PDA

View Full Version : Missed Opportunity?

11-09-2005, 07:40 PM

50/100 blinds

T10000 to start

I have built my stack to T25775 and am in BB with 8d5c

Villain is the other big stack at the table with T29000 in the SB

This player is very loose, and in fact was very lucky twice on the river facing elimination the first time, and a in a big pot the second time. My impression is that his strategy was to gamble early to try to build a stack or go home.

MP calls 100, villain raises to 600....

At this point I decide that he could basically have anything and I want to see if I can hit a flop hard to try to bust him.
Given our stacks and the nature of this player I thought that this was a decent play.

I call, MP folds, flop is 8h8sQc

Villain bets 1500. This is a spot where I think he is just taking a stab at the pot with a flop that likely missed me. I decide to smooth call. No possible straight or flush draws, so I like slow playing here.

Turn is 7s and villain checks

So it's about a T4500 pot, and I think I'm way ahead. The only slight worry is the spade flush draw. I probably should make a large bet here to take it down, but I'm feeling a bit greedy and decide to bet 3000 hoping he calls with 2 high cards. I just don't see this player being as tricky as to check here with any part of this flop. Villain calls.

River is a blank (2h) and villain checks.

I decide that I have the best hand, and think about how much he will call if he has a hand like KJ or a 7 or 2. I bet 3000 again and he calls.

He shows Qh7h and I take it down.

I totally misread his hand based on how agressively he had been playing. Maybe he smelled a rat based on my flop smooth call and decided to go to showdown as cheaply as possible against the other big stack. I feel like I missed a big chance to double up to a monster stack here. I think he pretty well has to call a very big turn or river bet with 2 pair and that board.

How poorly did I play this? Comments appreciated.

11-09-2005, 07:48 PM
I would have probably raised the pot, but I am aggressive, and it wouldn't look out of the ordinary.

Then again, just calling would look like either a queen, or an 8, and given the results, he was likely behind to your calling range there.

I would have picked a raise size of about 4000, little more than twice his raise. He probably would have chased a queen anyways, and you could have fired another volley on the turn.

But as it stood, your line was fine, you got 8100 out of his 29K stack, which is more than 1/4th of it, you might have been able to bet more and get a call since he seems like he is a loose caller, but a bigger bet on the turn or river might chase him off.