PDA

View Full Version : NBC's The Office

DMBFan23
11-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Anyone seen the BBC version of this? I've been watching the american version with Steve Carrell

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/

and it's [censored] hilarious. The jokes aren't really punchline based, it's more the often dreary or deadpan delivery of the lines and the awkward pauses and moments that follow which really create the humor. Is that a british thing or is it unique to the american version?

also, Jenna Fischer is one of those girls who isn't high on the 'objective hotness' meter but I find her so freaking gorgeous it's amazing. Maybe it's the girl next door thing of her character, but damn she is money.

http://www.nbc.com/photos/Primetime/The_Office/2OFFadN05.jpg

http://www.nbc.com/photos/Primetime/The_Office/2OFFacN04.jpg

diebitter
11-09-2005, 05:53 PM
This is a great show. The BBC one is great too, but in a different way.

I like both equally.

Watch it, guys!

wayabvpar
11-09-2005, 05:54 PM
I have only seen 1 episode of the American version. It is reasonably well done and amusing, but pales in comparison to the original IMHO.

trotski
11-09-2005, 06:01 PM
this show is hilarious. the british one is also hilarious, but i was pleasantly surprised at how well done the American version is. and I agree, i think she is a little hottie as well.

diebitter
11-09-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm amazed anyone on OOT even looks at her. Considering Heidi Klum is like a 3/10 on the usual tarded OOT scale.

She is cute as a button though.

SoCalRugger
11-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Agreed on all counts.

Also, it looks like it's been picked up for a full 22 episode season.

Aloysius
11-09-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have only seen 1 episode of the American version. It is reasonably well done and amusing, but pales in comparison to the original IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try watching it again. I basically felt the same way until about the 2nd or 3rd episode of this season, and I donno - obviously something clicked with the writers and the actors - it's really hilarious - I think funniest show on Network TV. Has both Earl and, now, Arrested Development dizominated.

The British "The Office" is really hilarious - but it's definitely more snarky (esp. 2nd season) than the American version, which has a little more heart. Per American tastes.

Slow Play Ray
11-09-2005, 06:11 PM
This is without a doubt the show I currently look forward to most every week.

I need to get my hands on last season's...haven't seen any of them.

11-09-2005, 06:14 PM
oh god I love this show. Did you see last week's episode where Michael and Dwight were fighting at the dojo and they were both acting so childish? Ridiculous. My friends all think this show is stupid but I love it.

diebitter
11-09-2005, 06:15 PM
I loved the equality day one. I laughed so hard milk came out my nose. And I wasn't drinking any!

We've only had season one here though /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Soul Daddy
11-09-2005, 06:21 PM
It's the funniest show on TV. I never succumbed to the hype around the BBC version, so it's fresh to me even if it's not as good as the original. I'll check them out some time though.

Macedon
11-09-2005, 06:21 PM
The best part of the show has to be the truthfulness (though exaggerated) of what office-life can be like.

The fire drill had me cracking up. I've seen people run for the exit much like Michael did. And I've seen people act like over-eager fire-wardens, like Michael's assistant did in that hilarious episode.

Great show.

dblgutshot
11-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Yeah I love this show too, and totally agree with you about the girl as well.

DMBFan23
11-09-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh god I love this show. Did you see last week's episode where Michael and Dwight were fighting at the dojo and they were both acting so childish? Ridiculous. My friends all think this show is stupid but I love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

/start emo soap opera gossip

what the hell is up with Jim doing something extremely socially awkward to Pam every week? first it was the picking her up in the dojo thing (which NEVER got resolved, dammit) and then this week he made the crack at her fiancee leaving her at the hockey game. What gives Jim, just hit it! She wants it man!

/end soap opera gossipy stuff

Justin A
11-09-2005, 06:32 PM
I just got the BBC version from Netflix, very good so far. It's funny because the characters and some of the jokes and plotlines are all the same. For instance they have the running assistant to the regional manager joke. The guy who play's Jim/Tim in the BBC version even looks like the newest incarnation.

DMBFan23
11-09-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is without a doubt the show I currently look forward to most every week.

I need to get my hands on last season's...haven't seen any of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's an american last season? or are you talking about the british one?

SoCalRugger
11-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Season 1 of the Office (US) wsa only 6 episodes long and is already out on DVD. What's airing now is Season 2, which will be 22 episodes.

Aloysius
11-09-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your friends suck - that episode is hilarious!

Would also like to be the 3rd (4th?) poster to note that the receptionist chick is very attractive, without actually being empirically that hot.

Yeti
11-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Ok.

This program is pretty damn good. Not amazing, but very solid. Different to the original, so let's not compare them.

And yes, Pam is cute as a button. Especially the nice tummy shot last week. Sch-wing.

11-09-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The fire drill had me cracking up. I've seen people run for the exit much like Michael did. And I've seen people act like over-eager fire-wardens, like Michael's assistant did in that hilarious episode.

Great show.

[/ QUOTE ]
this was the most hilarious episode. I'm still laughing at Michael running for the exit. OMG. And the inappropriate questions they were asking each other in the parking lot about who they'd most like to sleep with. wow.

diebitter
11-09-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Great show.

[/ QUOTE ]
this was the most hilarious episode. I'm still laughing at Michael running for the exit. OMG. And the inappropriate questions they were asking each other in the parking lot about who they'd most like to sleep with. wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sucks! I want to see it! I'm gonna have to figure out bittorrent or something... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

masse75
11-09-2005, 08:25 PM
I was talking about it with a friend and we've noticed that if you watch the show, it's hilarious...but try describing it to someone, they give you that, "Oh...yeah. That is funny" response while giving you the "You are a 'tard" face.

Most of America can't laugh at a show unless there's a laughtrack behind it.

meep_42
11-09-2005, 08:43 PM
I find this show painful to watch... to me, it's just not funny. Carrell's character is just an imbecile, the timing is poor, and the jokes are poor. A couple of the characters are good, but there's not really enough in there for me to justify even telling the DVR to record it.

-d

dblgutshot
11-09-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

there's an american last season? or are you talking about the british one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes we are currently on season 2. The first season was only like 8 episodes or something I think.

DeezNuts
11-09-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try watching it again. I basically felt the same way until about the 2nd or 3rd episode of this season, and I donno - obviously something clicked with the writers and the actors - it's really hilarious - I think funniest show on Network TV. Has both Earl and, now, Arrested Development dizominated.

The British "The Office" is really hilarious - but it's definitely more snarky (esp. 2nd season) than the American version, which has a little more heart. Per American tastes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes me nauseous when people actually have the gall to say that the US version is anywhere close to as good/funny/warm as the BBC version. The BBC version is one of the greatest comedies of all time.

The US version is good, but in a way that CSI(which I don't watch) is good. Better than most of the stuff on TV, but definitely not great.

Of course, maybe I need to watch more than the four episodes I've seen.

DN

montechristo
11-09-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes me nauseous when people actually have the gall to say that the US version is anywhere close to as good/funny/warm as the BBC version. The BBC version is one of the greatest comedies of all time.

The US version is good, but in a way that CSI(which I don't watch) is good. Better than most of the stuff on TV, but definitely not great.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

you are correct sir.

11-10-2005, 02:40 AM
This season has been great, but I still think the best episode was the basketball game from season 1. And also: "Mint chocolate chip ice cream cake!"

Aloysius
11-10-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - you should watch more than 4 episodes of the US version. I really think it's found its groove this season.

One of the greatest comedies of all time? Puh-lease. The 1st season of the BBC's The Office was amazing - second not so good. 1 great season does not qualify it as "one of the greatest comedies of all time".

DesertCat
11-10-2005, 02:56 AM
The BBC version can't match up to the U.S. version for one specific reason. It has no sub-titles so I can't figure out what language those people are speaking half the time.

DMBFan23
11-10-2005, 02:57 AM
there is a virtual torrent of episodes suddenly appearing on my computer and I have no idea how. [censored], guess I'll watch them.

DeezNuts
11-10-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The BBC version can't match up to the U.S. version for one specific reason. It has no sub-titles so I can't figure out what language those people are speaking half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

DVD, buddy. It's the wave of the future.