PDA

View Full Version : Q-10 suited gutshot

Noo Yawk
06-20-2003, 02:09 PM
10-20, extremely loose-passive dream game.
Some info:
This is the type of game where you are going to the river. Bluffing, semi-bluffing and folding marginal hands are not options. Value betting and loose river calls are the way to go here. Even strong non-nut hands will not make you pay too much.

3 limpers to me in MP with Qs-10s, I call, Button calls, both blinds come in.

7 see the flop: 2s-7c-8d
Checked to me, I check, Button bets, 4 callers, I call.

Turn: Jh
Checked to me, I check, button bets, same 4 still call.
Given that:

1) there are 11.5 BB's in the pot.(A bit less counting the $5 rake).

2)I'm closing the action

3)My gutshot is to the nuts

4)I have a table full of people who will pay me off

5)My Q overcard may or may not be good, but I do have an overcard.

Does anybody not call here? The pot odds are a bit slim, but the implied odds are there. What are your thoughts?

Softrock
06-20-2003, 02:14 PM
If i'd gotten to the turn I would indeed call. However, I think the flop call was a pretty big mistake. I say this mainly because there will be too many times when you hit a Q or a T and will have to pay off someone who has you outkicked or has already flopped a bigger hand. Also, you will very frequently turn a draw and then not get there. IMHO you have trapped yourself with the flop call.

rtrombone
06-20-2003, 02:51 PM
The flop call will definitely get you in trouble in the long run, even against weak opponents.

You have the pot odds to go for the inside straight if all 4 9s are live. Given that there are four other callers, is it possible that one of them has a 9 and is trying to make some kind of straight himself?

My habit is to discount my outs if there's a reasonable chance they're not all live. Your position is pretty good, though. You can get a good value raise in if one of the EP guys bets the river.

That's something of a big if. It's unfortunate that the guy who's been driving the action is to your immediate left. If it's checked to him, will he bet the river?

It's close. My decision would probably turn on how I'm running that night.

elysium
06-20-2003, 02:58 PM
hi noo
clear call.

Zele
06-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Immediate pot odds: 11.5-1
(Nut) Draw odds: 10.5-1

You have the edge. If this is too small an edge for you to commit one big bet to, you are drastically overbetting your bankroll.

MD_
06-21-2003, 07:28 AM
Just to beat it to death... your flop call was bad. You're getting nice odds, but all you really have are two weak overcards, which are likely not good considering all those limpers. You could easily be against Q8, T7 etc. If I had to guess an amount, I'd say you lost about 1/4BB on that call. (By the way, I think this is a good way of indicating the magnitude of a mistake, in BB).

-MD

Noo Yawk
06-21-2003, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I'll give everyone that the flop call was REAL thin. That's why I sort of glossed over it in my post /forums/images/icons/cool.gif !!
I don't usually find games as good as this one, so I probably got a bit cocky. This is not a flop call I would normally make.
I did have the slight hope of seeing a freebie until the button bet, I then inteneded to fold, but when all that action came back around to me, I decided that I had the odds to try and pick-up a few outs on the turn. Had I not been closing the action here, or if the field weren't so weak, I would have folded.( Even as I talk through it, sounds real thin /forums/images/icons/blush.gif .)