PDA

View Full Version : To All 2+2ers around Austin

11-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Im gonna be moving to San Marcos to go to Texas State in the spring, I'll be there in Dec., and I dont know any cool places in Austin/surrounding area. SO! Im wanting to know if we cuold get some type of get together in that area, Im down to buy some drinks and [censored].

We could do some of the Crimson Challenges I wanna do then as well. If not, can yall tell me some of the cool [censored] to do around Austin?

thanks.

shant
11-09-2005, 03:54 PM
It's really hard not to find something cool to do in Austin. I was there and went out on a Tuesday and found 6 or 7 bars that were full of people partying on a Tuesday, and school wasn't even in session. You can start on 6th Street.

11-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah, my cousin that lives in South Austin was telling me that 6th street has more bars than all of d-town houston.

Im not a huge clubbing/party guy. I meant more of the badass restaurants and stuff like that. Also, I ride bikes, freestyle on street, and offroad, so Im lookin for places to do that.

The only thing I'd normally be worried about, an mj hookup, is taken care of.

tdarko
11-09-2005, 03:58 PM
6th st., great live music and bars.

that's about it.

joshman1204
11-09-2005, 04:21 PM
for biking you can check out barton springs with the mountain bike or hit up 620 for some good road biking. As far a restraunts go head out to lake travis and try carlos and charlies or the oasis for a good time.

MonkeeMan
11-09-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for biking you can check out barton springs with the mountain bike or hit up 620 for some good road biking. As far a restraunts go head out to lake travis and try carlos and charlies or the oasis for a good time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the Oasis still open? It might smell a little smokey.

Eat TexMex at Chuy's.

Head out to Enchanted Rock and bike in that area.

tdarko
11-09-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eat TexMex at Chuy's.

[/ QUOTE ]
mmmmmmm, this is the correct dining answer.

imported_anacardo
11-09-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eat TexMex at Chuy's.

[/ QUOTE ]
mmmmmmm, this is the correct dining answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

The CORRECT correct answer is Guero's and it is, as the kids say, not even close.

joshman1204
11-09-2005, 04:44 PM
yea oasis reopened the next weekend and I belive they are fully rebuilt now.

I never cared to much for the biking around enchanted rock but I guess each his own.

I'll second chuys I almost forgot about that place but it is awesome and also try some rudys bar-b-q

11-09-2005, 04:46 PM
I actually have one you guys might not know. Go to south austin, by the brodie lane area, and order dumplings from "wok on fire", 15 for 4.99... best damn dumplings ever.

Plus, Im not sure if any of you know this place, but me and my cousin were stoned out of our minds, and he took me to this 24 hour diner, all chrome and baby blue, where they served chinese food.

tdarko
11-09-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The CORRECT correct answer is Guero's and it is, as the kids say, not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is why dallas > austin.

imported_anacardo
11-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Oh for God's sake if you want 'cue drive out to the Salt Lick. Or Stubbs' downtown. Or, best play - drive out to Luling or Taylor or any of half a dozen other little Hill Country hamlets where the local country store serves up some of the best stuff on earth.

11-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I had family in the hill country, Elgin sausage is the [censored].

thanks guys, this is the type o info I need so that I dont look like a noob when I suggest a chick should go get some food with me.

imported_anacardo
11-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Are you mad? I mean, I like Joe T. Garcia's and... that place in Dallas with the brisket tacos... as much as the next guy, but...

MonkeeMan
11-09-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not to hijack, but DALLAS SUCKS

11-09-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not to hijack, but DALLAS SUCKS

[/ QUOTE ]

umm, I agree.

Hey, to any of you who are/have been at Texas State/SWT, Im having trouble finding a place to stay, I need to rent a room, and craigslist only gave me back two, all females, and I dont want those issues.

Where else can I look?

And one more thing... Im gonna be up there tomorrow till monday, and permanently starting after thanksgiving, so how soon can we get these crimson challenges goin???

tdarko
11-09-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you mad? I mean, I like Joe T. Garcia's and... that place in Dallas with the brisket tacos... as much as the next guy, but...

[/ QUOTE ]
if you think food/dining is better in austin rather than dallas then you are mistaken, i am not only talking about tex-mex but places like III forks, Bob's chophouse ( linky...top ten steakhouses in the country (http://www.primesteakhouses.com/)), smith & wollensky, the keg (for all you canadians) etc., i could go on and on but i won't.

i like austin and all but dallas just has so much more to offer than austin which is expected seeing that it is twice as big.

imported_anacardo
11-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Bob's is a superpowerful institution. My proposal that the state capitol be moved to the original location fell on deaf ears, sadly.

Cosimo
11-09-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We could do some of the Crimson Challenges I wanna do then as well. If not, can yall tell me some of the cool [censored] to do around Austin?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are bars and clubs on 6th street, and also in the Wharehouse District (roughly Colorado, 4th, and 5th). There's maybe 50-60 along 6th street. Dance clubs are often on side streets, tho there's a cluster of five at Congress and 5th. Note that ALL of this stuff is in walking distance -- less than a 1/2 mile from a couple of the parking garages.

Fine restaurants downtown include Louie's 106 (106 E 6th), Mezzaluna, a few other local faves, plus the local Ruth's Chris. Salt Lick (BBQ) is about 30min south of town; Stubb's is on east 8th (7th?) @ Red River; Rudy's has fivish outlets in the 'burbs. Good sushi: Musashino or Uchi. I'm not a big fan of Sullivan's for steak, but it does good business (it's also a good place to find $$$ hookers -- or so I hear).

Sports on Lake Travis if that's your thing. I don't mountain bike or hike, but enough other people do that you can prolly find something that way, including a place to rent bikes. Caving is good hereabouts, and I've seen strong indications of scuba too, possibly related to caving even.

Alamo Drafthouse for movies. The one downtown has cheesy flicks, special events, cult classics, and old faves; the others have first-run films. Great for watching that new comedy that you have to see but you know it'll suck, so get drunk!

There's some graveyard p***r about, but I haven't chased that down.

Austin stripclubs are generally high-mileage. Dunno where Ice Bats hockey happens, but it's in season. I would think one could tour the capitol but I haven't done that in twenty years. UT games are a zoo, of course. I bet there's some kind of art [censored] here and there but I can't even pretend to care. Central Market (Lamar @ 38th-ish) for a grand selection of groceries. Whole Foods (Lamar @ 5th) for granola. The Arboretum (area, 183 @ Mopac) for schmancy shops, bookstores, Dave n Busters, etc. If you need to hit a mall for, you know, mall stuff, try south 360 @ Mopac (NW corner, Barton Springs), 620 @ 183 (SW corner, Lakeline), and 35 @ 290 (55th-ish, NW corner, Highland).

Lots of live music. Pick up a Chronicle (www.auschron.com) for live music acts, events, as well as general announcements for all of this other stuff.

MonkeeMan
11-09-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alamo Drafthouse for movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

gold.

crosse91
11-09-2005, 06:52 PM
good post...but [ QUOTE ]
UT games are The [censored], of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ulysses
11-09-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Salt Lick (BBQ)

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the correct BBQ answer.

crosse91
11-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Ruby's is pretty good as well, but i am highly partial to the Salt Lick's sauce.

Cosimo
11-09-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Salt Lick (BBQ)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Second-to-last time I went to Salt Lick, I got my leg broken. Yes, it's that good.

imported_anacardo
11-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Gonna have to hear how you managed this one.

Mars357
11-09-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Salt Lick (BBQ)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just ate at the Salt Lick last Saturday.... yummmmmmmm!

wonderwes
11-09-2005, 08:42 PM
There is something very important to state here. San Marcos is a horrid town. Now sure, there are a lot of people that live in the apts, and SWT (which is howt I still call the university) is a nice school. Plenty of people, nice classes, and overall small town feel. However the city of San Marcos is boring to live in. If you go visit the city for a day you'll see why.

Many people I know live in Austin (south side) and just do the 20-25 min commute to class. Its not that bad of a commute as long as you live near the freeway on the southside.

A really good tip I always recommend. Take classes at Austin Community college. Why go to a community college, with classes of a lesser grading/studying level? For a Texas student you have to take a lot of core circumlum classes for any major. 6hrs govt, 6hrs english, 6hrs history, a speech class, fine arts class, etc.

You take a full load of classes at SWT/Txstate you'll pay like 2k in tuition. However, you take the exact same classes at ACC, a full semester will only run $600.

The best part is any state school in Texas has to accept your credits that you earned in community college. Plus all you need is a C grade for the credit to transfer. It wont even go on your main university GPA.

So you could have the option take 1 or 2 classes at SWT, then take the other classes at ACC. Then send in the transcript at the end of the semester, and get credit for that class at SWT.

Austin > San Marcos by far.