PDA

View Full Version : Stop taking antibiotics?

TheBlueMonster
11-09-2005, 04:15 AM
to the resident Dr.'s of OOT:

Last week I got an infection below my right eye. It was swollen and tender and basically looked like someone punched me in the face. The doctor gave me some antibiotics and the swelling is completely gone 4 days later.
The doctor didn't give me instructions as to how long to take the pills and one of the pill bottles says to dose until pills are gone.
The meds aren't the biggest hassle to take though I can't eat for an hour, I can't drink alcohol and my pee turns orange....
When can I stop taking the medication? There's no evidence of an infection anymore.

Benholio
11-09-2005, 04:20 AM
Take it until they are gone.

From Antiobiotic info article (http://www.firsthealth.com/consumer/fh_antibiotic_resistance.html#myth3):

"Myth 3—It is okay to stop taking an antibiotic after your symptoms go away.

Absolutely not. You need to finish the entire prescription, even if you feel well or no longer experience symptoms. It is important to take an antibiotic exactly as the doctor prescribes. Not finishing the full dosage as prescribed leaves some bacteria alive and “resistant” to future antibiotic treatment.

By not completing the prescription or skipping doses, it is probable that the strongest of the bacteria still remain. These bacteria will continue to replicate and you will have to address the infection for a second time, this time facing a stronger opponent."

Tron
11-09-2005, 04:23 AM
ABSOLUTEY finish the antibiotics.

AdamL
11-09-2005, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. Bacteria infections are still around even after the symptoms are gone... and if they aren't wiped out, can "respawn" resistant to the anti-biotic you used... hence causing a problem.

BCPVP
11-09-2005, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
For your sake and ours.

JMP300z
11-09-2005, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
to the resident Dr.'s of OOT:

Last week I got an infection below my right eye. It was swollen and tender and basically looked like someone punched me in the face. The doctor gave me some antibiotics and the swelling is completely gone 4 days later.
The doctor didn't give me instructions as to how long to take the pills and one of the pill bottles says to dose until pills are gone.
The meds aren't the biggest hassle to take though I can't eat for an hour, I can't drink alcohol and my pee turns orange....
When can I stop taking the medication? There's no evidence of an infection anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finish the damn thing....you could kill someone otherwise.

And im serious.

-JP

icepick
11-09-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
For your sake and ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just another fine service provided by OOT. Take all your damn pills and like it.

Then read The Coming Plague (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0140250913/104-9050340-2263136?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance) to find out why.