PDA

View Full Version : Results (of the hand AND her final finish) - - -

huzitup2
06-20-2003, 06:09 AM
1. She called.

2. I cringed.

3. They both checked the flop; she bet.

4. She won the hand.

She got to the final table, was knocked out with 9-9 and finished sixth.

The payoff was decent, but of more importance was the fact that she made some EXCELLENT plays during the course of the tournament.

. . . I'll soon find out if this call was one of them.

. . . I thought it was reasonable but not correct.

If she is up against a bigger Ace and a pocket pair she is toast.

However, if she believes - and she claims to have - that she was up against two pocket pairs I cannot help but think she made a good call.

The problem is that she is a huge 'dog in the 1st case, and a small favorite in the second - and there is a big diferrence at that stage of the tournament between having $12,000 in front of you as opposed to $7,500; once she calls pre-flop she is almost going to have to call 90%+ of the time ON the flop.

I am looking forward to some interesting responses - and I WILL show them to her - but as I already mentioned, IMO she does have a good grasp of tournament tactics.

More importantly she loves them.

BTW, in an earlier tournament (field of ~ 150) she made that final table as well... much smaller payout and she was first to LEAVE the final table, but it's hard not to be a bit impressed.

"Poker is the love of my life; Omaha is my mistress".

- Chris

Al_Capone_Junior
06-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Your wife got any sisters?

Better to post the results as a reply to your first post than to start a new thread with the results. Confusing.

She's not a small favorite against any pair except pairs lower than 55. Two overcards are a small (6:5) favorite over a smaller pair. A pair like JJ is a favorite over A5.

I think it's folly to be that certain that you are against TWO pocket pairs, despite the fact she was, in this case, correct. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

al

CrackerZack
06-20-2003, 02:07 PM
44 is a favorite over A5, you have it backwards. this call is good. she's only about a 2.5-1 dog to AK if they have no clubs either.

Edit: facing both hands, a big pair and AK she's a small about better than a 6-1 dog so it makes the call very marginal.

Your Mom
06-20-2003, 11:59 PM
isn't a pair a favorite against two overcards?

Al_Capone_Junior
06-21-2003, 01:40 PM
"She's not a small favorite against any pair except pairs lower than 55. Two overcards are a small (6:5) favorite over a smaller pair. A pair like JJ is a favorite over A5."

Sorry, that was confusing. I see responses, so I had to check what I had said before I read them, and I see a glaring error. I think you knew what I meant tho. I suspect I'm about to get flamed.

66 is a small favorite (6:5) over two overcards. 66 is a bigger favorite over A5. A small pair is a small favorite over two overcards, not the other way around , like I had it. Sorry! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
al