PDA

View Full Version : Take this challenge and win a pub.

The once and future king
11-09-2005, 08:25 PM
You yanks seem well up for your challenges and resulting bets and I salute you for it.

Every year in a small market town called Helston located in Cornwall England they have a festival called Flora day. To mark this occasion a local brewer makes an ale called Spingo special which you can only drink at a pub called the Blue Anchor.

Each Flora day the Landlord of the Pub paints a white line in the courtyard of the Pub. Tradition has it that if you can drink 20 pints of Spingo special and walk in a straight line down the white line you win the deeds of the pub.

Spingo special is a distinct brew. I estimate its alcohol content to be around 8.5% which is of course high for a beer. However as anyone will tell you who has drunk the stuff, there is some secret ingredient. This stuff sends you mad after about 3 pints. It has a hit all its own and is legendery for it.

So, no offence intended but Yanks have a piss poor international respect rating for being able to handle their drink. Maybe this is the time for someone to step up be counted. Be warned though, both russians and scots have attempted this and been crushed by the Spingo. These two races of men are hard HARD hard drinkers.

Can you walk the white line?

spamuell
11-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Can you start at the opening time and try to walk the line at closing? How will the new 24 hour legislation affect this?

I couldn't do this, but surely someone can?

PoBoy321
11-09-2005, 08:35 PM
How long do you have to drink the 20 beers? I think that given a long enough time, this could easily be done.

[ QUOTE ]
So, no offence intended but Yanks have a piss poor international respect rating for being able to handle their drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true, but you clearly don't know how strict our drunk driving laws. Most Americans have gotten VERY good at walking a straight line while trashed.

The once and future king
11-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Spingo has an effect all its own. I can handle my beer, yet I am utterly deystroyed after 5 pints.

Sponger15SB
11-09-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this could easily be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, easily. I mean think of how many people have done this before.... wait wait wait, none.

asofel
11-09-2005, 08:38 PM
This would be pretty stupid if he puts some kind of drug or whatever in the beer...

if its just heavy alcohol that's a different story....and something i want to try /images/graemlins/smile.gif

IndieMatty
11-09-2005, 08:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/hopethisworks/william0.jpg

The once and future king
11-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Its hard to explain the potency of this beer.

As an example.

My mate Carn drank about 7 pints of this stuff one Christmas Eve when our local Pub "The Dock" had some made up to celibrate Christmas.

He awoke on Christmas day to find he had gotten up in the middle of the night and taken a dump in his room on the floor. All I remember is Carn becoming incoherent and conversing in grunts after about 3-4 pints and just walking up to prety girls and groping/pawing them blatently without pause for an introduction after about 5 pints.

To put this into further perspestive. We are not at college, we were/are in our 30s at the time and have both been around the block as far drinking is concerned. Carn is one of the sturdiest drinkers I know.

Supersetoy
11-09-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As an example.

My mate Carn drank about 7 pints of this stuff one Christmas Eve when our local Pub "The Dock" had some made up to celibrate Christmas.

He awoke on Christmas day to find he had gotten up in the middle of the night and taken a dump in his room on the floor. All I remember is Carn becoming incoherent and conversing in grunts after about 3-4 pints and just walking up to prety girls and groping/pawing them blatently without pause for an introduction after about 5 pints.

To put this into further perspestive. We are not at college, we were/are in our 30s at the time and have both been around the block as far drinking is concerned. Carn is one of the sturdiest drinkers I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anyone else reading this in an English accent?

Weird.

asofel
11-09-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As an example.

[/ QUOTE ]

so he's spiking it with somethign? no way just the alcohol is doing that...

The once and future king
11-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Who is he?

pryor15
11-09-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As an example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't see how you couldn't. that's half the fun of the story.

The once and future king
11-09-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, have watched alot of yank films and spent a year at a yank university but this reference escapes me.

asofel
11-09-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who is he?

[/ QUOTE ]

the owner. It sounds like you guys can handle your [censored] fine, and that's why I can't imagine 7 doing that much damage...has he confirmed an extra ingredient or something? I mean, i had about 26 shots and 3 beers on my birthday a year and I wasn't shitting on anybody, so it must be something different.

wacki
11-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Is there a time limit? If its 12 hours I think I know several people that have this challenge made.

Paging JOHN NICKLE!!!!!!!!!

RunDownHouse
11-09-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This may be true, but you clearly don't know how strict our drunk driving laws.

[/ QUOTE ]
American drunk driving laws are a complete joke compared to many European countries.

Does this pub guy keep the brew under very tight wraps? I'm kind of surprised that after all this time nobody has managed to get an analysis on the stuff. At the very least you'd think some homebrew type would have come up with something in the general area.

The once and future king
11-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Something happens in the fermentation process. You know how Tequila has a difernet hit to Malt. Well Spingo has an affect all its own to which is to somehow shut down higher brain functions and revert one to an Id monster of primordial simplicity.

You cant get Spingo special outside of a 75mile radius, and it is LEGENDARY. A real local hero of a beer.

tolbiny
11-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Meh- i haven't met anyone who could have 40 drinks in 12 hours and walk a straight line.

astroglide
11-09-2005, 09:24 PM
recipe for a wrongful death lawsuit out here probably

i'm pretty sure they banned the contests where you had to stay awake and keep your hands on a car to win it because people were getting into health trouble staying awake for 3 days and whatever

The once and future king
11-09-2005, 09:27 PM
You can buy Spingo all year round, this is treated with respect. For special occasions the brewer who only makes Spingo makes Spingo Special. This is treated with reverance.

The Blue Anchor (http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/cornwall/pubs.html)

cnfuzzd
11-09-2005, 09:38 PM
i need a date for this festival, and a time limit

peace

john nickle

wacki
11-09-2005, 09:42 PM
May 8th

You are blind.

Wacki.

The once and future king
11-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Its basicaly seen as immpossible. Its a tradition not a contest. Theres no big neon signs advertising the fact. You go into the yard of the pub drunk after your 3-4 pints of spingo and laugh at all the people trying to walk up and down the line.

ThaSaltCracka
11-09-2005, 10:05 PM
At first I thought this was possible, but then I started to think...Hmmm... TSC...how many 40's of OE can I drink in one night.....3...maybe 5 given ENOUGH time, even then that would only be 12.5 pints or so.

This seems impossible, but I would love to try a few pints of this brew just to get CRUNK.

radek2166
11-09-2005, 10:38 PM
I dont think anyone can walk that white line. I would put money on it that PJN could snort the whole frigin line up in one fell snort!!!!!

jokerthief
11-09-2005, 10:41 PM
This challenge would be super illegal in the States.

PoBoy321
11-09-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm glad to see you cut my sentence in half and took it completely out of context.

ThaSaltCracka
11-09-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]well if it was 20 pints of some other beer, I think it could be done easily. I don't really know what the special ingredient is, and for me, that mostly doesn't matter, but 20 pints (16 point whatever ounces) of 8.5 beastness is a tough task for anyone.

that being said, I have done 164 shots of beer in 164 minutes, and I could have continued, but those involved were getting tired of me not puking.

jokerthief
11-09-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]well if it was 20 pints of some other beer, I think it could be done easily. I don't really know what the special ingredient is, and for me, that mostly doesn't matter, but 20 pints (16 point whatever ounces) of 8.5 beastness is a tough task for anyone.

that being said, I have done 164 shots of beer in 164 minutes, and I could have continued, but those involved were getting tired of me not puking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it was 20 pints of Busch Lite it would be a very dangerous challenge and any bar that offered up a similar challenge here in the US would lose their liquor licsense or get sued after someone is hospitalized or drives drunk and kills someone. [/run on sentence]

ethan
11-09-2005, 10:54 PM
20x16oz of 8.5% is essentially the same as a 1.75L of 80-proof liquor, at least as far as alcohol-content goes. I know only one person who's done a 1.75L (of Sapphire) in an evening, and while he was perfectly coherent I'm not so sure he could do a straight line. The "secret ingredient" talk is enough to convince me I don't know anyone who could pull this off.

I can walk a straight line after a fifth of 100-proof bourbon, but after that it's pretty questionable. No way I could do this challenge, but I'd have fun trying. I wish there were some way to get this brew to LA.

When's the festival?

edit - 20x16ozx.085 = 27.2oz alcohol in the brew. That's 68oz at 40%, which is just about exactly 2 liters of 80-proof.

ThaSaltCracka
11-09-2005, 10:57 PM
yeah most likely, not sure why I quoted you /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eviljeff
11-10-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.

PoBoy321
11-10-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
20x16oz of 8.5% is essentially the same as a 1.75L of 80-proof liquor

[/ QUOTE ]

I did that once over about 3 hours. I was lit but coherent and wasn't falling all over myself although I definitely couldn't walk a straight line. If I had 12 hours to do it though, I think I could pull it off.

RustedCorpse
11-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Ok I humbly say I can drink, I get talkitive but never sloppy.... with that said

[ QUOTE ]
Be warned though, both russians and scots have attempted this and been crushed by the Spingo. T

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously have never met a russian who couldn't drink, and drink hard so I would think 8.5% is below what's really in there.

LALDAAS
11-10-2005, 12:47 AM
I find this hard to belive. I am a pretty heavy boozer. My friends call me frank the tank and have place bets on me in the bar.

I have dropped many of men.

Just last week I put down a 30 pack with my roommate and a liter of jameson.

I was pretty bent though.

HtotheNootch
11-10-2005, 01:19 AM
There's something else in that drink.

If I ever wanted to try it, my guess is that my practice drink would be absinthe.

11-10-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lmaooooooooo

mmbt0ne
11-10-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, in this light, you somewhat resemble David Duchovny.

tonypaladino
11-10-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

20x16oz of 8.5% is essentially the same as a 1.75L of 80-proof liquor, at least as far as alcohol-content goes. I know only one person who's done a 1.75L (of Sapphire) in an evening,

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done 2+ litres of vodka twice. Only one of the times I almost died. The other time, I was feeling pretty good. I bet if I put my mind to it I could've walked a straight line.

Shajen
11-10-2005, 09:57 AM
No thanks.

daveymck
11-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Beamish Red has the same effect on me, havent [censored] anywhere but it made me a lot more nuts than when I was drinking the same amount of similar drinks.

I know I couldnt drink 20 though let alone walk in a straight line after, 9 or 10 is pushing my max then I slow down or stop or be sick.