PDA

View Full Version : QQ versus a 3-bet cold-caller

onegymrat
11-09-2005, 03:47 AM
I figure that I was probably going to showdown the minute I saw the flop, so my thoughts will follow. This is a new game at the 20/40 Commerce. Full table, second orbit, so the reads are not very clear. UTG limps, EP raises, folds to me in MP with Q /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif and I 3-bet. Player immediately to my left (Cold-caller - CC) rechecks his cards and pauses a bit and then cold-calls three bets. </font> BB calls two cold as do others. Five to the flop for 15 small bets.

FLOP: 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to me, I bet. CC raises. Two cold-callers, one fold. I call. Four to the turn for 11.5 big bets.

TURN: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me, I bet. CC pauses a bit and calls, UTG folds, EP calls. Three to the river for 14.5 big bets.

RIVER: 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to me, I bet. CC calls, EP folds.

My thoughts:
PF - Although CC played an aggressive game, I didn't notice anything too laggy, so his cold-call concerned me.
FLOP - He could very well have an overpair also, but 3-betting him now will probably not get it headsup. I figured that I will call now and bet into him on the turn in hopes he raises out the chasers. If he's only flushing, this could also prevent a free card.
TURN - He doesn't like my bet and only calls. Not much I can do but bet again.
RIVER - I hoped to see JJ.

lil feller
11-09-2005, 04:40 AM
I'm I the only one that thinks the flop is an easy 3 bet? He certainly doesn't have AA or KK. I'm not a pot equity expert, so correct me if i'm wrong, but I would have to think that unless he has exactly AK of spades, you have a better chance of winning this pot then anybody else still involved, and should 3 bet for value.

Your plan is flawed. By just calling and then leading again you're only inviting a raise from a better hand, he's not putting you on AK after you lead twice, an JJ will fear AA-QQ or a set. Maybe i'm wrong but I fastplay this like there's no tomorrow and get every bet I can out of the "chasers". This pot is so big you can't really force anybody into a mistake, so get the money in the middle and hope they miss...

lf

sweetjazz
11-09-2005, 04:45 AM
I'd 3-bet the flop and lead the turn. The extra equity you get from raising here is worth more than trying to parlay the CC into raising again on the turn and hoping that the other players fold for two bets when they wouldn't have folded for one on the turn.

The situation would be different if you had been check-raiesd on the flop. Then you might wait until the turn to raise, expecting the C/Rer to bet into you again on the turn.

The problem with leading into the CCer on the turn is that he is going to 3-bet hands that beat you and just call with hands that don't (more or less, you'll sometimes see JJ raise or KK just call).

sweetjazz
11-09-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This pot is so big you can't really force anybody into a mistake, so get the money in the middle and hope they miss...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds scrum-didley-umptious to me.

Brom
11-09-2005, 06:39 AM
First off, I'd like to put my vote in for a flop three bet. Now about what you said.

[ QUOTE ]

FLOP - He could very well have an overpair also, but 3-betting him now will probably not get it headsup. I figured that I will call now and bet into him on the turn in hopes he raises out the chasers. If he's only flushing, this could also prevent a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say there's some chance of him capping it if you 3-bet and he does have an overpair. This could have the desirable effect of getting overcards to fold, which is very good because no one wants to see an Ace of King come off. This is a small chance though I think (unless you are beat), so the real value is in immediate equity and the small possibility of it working out like mentioned above.

If you lead into him on the turn again it really helps to define your hand as an overpair. I'd read you as a slightly lower one (TT or JJ maybe), because of your lack of a flop cap. Either way he is going to be hard pressed to raise again without a hand that doesn't beat you, and you will end up not charging the draws as much as you could have.

Lastly, if he is on the flush then bet and raise away at him.

Fianchetto
11-09-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm usually 3-betting this flop and leading the turn.

With your position relative to the CC'er I think you are going to have a tough time of thinning the field, so I jam this while it looks like I have the best hand and everybody is trapped in between.

onegymrat
11-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Great replies as usual, thank you all. I figured with the pot that big I was going to have to ride it out. Tried to use CC to raise out others but the plan fell through. I agree with everyone that I should have just jammed it on the flop while I still had their draw.

Despite the efforts, on the river, EP folded, I proudly showed my QQ convinced that I won, but CC showed K /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif and takes the pot.