PDA

View Full Version : 8 Simple Rules for Being a Trendy Emo Kid

11-09-2005, 05:36 AM
The younger crowd here might get a kick out of this.. my friend Ashley and I collaborated to make this list on how to be an MTV-watching emo kid:

1. Your outfit must consist of all black. You also have to wear little cut-out gloves, and eighteen braceletes on either arm, even though it weighs your scrawny little wrists down. Tell people the bracelets cover your cut marks. If you need clothing assistance, just buy<font color="green">* </font> everything at Hot Topic.

Shopping list for boys: Quality flat iron for your hair, the tightest chick pants you can spill over the top of, black Pumas, shirts of bands that only 30 people have heard of (size YL) and at least two facial piercings. Also, black hair dye, and a bleach kit for that chic chunk of white in the back.

Shopping list for girls: The biggest pants you can use a big giant belt to help fit into, black shirts of bands that you're pretty sure other people listen to, the aforementioned braceletes and jewelry, dye (black or dark red), and no hair conditioner. You can either wear too much makeup or not enough, it's your choice.

<font color="green">*Note: Have your rich parents buy it for you.</font>

2. Spend a lot of your time on the computer at home. Break off the "shift" and the "caps lock" keys on your computer. You CANNOT use them, under ANY circumstances.

3. Take as many pictures of yourself as possible. Never smile in them. Try to look like you've just been raped. Girls, be sure to have the "stock emo picture" of yourself - that is, where you're half sitting/half laying by a door in the corner, with a very short black dress on, with no makeup, with your legs barely crossed. If you're a boy, be sure to look like you're trying REALLY hard to look like you're not trying to look like anything.

4. Listen to emo music as much as possible. Just google search "emo bands", and listen to whatever pops up. Tell other people that you listen to them. Examples include Fugazi, Dashboard Confessional, The Get Up Kids, and Saves the Day. If someone catches you, and asks you what songs you like by those artists, you can do one of two things:

-a- Tell them you like "all of them, the individual songs aren't important"
-b- Make up an emo-sounding song title, like "Rainy Days." If they tell you they haven't heard of it, tell them it's a B-side.

5. Think of the saddest thing in your life. Got it in your head? Now NEVER FORGET IT. Always look like you're on the verge of tears. But never tell anyone the real reason why you're sad. The only correct reasons to be sad while emo are ranked in the following order:

-bronze medal- I'm sad because the world is dark and cold.
-silver medal- I'm sad because this girl broke up with me and doesn't like me anymore.
-gold medal- I'm sad because this girl that I've never talked to doesn't know who I am.

6. Never compliment yourself. Tell everyone you're ugly all the time, even though you spend hours getting your hair elegantly disheveled. Fish for compliments as often as possible. The prettier you are, the uglier you have to say you are. It's like the movie "She's All That." You know what I'm talking about? NO, you DON'T. You don't watch that kind of movie, emo kid. You only watch DONNIE DARKO. "It really spoke to me." Shut the [censored] up, no it did not. You watched it on a Tuesday night with your high school friends and didn't know what the hell happened when it ended. But someone said "That was intense" and you jumped on the bandwagon.

7. Guys must like girls who dress emo. It is important to say a girl is very pretty, even though you have no idea what she looks like because of the spiky black hair and dark makeup covering her face. Say you love her personality even though she doesn't show it. Girls must like hot guys who go to clubs and bars, but not tell anyone.

8. This is very important. ALWAYS refer to yourself as an emo kid. You have to constantly remind people of the label you've bestowed upon yourself. For example:

McDonald's employee) "Can I take your order?"
You) Do you have anything for emokids like me?"

NEVER LET PEOPLE FORGET YOUR LABEL, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT'S IMPORTANT IN LIFE!

Notorious G.O.B.
11-09-2005, 05:38 AM
That sounds more goth than emo. It's hard to say which is gayer.

tonypaladino
11-09-2005, 05:41 AM
tl;dr

AngryCola
11-09-2005, 05:44 AM
Some of this is funny. It is, however, weird that you concern yourself so much with how these people dress, act, and behave.

I'm not saying you're wrong about any of it, but it is odd to me that anyone would care enough about these silly people to write something like this.

JaBlue
11-09-2005, 05:44 AM
without reading this i am going to say that you are trying way too hard

KaneKungFu123
11-09-2005, 05:47 AM
to people asking him why he cares why do you care that he cares and dont even bother asking me why i care that you care that he cares, cause i dont really care.

11-09-2005, 05:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is, however, weird that you concern yourself so much with how these people dress, act, and behave.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all actuality, I enjoy peoplewatching. I get a kick out of watching people my age give my generation a bad name.

gulebjorn
11-09-2005, 05:51 AM
http://www.retarded.it/MagliettaPiccola.jpg

AngryCola
11-09-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why do you care that he cares

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't care if he cares.

Also, he is the one who posted a thread about it. We're just making comments about his post. It's not like any of us started a thread about why the OP is so concerned with these people.

11-09-2005, 05:52 AM
Im not sure if this is emo, but the clothing that I hate my generation wearing is in two groups:
1) Preppy-I dont have to go into this.
2) Not sure what to call it-tight pants, 70's shirts, huuuuge sunglasses/belts on girls,messy hair,vintage t-shirts (skin-tight of course) etc.

MyTurn2Raise
11-09-2005, 06:01 AM
Saves the Day and Dashboard are awesome

I'm serious too

BCPVP
11-09-2005, 06:06 AM
Apparently (http://www.dobi.nu/emo/) this has already been done.

*found googling what the hell "emo" means.

shant
11-09-2005, 06:09 AM
Yes, these kids are definitely giving your generation a bad name. Adults have stopped worrying about everything going on in the world and have decided everyone in your age group is worthless because of a select group of teenager dressing a certain way. I'm sorry to break it to you so harshly.

Eurotrash
11-09-2005, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
without reading this i am going to say that you are trying way too hard

[/ QUOTE ]

I read (most of) it and you are correct, he did try too hard.

don't get me wrong, though, because emo is so gay.

Ianco15
11-09-2005, 06:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Saves the Day and Dashboard are awesome

I'm serious too

[/ QUOTE ]
Senses fail too.

spamuell
11-09-2005, 07:10 AM
At this point, I think the annoyingness of the "we're cool and original because we are emo" bandwagon has been superseded by that of the "we're cool and original because we hate emo" one.

11-09-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At this point, I think the annoyingness of the "we're cool and original because we are emo" bandwagon has been superseded by that of the "we're cool and original because we hate emo" one.

[/ QUOTE ]

and of course, the source of all this is the uber annoying "we're cool because we're in this group" bandwagon.

spamuell
11-09-2005, 07:21 AM
That was a stupid thing to say. Clearly, it was a pretty easy remark to make but it's just not true, because "this group" does not even remotely care about how emo kids or anyone else dresses and only cares very slightly about the group who hates emo kids, so does not define themselves by being in "this group", unlike the other two.

Why would you say something so stupid?

uw_madtown
11-09-2005, 08:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ilya
11-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Young people listen to emo these days, WTF?! I thought that was an 80s thing?

InchoateHand
11-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Fugazi is emo? Interesting. Retroactively tarnishing one band because of what dischord records became is roughly equal in lameness to the wannabe hipsterness of this post: only emo-dorks and hipsters sit around making lists about emo-dorks and hipsters, the rest of us are busy doing all the things emo-dorks and hipsters don't do. "People-watching" is the most frequent excuse of an exposed hipster.

astroglide
11-09-2005, 01:37 PM
fugazi isn't emo

SmileyEH
11-09-2005, 04:28 PM
I never had much against emokids, but then we went to Intonation in Chicago and all the scrawny kids were wearing aviators. Back home I was the only scrawny white kid with aviators. Bastards.

-SmileyEH

IndieMatty
11-09-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fugazi isn't emo

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. and the original "emo" crushes. the term is useless now.

twankerr
11-09-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Examples include Fugazi, Dashboard Confessional, The Get Up Kids, and Saves the Day

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard of some of these bands, therefore they are NOT emo. I've never heard of an emo band.

Jack of Arcades
11-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Fugazi is one of the best bands ever. 13 songs like a mofucka!

TheMainEvent
11-09-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fugazi isn't emo

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. and the original "emo" crushes. the term is useless now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always heard Fugazi referred to as the pioneers of Emo. I agree that they have basically nothing in common with the emo of today.

sfer
11-09-2005, 05:59 PM
I thought emo was like 2002.

Rushmore
11-09-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have always heard Fugazi referred to as the pioneers of Emo. I agree that they have basically nothing in common with the emo of today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fugazi is not emo. The thing that they were called BEFORE they were Fugazi and before Ian MacKaye was involved was about as emo as emo could possibly be, and, to the best of my knowledge, would be the first band to actually truly qualify for the title. They were called Rites of Spring.

There was an awful lot of emotion involved. A LOT of emotion.

I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Aloysius
11-09-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like this list is a weird combo of alot of annoying teenage stereotypes.

But it feels super-dated. Maybe it's cause I'm in LA - feels more midwest or east coast. All the teenagers out here wear as little as possible. And aviators. (I don't pay attention to the dudes.)

Exitonly
11-09-2005, 06:57 PM
that was awesome.

very well done.

Donnie Darko is the [censored] though. And Saves the Day isn't bad either. Oh, and i occasionaly wear all black. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

11-09-2005, 07:04 PM
I wasn't saying Donnie Darko was bad. I just think that at least half the people that watch it don't understand it, and go along with what one of their smarter friends said about it.

I think I'll make my second thread about hot chicks.. potentially less controversy. No, wait, that'll be MORE controversy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paluka
11-09-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fugazi isn't emo

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. Including Fugazi here pretty much takes the OP from the retarded level to the super-retarded.

PoBoy321
11-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey, how many emo kids does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Answer in white:
<font color="white"> None, they sit in the dark and cry. </font>

Also, about the picture thing, you forgot that they have to take it of themselves, from above, off-center and that they can never, EVER look at the camera (or, of course, smile).

11-09-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just google search "emo bands", and listen to whatever pops up ... Examples include Fugazi, Dashboard Confessional, The Get Up Kids, and Saves the Day.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I've never heard any songs by these bands. I google searched "emo bands" and listed what came up, like the rule says.