PDA

View Full Version : Rate These New(er) Primetime Sitcoms

IggyWH
11-09-2005, 06:19 PM
If you've seen any of these new/newer sitcoms, please tell me what your opinions of them are. I've never been one to get into sitcoms but with it getting harder and harder to find good TV, it's probably time I give them a shot.

I'm just listing CBS, ABC & NBC here. Never was a big fan of Fox, but if there's a new show on it, then I'm open to it.

CBS :

How I Met Your Mother
Two and a Half Men

ABC :

Freddie
Boston Legal

NBC :

My Name is Earl
The Office (I can just read The Office thread so no need to comment about it, I just didn't want people to think I forgot about it)

joshman1204
11-09-2005, 06:21 PM
My name is earl

Everything else

11-09-2005, 06:22 PM
yeah, isnt it the dude from mallrats? they let him have a show, nuff said.

diebitter
11-09-2005, 06:22 PM
The should bring back Married with Children. And Futurama.

http://www.bundyology.com/futurama.jpg

Duffman
11-09-2005, 06:26 PM
I enjoy the ocassional Boston Legal episode, but other than that I don't watch anything new, unless I have it on for background noise.

I can't believe all the praise for My Name is Earl. I find it pretty bland.

11-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Um, I havent watched it, thats why I said nuff said... he's funny, but I havent seen the show.

tonypaladino
11-09-2005, 06:30 PM
I've seen 1 episode of My Name is Earl. It seemed somewhat funny without being corny or predictable, leaving it at the top ranking of current sitcomes.

tonypaladino
11-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Anyone see Stacked on fox?

I watched the first episode when it premiered b/c I was curious. I'm embarrased for all invoved.

xorbie
11-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Office
My Name is Earl

Pretty close, really. I love both. Everything else I don't watch.

Soul Daddy
11-09-2005, 06:39 PM
I've only seen the two NBC shows. The Office is hilarious. My Name is Earl is great too. It's not designed to be as outwardly funny as The Office, but it's very well done.

wayabvpar
11-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Two and a Half Men is actually really damned funny. Charlie Sheen plays a thinly disguised version of himself (before he was sober). Some classic lines and some serious tapdancing near the censorship line.

11-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Of the ones you mentioned, I like Boston Legal the best and Two and a Half Men second. Both are funny, BL more than the other, but for a regular sitcom 2 and 1/2 men is better than average.

Ulysses
11-09-2005, 08:12 PM
I was looking forward to My Name is Earl, but I watched one episode (first or second I think) and thought it really sucked. Has it gotten better?

astroglide
11-09-2005, 09:18 PM
am i the only guy who watches 'comedies' for entertainment and not TO LAUGH? it's downright weird to me if somebody could call earl hilarious or not watch it because it's not. i think it's a breezy way to pass a half hour. some of it is chuckle-worthy, and the positive vibe is nice.

ChipWrecked
11-09-2005, 10:46 PM
I have the opposite problem from OP. I wish I had more time to watch stuff I want to watch. TV on DVD is a godsend, really.

Lost
House
Rome
Any Law & Order
The Office
Alias
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Arrested Development

There's a lot of wasted hours in one week, right there. Lots of others I'm forgetting right now.

ThaSaltCracka
11-09-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was looking forward to My Name is Earl, but I watched one episode (first or second I think) and thought it really sucked. Has it gotten better?

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with this completely, I find the humor absolutely stupid and boring. Its like dumb jokes for middle schoolers. Jason Lee is not funny, and his fat brother is even worse. Horrible show.

Punker
11-09-2005, 11:00 PM
I like How I met your mother, office, and 2.5 men. The rest are very meh.

Paluka
11-09-2005, 11:05 PM
The only weekly shows I watch at this point are Rome and Arrested Development. I sometimes watch Curb. I'll watch Law and Order type shows if for some reason i'm sitting in front of the tv doing something else.

SoloAJ
11-09-2005, 11:08 PM
I'll say it since no one else has probably given it a chance...

Freddie isn't a half bad show. It has its moments of chuckles and that is enough for me to justify watching it. Plus there are some beautiful ladies on the show once in a while.

NotMitch
11-09-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has, last nights was the best one I have seen.

astroglide
11-09-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting, my gf and i thought it was the worst of the season

lastchance
11-09-2005, 11:18 PM
You should watch Veronica Mars. Yeah, it's on UPN, it might be for a different generation, but it's funny, and it has excellent writing. Even if you aren't in high school right now, it deserves a hour.

L&O rules, btw.

NotMitch
11-09-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting, my gf and i thought it was the worst of the season

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you both of you think of the season as a whole?

HtotheNootch
11-09-2005, 11:26 PM
My name is Earl.

But then again, I worked "totheNootch" into my SN, and named my dog Brodie.

bobbyi
11-09-2005, 11:43 PM
"The War at Home" which is on Fox Sundays between Simpsons and Family Guy is really funny. I assume it's new since I had never noticed until recently. Maybe not.

captswifty
11-10-2005, 01:48 AM
I'm a fan of Kitchen Confidental on Fox. I think it comes back from a hiatus because of baseball next week. I started watching it because I liked Anthony Bourdain's book of the same name, and that's what it's based off of.

edfurlong
11-10-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a fan of Kitchen Confidental on Fox. I think it comes back from a hiatus because of baseball next week. I started watching it because I liked Anthony Bourdain's book of the same name, and that's what it's based off of.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this show and I'm pretty sure the name is the only thing the same.

dblgutshot
11-10-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"The War at Home" which is on Fox Sundays between Simpsons and Family Guy is really funny. I assume it's new since I had never noticed until recently. Maybe not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the worst show ever to be made.

jaydub
11-10-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty bad but not worst ever. I'd say worst this year for FOX which is saying a lot. Fortunately it has zero chance of making it a second season.

Nicholasp27
11-10-2005, 11:06 AM
my name is earl and the office are both great
i also like war at home on fox

i haven't seen any of the others

11-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Salt Cracka... Jason Lee is hilarious, at least when he's delivering lines written by the greatest comedic director of all time... maybe I just expect too much out of him after Chasing Amy, Mallrats, and Strike Back, he was meh in Dogma.

BTW, House is/was the greatest drama show EVER! The writing is pretty amazing, and the main character has fantastic delivery.

johnnycakes
11-10-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is horrible.
I also find 2.5 Men to be unwatchable.

With shows like Curb, Earl, and the Office on now, I've acquired a very strong dislike of comedies with laughtracks.

Anyway, Arrested Development, Earl, Office are the only network comedies I make an effort to watch. I think they are all great, with Arrested Dev being by far the best.

I have also seen every episode of Kitchen Confidential.
I like it, but probably wouldn't make a strong effort to watch it every week if it wasn't on after Arrested Dev.

11-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Two And A Half Men is hilarious! We don't have the show here in The Netherlands, but I download the new episodes every tuesday and laugh my ass off! Just my kind of humour /images/graemlins/grin.gif

astroglide
11-10-2005, 12:33 PM
we both like it pretty well. it's a good way to pass the time while eating dinner or whatever. i thought the last episode sucked because there was no buildup/resolution really, it was just problem-solved problem-solved problem-solved. i definitely prefer the ones where the episode has one major plotline, the mini problems couldn't even really be seen as problems.

joshman1204
11-10-2005, 12:39 PM
I agree but I still got a good laugh out of some of the scenes. This is one of the only two shows I watch every week, the other is of course las vegas.

nyc999
11-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Out of that list, the Office and Earl are decent, but I don't go out of my way to watch either.

The only new comedy I like is Extras on HBO.

captswifty
11-10-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen this show and I'm pretty sure the name is the only thing the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is some stuff based off of what's in the book, but you're right - most of the stuff is completly new.

11-10-2005, 08:32 PM
I've become a big fan of "Everybody Hates Chris". Anyone else like it?

B Dids
11-10-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Salt Cracka... Jason Lee is hilarious, at least when he's delivering lines written by the greatest comedic director of all time... maybe I just expect too much out of him after Chasing Amy, Mallrats, and Strike Back, he was meh in Dogma.

BTW, House is/was the greatest drama show EVER! The writing is pretty amazing, and the main character has fantastic delivery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

The hyperbole meter just broke.

Wow.

The Office is cute, Earl is ok. Other than that I'm not watching any new TV.

Benholio
11-10-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Two and a Half Men is actually really damned funny. Charlie Sheen plays a thinly disguised version of himself (before he was sober). Some classic lines and some serious tapdancing near the censorship line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this was a real show. Might have to watch it.
http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/6130/4acx01158ep.png

Eric Draven
11-11-2005, 09:45 PM
My Name is Earl is the only one listed that's really worth watching... But the fact that it has Jason Lee (and Ethan Suplee to boot) makes my opinion bias.

(Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development are the only 2 other "Sitcoms" that are worth watching IMO)