PDA

View Full Version : new car

Boris
06-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Is it true that you should not drive a new car for extended periods on the freeway? for like the first 1000 miles.

This is my first brand new car. got a 4Runner. My Montana family will just puke when they see me in an SUV. I've turned into a fu*#ing Yuppie.

I still love the car though.

Jimbo
06-20-2003, 02:52 PM
Hi Boris,

No breakin period with any new Toyota these days. Congratulations on your 4Runner, you should really enjoy the new 8 cylinder engine and improved ride.

Ed I
06-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Soon to follow, all the latest attire from Orvis.

Well Montana is changing fast, I have to dodge new SUVs walking to work everyday. I'm thinking of starting to pack a police baton, you come close I'll knock out a tail light, you stop I like my chances.

Enjoy, they are a nice rig, can I use that word in SF.

andyfox
06-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Congrats on the new car. I've always been told not to drive over 65 MPH the first 1500 miles and, if on the freeway, to vary your speed every 15 minutes or so. Don't know if that's still the case, I'd check with my salesman (who should have told you) or the manual.

M2d
06-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Oh, Orvis is soooo passe Boris will soon be spotted snapping digi photos or baldies swooping down on cutts as he munches on tofu snacker-doodles.
nice ride, btw /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

TJSWAN
06-20-2003, 04:24 PM
In 1988 I bought my first truck, a Toyota Xtra Cab 4X4.
It's been through heck and back, gave it to my little bro a couple years ago w/ over 150,000 miles on it and he promptly took it out to the canyonlands of Utah.

So I'm sitting at my desk and I get a phone call from his girfriend and I'm like "uh oh, what happened? , isn't he in Utah??" /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

He was. Just a flat tire and they didn't know how to get it from under the bed. Lucky they managed to get cell service in the middle of the Utah wilderness.

Most reliable thing I've ever owned. Keep on eye on the tire pressure too.

Tim

Gitz
06-20-2003, 05:58 PM
Boris,

Make sure you change your oil at 2000-2500 miles. My mechanic said that they don't use much detergent or whatever they use as a preservative in the oil they put in a new car. Of course I went 4500 miles before I changed mine and caught hell from him. But I didn't know because I never owned a brand new car before. I won't forget that's for sure.

Good luck Paul

Ray Zee
06-20-2003, 10:51 PM
the main thing is to not get the temps up , thats why you dont drive too fast, and to drive it at varying rpm's. this will help the rings seat properly. after about two tanks of gas they should be fine.
follow pauls advice with the early oil change. as the breakin goes you make alot of metal for the first 100 or so miles.