PDA

View Full Version : I'm never gonna graduate college.

tonypaladino
11-09-2005, 05:52 AM
I have a Philosophy (logic & moral reasoning) test tomorrow at 10:45 AM. I have not been to the class in 4 weeks, and I have no idea what's going on. I had planned to cram for the exam tonight, but now I can't find my textbook anywhere.

I am royally f*cked. I'm now most likely going to have to drop the class and take it in the January winter session (which thanfully my school just added this week).

I hate my life. I honestly think I'd be better off just dropping out of college right now, 13 credits short of a degree and becoming a drifter or degenerate gambler or something.

I'm so tired, but I drank 3 cups of coffee while I was watching the WSOP off the Tivo so I could stay up to study afterwards.

So far, for the most part, the first 22 years of my life have mostly sucked. I somehow can't see the next 30-60 years being much better.

How the [censored] does anyone stay motivated in life? I'm sorry to ramble on and on, but I haven't more than 1 normal night of sleep in a row since March and I'm in one of my 4 am delirium modes.

jgorham
11-09-2005, 06:04 AM
Meh. I hate college too. But I know I need a degree, so I just make it work. Motivate yourself through knowing you did a lot less work than the rest of the class and still got a good grade. I just got back from a Broken Social Scene concert, now I am on 2+2, and I have a test tomorrow at 10am in a class I have attended only once. Also I didn't buy the textbook. But since I know I need to get my [censored] done, I will stay up until 9am studying, and am willing to put significant money on me getting at least a B. Its a philosophy class, not advanced engineering!

In any case, the way to motivate yourself is to have a system of goals. If your whole life has sucked, and you are afraid the rest of it is going to as well, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. You are the only one who knows what would make you happy. I am sure something is out there, just find it and work hard for it. My goals happen to all require a college degree, and I do much better (and am more motivated) since I have made this mental association between college and my future.

Anyway hope this made sense, but the key is making yourself happy. It is possible.

11-09-2005, 06:13 AM
Econ test in.........6 hours. Don't know what I'm doing. For a stupid freshman, college doesn't seem that hard, just like high school pretty much, but I can see how not doing your work and studying and all that crap might actually make a difference when youre, I dunno, 22?

BTW, I was suprised that you are 22. The challenge video made me think you were 25-27ish.

Eurotrash
11-09-2005, 06:16 AM
hang in there, Tony.

try to think positive: the stick of butter is half-consumed rather than there is an entire half left

housenuts
11-09-2005, 06:19 AM
meh. i'm supposed to graduate in december. i took 6 courses this semester just so i could finish off my measly history degree. of the marks i've received so far i'm failing 3 courses, and barely passing another. the other 2 courses i haven't had any marks for but i'm so far behind and know absolutely nothing for them because i haven't needed to know anything.

i had a 10 page paper worth 50% due last friday. i still haven't started it yet. the other paper i had to do so far this year i handed in 2 weeks late.

i didn't go to my first latin test because i was hungover.

everything is in shambles. will i graduate? i dunno, but i told my friend i'd give him $100 if i didn't

diebitter
11-09-2005, 06:26 AM
You're sleep deprived and under pressure. Life can be beautiful, just stop and look for it.

Life does suck badly in places, but just take your pleasure where you find it.

A cigarette, chilling to the TV, an orgasm, a piece of chocolate, enjoying silence, kissing, the oblivion of sleep...

Now smoke that baby, turn off the tube, jerk one out, have the choccy, shut up and kiss your ass goodnight and go to bed!

SmileyEH
11-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Take some tife off. I've been bumming around europe for the last 2 months - you don't need to a lot of money to do it, just buy a ticket and go.

-SmileyEH

young nut
11-09-2005, 06:35 AM
I have 6 hours left to finish and I really couldn't care either if I had my degree or not. Its just a dumb piece of paper at this point, and tests and classes seem just as pointless. I just figure I might as well stick it out and get the proof that I suffered through 5 years of crap.

11-09-2005, 06:39 AM
Honestly Tony, you ate 4 [censored] sticks of butter, and you're gonna let a test stop you?

sack up brother! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I feel you though, Im in the middle of trying to get all my trainscripts + FAFSA in, and the deadline is coming up. I have to get a place, get a job, all that crap.. not to mention I'd be happier not in college.

We all do it.

Just think of that test like a stick of butter... pwn that biatch! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jokerthief
11-09-2005, 06:42 AM
The best thing you could do is drop out and go to a technical college and learn a skill in a one or two year program. This route will be a lot easier to motivate you toward going to class since you won't be required to take a bunch of general classes. Go out into the work force for a few years and make a little bit of money. Get a savings, then go back to college and finish your degree.

You are young and have all the time in the world. There is no need to rush into your final career decision right away. You can always go back to college.

On a side note, have you ever thought about seeing a doctor for Adult ADD? Many people with ADD have the exact same experiences in college. I happen to be one of them. I ended up dropping out because I couldn't motivate myself to go to class. I turned to poker for a short term job and I plan on going back to college down the road. After I was diagnosed with ADD and got on proper medication, everything started to click. It was like a weight was taken off my back. I'm 26 now and think I will continue to play poker for another 3-4 years before I go back. I bet you are younger than me so you have even more time than I do to experience the world and grow up a little before returning to school.

gulebjorn
11-09-2005, 06:46 AM
I've spent a few years in my life feeling the same way. Dropped out of college, became a worker, got tired of that life too, lived on welfare for a few months. It took me a while to get my [censored] together and go back to college. I'm graduating next summer, at the respectable age of 27.

It's not always easy, but you'll find a way. It just takes some time.

The Yugoslavian
11-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Life is pretty easy. You gotta just get comfortable and ride it out.

Most people make life waaaaaaaaaay too hard for themselves.

What are you doing in a class that you're never going to?

Find one you're going to enjoy thinking about and show up, think about interesting [censored] and then pass the tests/papers/whatever.

As for staying motivated....you don't really have to be, you just have to realize that you can have fun or enjoy almost any of the activities that you routinely and/or desperately try to avoid.

Yugoslav

captZEEbo1
11-09-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm in the same boat, school blows, I have no motivation, and I'm a senior. I switched to part-time and I'm only taking 5 credits/semester while being a fulltime gamblor. This is working out better for me as it's really easy to get the work done for the classes I'm taking.

RunDownHouse
11-09-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm sad. I thought for sure this was going to be a celebratory post about how awesome college is. You know, what with little to no responsibility, amazing, willing women everywhere, someone around to drink with 24/7, etc.

dcasper70
11-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Relax, you're 22.

You won't figure this crap out until 26 or 27. Just do the $hit you know you gotta do, the rest will eventually fall into place.

fnord_too
11-09-2005, 10:33 AM
I cannot believe all these "school blows" remarks. There are some people who prefer the working world to college. There are a lot more who think they will prefer the working world to college and then realize just how sweet college is.

To the OP, with only 13 credits left you really should have figured out you need to put in at least a minimal effort even if you are just coasting to a degree. So you won't be graduating in December but in May instead, big deal. Do you already have a job lined up for when you graduate? If not, then this is nothing, in fact, it will give you a semester to look for one (if you are not planning on going to grad school, which sounds pretty doubtful).

Get some sleep, everything seems a lot worse when you are sleep deprived.

TheWorstPlayer
11-09-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So far, for the most part, the first 22 years of my life have mostly sucked. I somehow can't see the next 30-60 years being much better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you say 30/60?

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-09-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sad. I thought for sure this was going to be a celebratory post about how awesome college is. You know, what with little to no responsibility, amazing, willing women everywhere, someone around to drink with 24/7, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
No [censored]. Quit complaining, [censored]!

xadrez
11-09-2005, 10:51 AM
I had a mantra back when I was a lazy, unmotivated undergrad. Basically, no matter how unprepared I was, or how little I attended class, I would always repeat in my head over and over that I would get a B. It calmed me down and funny enough it usually worked. I guess I can really pile on the boolsheet when I my ass is against the wall.

Honestly though, I went through the same thing in school around the middle of my junior year. I switched majors, and decided to take only 2-3 classes a semester. I caught a shitstorm from my mother, as my decision meant an extra year of school, so I told her I would pay for school from that moment on. I applied for more financial aid and bumped up my hours at work, plus worked a ton in the summers.

This worked out well, I took 2-3 classes a semester, and worked to pay the bills. Best thing I could of done as it taught me to live without others paying the bills and I learned to value my classes even though I still was a chronic procrastinator and not the most studious guy.

You have 12 credits left. Do what you need to do to finish. I think youll find that dropping out now is not the best choice. Maybe you can make-up the Philosophy class and take it in the summer?

mason55
11-09-2005, 10:59 AM
I would give anything to go back to college. /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

turnipmonster
11-09-2005, 11:01 AM
dude, it's 12 credits. I never understand ppl who drop out of school with a semester or less of credits to go.

Shajen
11-09-2005, 11:03 AM
I agree.

Tony: Sack the [censored] up dude. The Crimson challenge butter eater I know wouldn't cave in to a wussy few credits.

RunDownHouse
11-09-2005, 11:10 AM
A really good friend of mine recently started at Cornell. He's 24. His dad is a doctor, and he was really pressured to also be a doctor, so he started at KU in premed back in 2000. He was miserable, rarely socialized, and tried to tell himself just to get through school.

By sophomore year he realized he hated what he had allowed his college experience to become. He dropped out of KU and went to the CIA (think chefs not spies) instead, doctor be damned. Now, after graduating near the very top of his class from the CIA and spending 4 months learning in France, he's back in college, in the food science program.

Two weekends ago he got numbers from four different women at one party, all ranging in age from an 18-year old freshman to a 23-year old vet student. Last weekend he had two dates. He's having the time of his life because he realizes that he doesn't have to get up at 4am to go to work. He's studying something in which he's very interested and highly motivated. There's a great social scene. Its [censored] college, for god's sake, and he's not going to waste the experience twice. He's learned his lesson.

einbert
11-09-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Find one you're going to enjoy thinking about and show up, think about interesting [censored] and then pass the tests/papers/whatever.

As for staying motivated....you don't really have to be, you just have to realize that you can have fun or enjoy almost any of the activities that you routinely and/or desperately try to avoid.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good post. I think your advice is spot on. When I came to this realization college became soooooo much more bearable.

11-09-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good post. I think your advice is spot on. When I came to this realization college became soooooo much more bearable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some classes are mandatory.

Dominic
11-09-2005, 01:02 PM
yeah, your life sucks.

Think of all the people lucky enough not to live in this country like you, not able to go to college and waste the opportunity like you, not able to have three squares a day like you.

Yeah, your life sucks.

Boo fricken hoo, Slacker.

tonypaladino
11-09-2005, 01:10 PM
I just read my post, and after sleeping for a few hours, I want to clarify something.

I'm not sure where this:

[ QUOTE ]

How the [censored] does anyone stay motivated in life?

[/ QUOTE ]

came from. I'm not a depressed person at all, and I feel like I have a pretty good life overall. I think this was my brain frying on sleep deprevation and excess caffienne.

BeerMoney
11-09-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, your life sucks.

Think of all the people lucky enough not to live in this country like you, not able to go to college and waste the opportunity like you, not able to have three squares a day like you.

Yeah, your life sucks.

Boo fricken hoo, Slacker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on.

tolbiny
11-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Meh-
6 years ago i dropped out of college, spent a year in a forestry program, went back, dropped out again, lived lke a bum in san diego for a few months, moved back in with the parents, got a crap job, moved out, got a better paying crap job, bought a house, quit, started playing poker professionally and went back to school at 25. Two semesters later and i am not going to finish my degree.
If you hear any good advice in this thread make sure to PM it to me, cause all the fools who say you will figure it out around 26-27, i ain't figured it out yet.

SackUp
11-09-2005, 01:36 PM
I would just drop out of college in make a living on the 2+2 Crimson challenge tour. You could travel from city to city and compete in the challenges. Clearly a better idea than staying in college.

Seriously though, just to echo what everyone above has said. College is fcking AWESOME. Enjoy the last time you have at it. But also find something that you really want to do. This may take some failed attempts, but you have lots of time to figure it out.

benza13
11-09-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this was my brain frying on sleep deprevation and excess caffienne.

[/ QUOTE ]

Butter Hangover?

Probably a little late for this advice, but it is likely you could have bs'ed the prof with some excuse and made up the exam at a later date. That way you could take it when your head was a little clearer and maybe find that pesky textbook so you can pass the class this semester. If you have to take it over at this point, then do that. If you are this close (and this far in monetarily) there is no reason you should be giving up now.

Cosimo
11-09-2005, 02:06 PM
The benefit to a college degree, when you're just 13 credits away, is more huger than the remaining cost. It matters to some people; it matters A LOT to others. Yeah, sure, lots of people don't care, but having that little piece of paper is a big milestone.

You will never regret finishing your degree. You might (I think most likely) regret not finishing.

11-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Dear Tony:

Please understand that what you are feeling is a normal occurrence for people who consume a pound or more of our product in one sitting. The effects are temporary and shall subside within a week or two.

We regret the negative impact our product has caused you, and do hope you continue to use our products, but recommend you do so in a more moderate fashion.

Warm regards,

G. Swift III
Customer Support
Land O Lakes

11-09-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Tony:

Please understand that what you are feeling is a normal occurrence for people who consume a pound or more of our product in one sitting. The effects are temporary and shall subside within a week or two.

We regret the negative impact our product has caused you, and do hope you continue to use our products, but recommend you do so in a more moderate fashion.

Warm regards,

G. Swift III
Customer Support
Land O Lakes

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, thats effing classic.

RustedCorpse
11-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Awesome gimmick, best in awhile

turnipmonster
11-09-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is more huger than the remaining cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

sage words. the value of a good education is more huger than just about anything.

MrTrik
11-09-2005, 04:39 PM
I went through a tough time in the early part of my last year in college. I put myself through college and one day I decided I was [censored] tired of being broke. So I pushed myself to get a 22 credit quarter out of the way. I actually had to petition to a board to get ok'd to take that many credits.

I never regret that decision and if you decide to get things finished up you probably won't either. Getting that piece of paper will pay off for the rest of your work life, or at least until you hit that home run.

pyroponic
11-14-2005, 06:03 PM
One thing no one mentioned is just take 8 credit hours a semester and make $100k a year playing middle-limit hold'em poker.

lighterjobs
11-14-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
#3898178 - 11/09/05 11:10 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess you missed your class.

partygirluk
11-14-2005, 07:12 PM
It sounds like college is not for you. It sounds like you are deeply unhappy when not doing something you want to. It sounds like you wouldn't get long term satisfaction from gambling for a career. I hope you can find something you love, and someone you love, and things should turn out OK. Your feelings are not at all rare.

tonypaladino
11-14-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
#3898178 - 11/09/05 11:10 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess you missed your class.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did miss the class that day. I am withdrawing from the class and taking it in the January intersession.

TONY