /images/graemlins/confused.gif

hhughes
11-10-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For the news retarded, Im assuming 11:00 news on ABC is a national show which will be broadcast on all of the ABC stations? Also is this eastern time or time zone independent or what? Yes, I know, stupid questions, but I seriously don't know and google is not good for figuring this type of stuff out.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is WABC, the ABC affiliate in NYC. For the NYC metro area. But Im sure anyone can watch if they have a computer. As far as being broadcast nationally, that depends if the network wants to pick it up...

And it is the #1 market in the country...so lots of folks will see it...maybe not in Walla Walla, but still... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

11-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Addiction expert: "If there's 10 people at a poker table, two of them will have a gambling problem."

Of course, the reporter doesn't ask where that statistic came from, or to back it up with some type of evidence. If you're an "expert" you can spout whatever statistics you want, and no one will question it if they're trying to prove a point or make up a riveting story.

Now I remember why I stopped watching TV news.

11-10-2005, 01:46 AM
It came from the best source--the addiction expert's ass. Q.E.D.

smoore
11-10-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I eat chocolate because I'm depressed, and I'm depressed because I eat chocolate. In summary, chocolate kills kids.

News @ 11!

[/ QUOTE ]

In other news... CrazyZee getting fatter. Film at 12.

d10
11-10-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And it is the #1 market in the country...so lots of folks will see it...maybe not in Walla Walla, but still... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, this broadcast, like most things, wasn't available in my area. But looking at the article I dont think I missed much.

Newt_Buggs
11-10-2005, 04:15 AM
That video was pointless.

11-10-2005, 04:11 PM
so the addicted kid went on to graduate from an Ivy League University...
yet he
couldn't beat Online limit poker? Wha?

"Ivy League Graduate loses $20,000. playing 1/2 Limit on PartyPoker" - News @ 11 lol

Brice
11-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Just because you are smart enough to go to an Ivy league school, does not make you are good enough to win long term at cards.

x2ski
11-10-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Addiction expert: "If there's 10 people at a poker table, two of them will have a gambling problem."

Of course, the reporter doesn't ask where that statistic came from, or to back it up with some type of evidence. If you're an "expert" you can spout whatever statistics you want, and no one will question it if they're trying to prove a point or make up a riveting story.

Now I remember why I stopped watching TV news.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read <u>Freakonomics</u> did you?

Good book.

excession
11-10-2005, 05:14 PM
I still watch Fox - i've always liked US comedy programs..

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

excession
11-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Often forums like 2+2 (where there are of course no losing players /images/graemlins/smile.gif )fuel this expectation that any relatively smart kid can make 6 figures playing poker ...

There are students playing the $200-400 tables with less than 10x buy-in roll who have been playing for a month or two...

I saw a newbie playerpost, having played for 2 weeks, asking whether he should move up to the $100 NL tables with his $1000 roll -the advice wasn't 'no' - the 'playas' said 'the standard of play at $100 is no better than the $50 or $25 - so why not take a shot'.

To get really good at this game takes a long time - stu ungar's talent is a once in generation thing. To be playing at semi-pro levels porrly bankrolled just because you either ran hot at or can beat the small stakes game is asking for a huge kick to your ego when the variance and or better players bite you back

I read a post over on BTP last week about a college guy who had built up his roll to $6000 then blew it all in the $400 games in a coupole of weeks..

dogmeat
11-10-2005, 05:32 PM
My own opinion is that you should never gamble with addiction. You can gamble with cash, or chips, but not addiction.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

lefty rosen
11-11-2005, 12:15 AM
That's the rule not the exception. I rememeber when Party had the wild 25NL games about a year and half ago. I remember losing 5 buyins in one day to guys who caught ace high runner runner bicycles or back door flushes, every flop my over pair had the best of it. Even at 1KNL this can pop up but if you have 10 units(full buyins)your roll can be crippled with 2 days of this in a row...

lefty rosen
11-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Live games I would say half. I can't tell you how many BJ or Roulette guys who are running bad(do they ever run good?)sit at 4/8 game and try to drawout with anything and everything. Then it's back to roulette......... /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

excession
11-11-2005, 07:01 AM
lol yes I played the Party $25's about 14 months ago as a newbie - ran hot for first two weeksand got up 30 buy-ins; then lost 28 of them over the next month /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

OK so I'm a better player now and my worst downswing since is 4-5 buyins, but I still play with 40x buy in minimum (currently I have $6000 roll and play the $100 6 max)