PDA

View Full Version : Can't Sleep.... (no politics)

lehighguy
11-09-2005, 02:47 AM
Despite working 12 hour days and being tired constantly, I can't sleep. I get home from work in time to sleep easily. I can't. I don't understand. I can't even do it right now. I'm gonna fall on my keyboard, but if I get in the bed I'll just lie there for like two hours before I can go to sleep. It's like destroying my ability to function all day. Has anyone had experience with this?

renodoc
11-09-2005, 02:48 AM
ambien or lunesta can fix this.

kipin
11-09-2005, 02:48 AM
You will soon go insane and dig your eyes out with a spoon.

Sleep tight.

El Barto
11-09-2005, 02:50 AM
This must be the first thread moved from the politics forum to the OOT forum. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

AngryCola
11-09-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This must be the first thread moved from the politics forum to the OOT forum. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely a first for me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif He should get better responses in here, though.

Nepa
11-09-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Despite working 12 hour days and being tired constantly, I can't sleep. I get home from work in time to sleep easily. I can't. I don't understand. I can't even do it right now. I'm gonna fall on my keyboard, but if I get in the bed I'll just lie there for like two hours before I can go to sleep. It's like destroying my ability to function all day. Has anyone had experience with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ever try drinking?

diebitter
11-09-2005, 02:53 AM
I wouldn't worry untill a guy introduces himself as Tyler Durden.

Seriously, drink a beer or two (no more), and just take it very easy an hour before bed (watch TV or talk a slow walk or something not too taxing)

El Barto
11-09-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely a first for me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif He should get better responses in here, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he wanted responses from people still up from a heavy night of Election Night partying. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DCopper04
11-09-2005, 02:55 AM
Something that might help: make an effort to not get into your bed until you are dead tired, absolutely 100% exhausted. When you feel like you can't stay awake for any longer. Do this for a few weeks. It should make it easier for you to fall asleep in the future, cause your body will become accustomed to falling asleep as soon as you get into bed. I have actually heard that if you lay in bed for more than 15 minutes without falling asleep, you should get up and go lay on a couch or something.

Nepa
11-09-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ever try drinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Seriously, You may have a sleep disorder. If you are from the Lehigh Valley I know there is a Doctor in the 1230 bldg. over on Cedar Crest(right next to the Cancer Center) that can address this problem. I'm sorry I can't remember his name off the top of my head.

11-09-2005, 02:58 AM
You need more exercise. Working 12 hours a day makes you tired and stressed out mentally, not tired physically. Do some cardio and get your heart rate up for about 30 minutes a day. Running/swimming/treadmill or something. And don't drink caffeine.

MelK
11-09-2005, 02:59 AM
Just keep posting at 2p2. That usually does it for nb6ukjtluh

edit: sorry, head fell on keyboard.

IndieMatty
11-09-2005, 03:15 AM
I took some unisom a little while ago it is about to kick in. Sometime drugs are the only remedy. If this is constant though, you should go to the doctor.

BCPVP
11-09-2005, 03:17 AM
...clowns will eat me...

Couldn't resist.

Seriously, ever talked to a doctor about it?

lehighguy
11-09-2005, 03:25 AM
I've always been a bit of an insomniac. However, I think it's the new job. I hate it, i hate every minute of it. I think perhaps the dread of having to wake up in the morning and go to it keeps me from going to sleep.

Sephus
11-09-2005, 03:29 AM
there's only one clown.

11-09-2005, 03:35 AM
i'm a long imsoniac.

1. ambien is very good. (but addictive)

2. you need to wind down your brain with a stupid sitcom.

3. very important to get some bit of excercise once a day; get the tubes cleaned out. a brisk 15 minute walk will be fine.

4. great tip: if you don't fall asleep in 25 minutes, GET UP, change rooms and occupy yourself. Only when you really want to returnto the bed should you do so. then if 25 more minuts pass any you are awake then repeat the process.

5. also remember, real sleep is best, but quietly liing down counts towards regeneration too.

BCPVP
11-09-2005, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I think it's the new job. I hate it, i hate every minute of it. I think perhaps the dread of having to wake up in the morning and go to it keeps me from going to sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then quit for heaven's sake! Is a little more money worth your physical and mental health?

lehighguy
11-09-2005, 03:53 AM
I'm 22, I have no work experience. My grades the last two years of college weren't good for the same reason (i was majoring in the same subject I now work in). My parents are nobody. If I quit this job I don't know if I'll get another. I have student loans to pay.

I thought about poker, but what kinduv a plan is that. Besides, I only made like $20,000 this year playing about 5 hours per week, and I'm comming off this massive $4000 downswing that has killed my confidence.

TheBlueMonster
11-09-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

2. you need to wind down your brain with a stupid sitcom.

3. very important to get some bit of excercise once a day; get the tubes cleaned out. a brisk 15 minute walk will be fine.

4. great tip: if you don't fall asleep in 25 minutes, GET UP, change rooms and occupy yourself. Only when you really want to returnto the bed should you do so. then if 25 more minuts pass any you are awake then repeat the process.

5. also remember, real sleep is best, but quietly liing down counts towards regeneration too.

[/ QUOTE ]
solid advice....
I'd also add try laying on your back and inhale and exhale slowly and deeply. Tense up your body really tight and then completely relax. Do that twice more and keep breathing slow.

jt1
11-09-2005, 04:05 AM
I feel for you bro. I'm having the same problem lately, but I think it's because I'm having eye surgery tomorrow and I just nervous. At any rate, here are some tips:

1) drink a glass of red wine with dinner (beer will make you want to go to the strip club and white wine isn't as helpful)

2) watch a non-stimulating show or read something along the same lines. Nothing too funny, intellectual or suspensful.

3) lay on your pillow and after 15 minutes if your not asleep, get up and repeat steps 2 $ 3.

If after a week of this routine and you still have insomnia then see a doctor.

Rick Nebiolo
11-10-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. ambien is very good. (but addictive)

[/ QUOTE ]

By addictive do mean you need more and more or you just become dependent?

How does it compare wiht Halcion in theis regard?

~ Rick

PS My problem is staying asleep more than two hours, not falling asleep.

pokerdirty
11-10-2005, 05:54 PM
ever try sleeping less?

asofel
11-10-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't worry untill a guy introduces himself as Tyler Durden.

Seriously, drink a beer or two (no more), and just take it very easy an hour before bed (watch TV or talk a slow walk or something not too taxing)

[/ QUOTE ]

paging 126

11-10-2005, 06:00 PM
regarding ambien.

i dont think it's physically addictive, but it's damn psychologically addictive-- i found myself using it very night, even when i was tired, and had tomorrow off. ie: why not take the great pill?

by the way, i've (and others) found that it give memory loss.
------

hey, you know what helps me sleep through the night-- my antidepressents. depression can lead to sleplessness.

i would advise you see a doctor and ask him about all this.

xadrez
11-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Used to have this problem. Heres how I fixed it.

1)Exercise. If you already go to the gym, go twice as often. If you only do aerobic stuff, add weights, if you only lift, add aerobics. Go as hard as you can, at all times. Couple this with never taking elevators, and walking as much as possible instead of using cars, pub. transportation.

2)Get a TV in your bedroom if you dont already have one. When you are getting into bed find something semi-mundane, but interesting nonetheless. Sportcenter is like an insomniac's manna. Also, cooking shows, the weather channel and similar programming work. Just make sure its nothing captivating like a movie, or a show with a plot.
Turn the timer on the TV on so it shuts off after a certain amount of time.

3)Have a nightcap, or if you prefer not to drink, a glass of milk.

After your body gets used to getting back to sleep at earlier hours, youll find that you wont necessarily need to go through these motions anymore.