PDA

View Full Version : Am i playing way above my limits?

john kane
11-09-2005, 07:13 AM
Hi,

I can afford to lose around $5,000 in poker without it causing that much financial problems, although obviously i really wouldnt. The problem it causes me a lot of annoyance (i keep thinking 'argh' when im not playing) even if i lose $500, and especially yesterday when i lost $700.

I play the 200NL and 400NL, usually 2x200NL SH and 1x400NL. Am i playing way above my bankroll? considering it causes me much annoyance, although i do not tilt (i think), just to lose 3 buy ins, or is this something everyone deals with and i should just learn to accept this?

I think the problem is that my bankroll is also my spending money, so that is where the disaster lies i think, just that ive won over $10K this year (most of it been spent) and i know i can win a decent amount (for me) and just becuase i do not have the finances makes it annoying if i were not to play the 400NL.

any thoughts? anyone want to stake me? (second question is not serious, but if anyone wants to ill give you great rate of return!)

11-09-2005, 07:37 AM
quick, delete your post before you start getting constantly harassed from people wanting to stake you

Kirkrrr
11-09-2005, 08:28 AM
5K is fine for 200NL and borderline for 400 unless you're head and shoulders above the competition. I'd seriously suggest keeping your BR and your personal finances totally separate. When you lose a buy-in on a single hand b/c a move went wrong and you got called with bottom pair, you shouldn't have to think what you could've bought with that money as that severely cripples your ability to play to your potential.

Kirk

Richie Rich
11-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Business Rule #13: You have to spend money to make money.

Hattifnatt
11-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Definitely stick to NL200 and below until you have at least 10 grand as a Bankroll (not spending money).

thabadguy
11-09-2005, 12:36 PM
I really dont think the rule of thumb of 20 buyins is accurate or a good guideline for any1.
I think the minimum ideal is the point when you dont care about playing correctly and not worry if u drop a few buyins.
It could be 8,10,15 or even 30 buyins.
That is something you have to decide.

captZEEbo1
11-09-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really dont think the rule of thumb of 20 buyins is accurate or a good guideline for any1.
I think the minimum ideal is the point when you dont care about playing correctly and not worry if u drop a few buyins.
It could be 8,10,15 or even 30 buyins.
That is something you have to decide.

[/ QUOTE ]very good advice here.

Hattifnatt
11-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Very good point, I had this problem before, caring to much about the worth of the money and therefore playing less than optimal, I still have it sometimes. And it certainly looks like this guy have that problem.

But who don't worry after a dropping a few buy-ins with a start of 8 buy-ins bankroll? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

thabadguy
11-09-2005, 03:31 PM
His name is thabadguy.

scdavis0
11-09-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His name is thabadguy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's fortunate that your obvious mental sickness translates so well into a super strong NL hold em game. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

WhoIam
11-09-2005, 05:39 PM
That br isn't ideal but it should be ok if you can avoid tilting and are willing to drop down to NL$100 if you take a big hit.