PDA

View Full Version : DERB's recent play

mc1023
11-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Maybe he's lurking these boards but anyone notice he's playing significantly tighter lately?

I was playing with him the other day on the 50-100 tables and his VPIP/PFR for the session were very low and I didn't see him open once with a hand that's out of line.

sorry to start another thread on derb..................

11-09-2005, 08:36 PM
You cannot fathom how much better than all of you I am.

___1___
11-09-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he's lurking these boards but anyone notice he's playing significantly tighter lately?

I was playing with him the other day on the 50-100 tables and his VPIP/PFR for the session were very low and I didn't see him open once with a hand that's out of line.

sorry to start another thread on derb..................

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, since he's started back at 30/60 a couple days ago I have him at 28/19. Also, I don't think it would surprising if there were more than one person playing on that account...

___1___

shemp
11-09-2005, 08:38 PM
That's it, I want a bracelet.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he's [...]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just thankful we have a place where we can speculate about what someone might be doing or thinking this very instant.

mmcd
11-09-2005, 09:11 PM
This guy has been around for years. I highly doubt he changed a style that has been very profitable for him on account of these threads. Especially since the general tone of the threads is "Why does he win more than us?"
Far more likely someone else is playing his account.

newhizzle
11-09-2005, 09:18 PM
i have him at 32/19/1.8 after 590 hands and hes at 2 of my tables right now

edit - all 590 hands are within the last 2 days

mc1023
11-09-2005, 09:33 PM
yeah maybe it was just this particular session.. he seems to be playing his like how he usually does...

it was soo strange to see him play so tight though...

AceHigh
11-10-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's beating the games for 3BB/100 why would he tighten up? My guess is he's adjusting for the games conditions.

sweetjazz
11-10-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Far more likely someone else is playing his account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, DERB is likely training DERB JR how to continue his reign of terror on the poker tables. I suspect that all previous incomprehensibly bad plays on the account were made by DERB JR sneaking onto daddy's computer before he was given proper training. The real DERB's true winrate is no doubt > 4 BB/100, but our samples are contaminated with botched hands by a previously untrained DERB JR.

Teak4
11-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Wanted to throw-out perhaps a simplistic theory on DERB and the metagame dynamic. What is control of the table worth in limit? Derb's strategy pretty much gaurantee's him control of the table and he gets it just about every time he plays.

The TA approach can get you control of the table occasionally when the right combination of cards, position and opponent type come together. We've all had runs where you can sense that the whole table is reacting and basing their decisions on your action and reacting with caution if not fear. Nice position to be in, but tough to make it happen often or for a sustained period 10 handed playing a typical TA game.

My questions:

How can you quantify the value of controlling the action at a table?

How would you optimize DERB's approach to give away less on questionable plays on individual hands while still controlling the action?