PDA

View Full Version : Scientists and the flag

Cyrus
06-20-2003, 03:51 AM
I have an instictive antipathy towards people who wrap themselves in the flag. And on politicians of any stripe, the well-known aphorism about it being the last refuge of scoundrels still applies, unfailingly.

But I'm especially miffed with scientists whose allegiance is explicitly and primarily to their country (right or wrong) and to its flag, rather than the eternal and noble human endeavors. The search for truth, for one.

The sight of a small flag on a scientist's speaking podium is cause for concern. A waving flag underneath a scientist's name is cause for ridicule, or worse. Take it from me : One cannot serve two masters! And when one chooses to serve one's country with "unswerving loyalty", which is another name for disregard for facts or truth, then one should not expect to get respect or even civility from one's audience.

A well-aimed rotten egg is more like it.

--Cyrus

PS : On the contrary, I admire the men of science who, throughout History, followed their heart's quest for truth, instead of abiding by their era's canons. Folks who stood up, with varying degrees of bravery, and waved only the small, insignificant flag of human quest, against the demands of Church, State or even Community. Where would we be without the human spirit that drives the actions of those heros, those nominal "traitors"?

PPS : And, lest you think that this is an "anarchist", or even "terroristic" post, this is actually a post abt true patriotism. Personally, I accept the (so far, though, mostly theoretical) motto of my place of birth, which goes "We accept as national that which is true".

Ray Zee
06-20-2003, 09:16 AM
the difference may lie in what kind of scientist we are talking about. i mean a mediocre one like in any field cant make it on his own. so he needs the support of someone to get by. so the average scientist has to rely on funding so he is tied to what or whom gives it to him. a great scientist or any person tends to scoff at the world as he knows he needs no ones praise or money.

still people are people and some especially those that came from a military career are indoctrinated to the flags of their country.