PDA

View Full Version : (75) final table short stack. Stop and Go, or what

sledghammer
11-09-2005, 05:25 AM
Final table of 165. 8 left, FULLTILT32 is chipleader, hes been stealing blinds liberally, but not with complete trash. I first considered all in preflop, but wasn't sure if i had the FE. I could of course just fold this outright, but as the shortstack, 8 handed, i figured i'd play it. All comments appreciated.

500/1000 Ante 125 - No Limit Hold'em - 1:50:12 ET - 2005/11/09
Seat 1: Fishskigolf (18,397)
Seat 2: sledghammer (11,214)
Seat 3: PearlJammed (43,445)
Seat 4: bigd921 (36,057)
Seat 6: DKRAYZ1 (19,325)
Seat 7: MrJonesN (22,104)
Seat 8: Stonekiller (29,836)
Seat 9: FULLTILT23 (67,122)

sledghammer posts the small blind of 500
PearlJammed posts the big blind of 1,000
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sledghammer [6c 6d]
bigd921 folds
DKRAYZ1 folds
MrJonesN folds
Stonekiller folds
FULLTILT23 raises to 2,875
Fishskigolf folds
sledghammer calls 2,375 leaving him with 8,214, and 7,250 in the pot.

loffe
11-09-2005, 05:59 AM
I am quite convinced that the one thing I donīt do here is call, but if you have your mind made up on how to proceed, it is probably doable. (stop and go could be one)

Furthermore it is hard to provide good advice without knowing the payout structure - if it is regularly steep, and you expect he might be raising with two overs, I am tempted by the all-in preflop, hoping for a coin-flip with a slight edge.

Lastly, you might actually have FE here but it certainly depends on the style of the villain - I mean, I could easyly see him raising, for instance K10o here, but calling an all-in for 20% of his stack, might be a bit more difficult.........

Well, I am rather new, so who knows - just my 2 cents....

11-09-2005, 06:03 AM
I would have pushed preflop without hesitation.
With his stack size and position he could be raising with any two cards.

11-09-2005, 06:22 AM
Push preflop.

sledghammer
11-09-2005, 06:24 AM
In a party style tournament, i would have pushed without hesitation too. but the antes really inflate the pot, and he was getting about 2-1 on a push by me.

EDIT: I suppose the advantage of keeping the big blind out makes a straight push instead of a stop and go better, no? Stop and go with slightly less chips? This seems like a text book situation for a stop and go.

sledghammer
11-09-2005, 06:43 AM
how does the payout structure effect it? because you'd rather double up for a better shot at a bigger money or go broke? because that sounds reasonable, since i would still be rather short after picking up this pot with a stop and go.

I didn't think i had any FE against this villain; from his previous action he seemed good enough to plan the raise so he could fold to BB's allin, but call mine.

11-09-2005, 07:37 AM
You need to move all in to get rid of the big blind. Then it's just a matter of winning the inevitable coin flip against the pre-flop raiser and you are up into 5th. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ansky451
11-09-2005, 07:45 AM
You do have folding equity. If you push and he folds, thats a real nice boost to your stack. If he calls, theres a good chance you have the best hand, and you could double up. I'm pushing this every time here.

11-09-2005, 08:00 AM
This is a very easy decision. It's an easy push. Why? With his stack and position he could do this with any two cards trying to get more chips to his stack and with your plan on just calling you allow him to hit his cards. I would push here making him take the hard decision and not me after an ace high flop.

loffe
11-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Hmmmm.....maybe structure wasnīt actually the right word.

What I meant, and I am new so I might be waaay of, was:

How much a difference does one spot make to you? (What kind of money are you playing for)

Would you make a lot just surviving one of your competitors or is it, more or less, the same up till the final 3.

If surviving means a lot of money, and "a lot" is for each and everyone to define, I am folding this, trying to take on some of my equals.

However, that is generally not the case, and therefor, you need a lot of chips in order to play for big money, hence my feelings on pushing from my previous post.

I hope I make, at least, a little sense......

Claus