PDA

View Full Version : does pot improve intelligence?

11-08-2005, 11:41 PM
--moderator, if this is a prohibited subject, then please delete because i didn't know it.--

i very much believe that pot improves intelligence, at least in the short run.

thoughts on this?

kipin
11-08-2005, 11:42 PM
So many good candidates in the running for today.

Where art thou [censored]?

imported_anacardo
11-08-2005, 11:51 PM
My seed improves intelligence, in any run you care to name.

BadBoyBenny
11-08-2005, 11:52 PM
nope

11-08-2005, 11:58 PM
pot may make you smarter, but this thread is making me dummor

irishpint
11-09-2005, 12:02 AM
let me guess... you're really high right now?

benza13
11-09-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
let me guess... you're really high right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever posted in OOT?

Have you ever posted in OOT on weed?

phixxx
11-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Every single person I've met that's a big pothead, i.e. more than once a day, has been a complete and utter deadbeat. Complete lack of motivation, no memory. I smoke moderatly, and achieve very good grades. It's good in moderation.

AngryCola
11-09-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/AngryCola/stewart1.jpg

siccjay
11-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Weed doesn't even begin to come close to making you smarter. I felt myself getting dumber and quit a long time ago.

joeski19
11-09-2005, 12:20 AM
If your dumb yes. Otherwise No.

RustedCorpse
11-09-2005, 12:49 AM
I guess you idea of what constitutes intelligence would have to qualify. Personally I don't mind pot the perception alteration, but then again I also haven't done it in well over three or for months. My opinon of most "natural" drugs is like anything else, all in moderation. I think anyone smoking daily telling you he's smarter or more "deep" is about as smart as a <insert euphemisum here>.

Exitonly
11-09-2005, 12:56 AM
pot definitely does not make you smarter.

it does let you look at things in a different way though.

11-09-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but after you see things in a different way, you begin to feel yourself getting dumber.

whiskeytown
11-09-2005, 01:16 AM
personally speaking, I am no smarter or dumber then when I started.

CREATIVELY, however - I have written some of the best songs/lines in my life recently - I also think my Blog and posts have improved somewhat as I'm looking at different angles to argue from sometimes -

sometimes mulling over stuff while stoned helps too - I believe the altered perceptions may push you creatively in places you wouldn't normally go, if that's your thing - so in a way, that makes you intellectually better off sometimes -

Sheeeit....David Crosby hadn't written a good song after he got off drugs till recently - I think he started toking up again at least -

RB

MikeNaked
11-09-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sheeeit....David Crosby hadn't written a good song after he got off drugs till recently - I think he started toking up again at least

[/ QUOTE ]

Other musicians who began sucking after foresaking drugs: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aerosmith

eviljeff
11-09-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

POWAFIYABQYP (pointed out what a [censored] idiot you are by quoting your post)

11-09-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CREATIVELY, however - I have written some of the best songs/lines in my life recently - sometimes mulling over them while stoned - I believe the altered perceptions may push you creatively in places you wouldn't normally go, if that's your thing - so in a way, that makes you intellectually better off sometimes

[/ QUOTE ]

I read somewhere that drugs such as pot and mushrooms help bypass a natural creative filter in your brain. The times in my life when I found myself to be most analytical where on mushrooms, I don't know why but with the right dosage I think they really show you things about yourself and others you've never though about. I don't think pot makes you smarter, just a different perception.

smurfitup
11-09-2005, 01:39 AM
i smoke pot twice a week and if it has had any effects on my intelligence, they've been adverse.. nothing really noticeable or significant, though.. i will say that i think i've begun to see and consider the world from a different perspective since i started smoking pot.. but i think even that effect is dependent on the smoker.. i'm an introvert, so my use of pot naturally lends itself to introspection.. for more outgoing people, though, i don't think pot has nearly the same effects

Exitonly
11-09-2005, 01:41 AM
whiskey, out of curiosity, how much do you smoke a week (quantity) also, how much do you smoke each .. time you smoke?

11-09-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So many good candidates in the running for today.

Where art thou [censored]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate people that do [censored] like this. I bet you were a tattle tale in kindergarten too?

AngryCola
11-09-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
whiskey, out of curiosity, how much do you smoke a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/AngryCola/lots.jpg

InchoateHand
11-09-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i will say that i think i've begun to see and consider the world from a different perspective since i started smoking pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, sounds really valuable. Tomorrow I'm going to wake up five minutes earlier than usual and see the world from a "five-minutes-earlier-than-usual" perspective. The day after that I'll try adding a little yoghurt to my grapenuts and see the world from a "grapenuts-with-yoghurt" perspective. After that I will auto-asphyxiate myself episodically over the course of the day--enabling me to consider the world from a "seriously-oxygen-deprived" perspective. I think these insights will add new dimensions to my life.

AngryCola
11-09-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i will say that i think i've begun to see and consider the world from a different perspective since i started smoking pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, sounds really valuable. Tomorrow I'm going to wake up five minutes earlier than usual and see the world from a "five-minutes-earlier-than-usual" perspective. The day after that I'll try adding a little yoghurt to my grapenuts and see the world from a "grapenuts-with-yoghurt" perspective. After that I will auto-asphyxiate myself episodically over the course of the day--enabling me to consider the world from a "seriously-oxygen-deprived" perspective. I think these insights will add new dimensions to my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had a point, I don't get it.
Lumping is bad.

InchoateHand
11-09-2005, 01:55 AM
Just trying to find other ways to "consider the world from a different perspective." I'm serious about the grapenuts---sounds life altering.

kurosh
11-09-2005, 02:50 AM
i went to make some toast. put the bread in the toaster, pushed the thing down. then i left and came back a few minutes later. the bread was cold and untoasted.

i mutter to myself, "and that's why i call those [censored] river checkraises."

sad sad day for kurosh

sadder for you if you understand what that means

reo
11-09-2005, 02:57 AM
No. Makes you dumber.

Nepa
11-09-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which can make you smarter in a way, right?

11-09-2005, 03:18 AM
among other times, i hadn't smoked for about 4 months. i was very stressed out. i smoked tonight, and saw how ridiculous i'd been thinking.

wouldn't that be classified under increased intelligence?
----------

and then i think so many original thougts, and i get so creative. isnt that intelligence?

--but, i wonder if pot has negative long term effects. i feel a bit dumber than i used to.

i winder if i should just stay stoned all day-- would i be better off?

zephed
11-09-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
among other times, i hadn't smoked for about 4 months. i was very stressed out. i smoked tonight, and saw how ridiculous i'd been thinking.

wouldn't that be classified under increased intelligence?
----------

and then i think so many original thougts, and i get so creative. isnt that intelligence?

--but, i wonder if pot has negative long term effects. i feel a bit dumber than i used to.

i winder if i should just stay stoned all day-- would i be better off?

[/ QUOTE ]
Just don't have kids.

EDIT: Please.

ChipWrecked
11-09-2005, 04:29 AM
The long run is just a series of short runs.

I was going to reply to this, but I forgot.

cnfuzzd
11-09-2005, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The long run is just a series of short runs.

I was going to reply to this, but I forgot.

[/ QUOTE ]

the long run is really just a short run viewed from a differing perspective.

peace

john nickle

11-09-2005, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're trying to be ironic with this post, I must say this is the best post you've ever made.

AngryCola
11-09-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're trying to be ironic with this post, I must say this is the best post you've ever made.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it's probably not the best, because I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Just to be clear, though, I never said his joke was great or anything like that. A "not bad" rating seemed appropriate.

Note: I somehow doubt you are capable of judging which of my 5,168 posts is the best.

incognito
11-09-2005, 05:29 AM
This is funny. Recent research at the University in my home town...

U of S Research Suggests Marijuana Analogue Stimulates Brain Cell Growth (http://www.usask.ca/events/news/articles/20051013-1.html)

jokerthief
11-09-2005, 06:26 AM
I've made my living for a little over a year now playing the unmentionable. I am a losing player when high. That should be all you know to answer your question.

Brom
11-09-2005, 06:48 AM
I have a non-significant amount of stats to prove my WR is higher when stoned. I actually set up two different PT databases to try to determine which was my optimum state to play in.

The Yugoslavian
11-09-2005, 06:52 AM
I plan to do a thorough test this next week in Amsterdam. Unfortunately my friends and I will not be able to procure a control group.....aw [censored] it, who am I kidding? My last email to the office was 'Off to Amsterdam to get very very very very very very very high.'

Nothing to do with intelligence and everything to do with having a good time and mixing life up a bit.

Yugoslav

jokerthief
11-09-2005, 06:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a non-significant amount of stats to prove my WR is higher when stoned. I actually set up two different PT databases to try to determine which was my optimum state to play in.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I am a losing player when high is not because I play poorly but because I don't play at all. That is the problem with pot, it kills ambition. Needless to say, I don't smoke anymore.

4_2_it
11-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Of course, everyone knows that all nuclear physicists are pot heads.

11-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Intelligence is the wrong word. I am a writer, and a programmer, and I can say without a doubt that my most ingenious programming work ideas have come when high, as well as my best story ideas.

Creativity !=Intellignce.

MrTrik
11-09-2005, 11:00 AM
There was an article in a recent Discover (or is it Discovery) magazine which talked about computer software becoming smarter in prioritizing interrups such as email, IMs, phone calls, etc.

The software technology it talked of is aimed at reducing the overhead and lack of focus that comes with heavy multitasking. I'm talking about the human multitasking not the system itself. It also talked about a drop in IQ when the human brain divides it's attention among too many tasks.

One of the studies it referenced was on smoking pot. The study was done by some prominent university and found that getting high temporarily drops one's IQ by 8 points. Or maybe it was 10 points. It's a bit fuzzy to me because I smoked a lot of pot in college.

Slow Play Ray
11-09-2005, 11:12 AM
I don't think it makes a difference one way or the other. And I smoke a lot of pot. Short-term memory loss is no joke though. I have been smoking for probably 10 years, with a few extended breaks in between, and I have never noticed any difference in my relative intelligence at any point. Of course, I am smarter (wiser?) than I was 10 years ago, but I certainly cannot attribute that to the pot. Short-term memory loss is no joke though.

SL__72
11-09-2005, 11:31 AM
I thought I read a study about this that said continued smoking can cause you to lose 7+ IQ points but that once you stop for a while you'd gain it almost all back.

4_2_it
11-09-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought I read a study about this that said continued smoking can cause you to lose 7+ IQ points but that once you stop for a while you'd gain it almost all back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exhibit 1 -- Pot causes short-term memory loss

ChipWrecked
11-09-2005, 11:42 AM
My wife makes fun of me for being a space case at times. It's like my mind just goes on a mini vacation for a few minutes.

She claims it's due to the bales of pot I smoked before we met. I maintain I've always been that way.

We'll never know who's right, unless she comes to my next HS reunion or something....

PocketJokers72
11-09-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it makes a difference one way or the other. And I smoke a lot of pot. Short-term memory loss is no joke though. I have been smoking for probably 10 years, with a few extended breaks in between, and I have never noticed any difference in my relative intelligence at any point. Of course, I am smarter (wiser?) than I was 10 years ago, but I certainly cannot attribute that to the pot. Short-term memory loss is no joke though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exhibit 2.

whiskeytown
11-09-2005, 03:17 PM
I would say I go thru a half ounce every couple months -

Sometimes just one or two bowls a night - usually after all the work is done and it's just me, the Xbox, and the TV - Esp. if I'm having a difficult race on Forza, I like to take a drag right before the start of it - I think it makes me more willing to drive a bit harder -

I'm not smoking as much as I could - I'm trying to keep it at a normal level - but it is interesting - without the negative effects that alcohol has (throwing up) - it's not hard to get so blitzed you don't do anything but fall asleep in the recliner - LOL - but these days, I haven't been doing that for a while. If I smoke TOO much I will have a slight headache when coming down and that's not the most pleasant feeling in the world.

I equate a bowl to a couple beers or a hard shot or two - and if the rest of the world can have a couple beers after dinner watching TV, or a glass or two of wine, then I can have a bowl -

I guess the best response is, if it's a night I would have drank (pretty much any sun-wed night) then I'm probably smoking at that same time period instead - although not as heavily as I drink - Right now if I go to my bong there's a good chance there's a hit or two in there I just left after the last one I had 4 hrs before going to bed - I didn't have the need or urge to finish it off -

RB

SL__72
11-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Nice. But I don't smoke at all...

RustedCorpse
11-09-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact is Pot's main component, THC, has natural receptors for that specific chemical in the brain. Your brain is designed to process that chemical. As far as your other comments of asphyxia and "waking up five minutes early” why do you think many practices such as meditation and yoga involve pacing your breathing? One of the earliest methods of "perception alteration" is breathing.

Sleep deprivation is the same thing. IT does change the way you think and recieve the world around you. Why do you think the military uses it in training, or why some monks will not sleep during ceremonies?

People have always sought out other methods of perceiving the world about them, they always will as well. All that varies is the level of alteration, look at kids spinning around in a yard to get dizzy, people drinking alcohol, or any time you’ve made love in the dark as opposed to with the light on, it’s all a form of perception that gets altered.

I am in no way justifying pot for someone who doesn't smoke, but every study has ruled its "harmful" effects as inconclusive. I have no doubt if you smoked every day it would cause damage, just as I have no doubt that someone who always has 3 cups of coffee causes damage to themselves. The point is it is a natural occurring substance, that the body has specific receptors for, and if taken in moderation allows the human mind to observe the world around it in a different state.

11-09-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact is Pot's main component, THC, has natural receptors for that specific chemical in the brain. Your brain is designed to process that chemical. As far as your other comments of asphyxia and "waking up five minutes early” why do you think many practices such as meditation and yoga involve pacing your breathing? One of the earliest methods of "perception alteration" is breathing.

Sleep deprivation is the same thing. IT does change the way you think and recieve the world around you. Why do you think the military uses it in training, or why some monks will not sleep during ceremonies?

People have always sought out other methods of perceiving the world about them, they always will as well. All that varies is the level of alteration, look at kids spinning around in a yard to get dizzy, people drinking alcohol, or any time you’ve made love in the dark as opposed to with the light on, it’s all a form of perception that gets altered.

I am in no way justifying pot for someone who doesn't smoke, but every study has ruled its "harmful" effects as inconclusive. I have no doubt if you smoked every day it would cause damage, just as I have no doubt that someone who always has 3 cups of coffee causes damage to themselves. The point is it is a natural occurring substance, that the body has specific receptors for, and if taken in moderation allows the human mind to observe the world around it in a different state.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great response to a such a dildo post. If you have never done it, dont [censored] knock it, k? It does change the way you think, for the duration of you being high. Do you perceive the world exactly the same way when you're shitfaced? Then how come ugly chicks look hot? You're just being silly.

4_2_it
11-09-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice. But I don't smoke at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exhibit 3.....

Dude, I think the weed might be affecting your long-term memory as well /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PokerBob
11-09-2005, 05:55 PM
no, it makes you dumber, and this post proves it.

Slow Play Ray
11-09-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exhibit 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noone even got my joke. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

benza13
11-09-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Noone even got my joke. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I got it but forgot to comment.

Duffman
11-09-2005, 06:23 PM
It's very simple.

Drugs affect people on an individual basis.

When I'm high, I have trouble focusing on something. I have too many thoughts rushing through my head. I can't read, I can't study, I can't play P***r.

One of my friends has been a pothead for longer than I can remember and he maintains a 3.8 GPA. He works out while he's high and he's jacked as all hell, studies while high, pretty much does everything while high. And he has no problems with it.

Does it make you smarter? No. Does it make you dumber? Who knows. It might make certain activities easier for some, and harder for others. I don't think it affects intelligence, just makes most people lazy. And that might make you dumber.

I've been smoking pot at once a day for the past couple of months, and I haven't got dumber. But it slows down my reaction time, and makes me daze out. Not necessarily stupid, but I wouldn't take a midterm high.

11-09-2005, 06:40 PM
The fact that you are asking this is further evidence for the "it makes you dumber"

11-10-2005, 01:40 AM
In honor of this thread I am totally baked right now. really baked. An interesting feeling: my eyeballs feel like they are on rollers instead of jerking left to right.Well, now that my stoner comments of the night are over, I bid you all adiue. THere is no way I am smarter now than I am sober. There, scientific test done.

P.S. how bout that spelling?

MonkeeMan
11-10-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would say I go thru a half ounce every couple months

[/ QUOTE ]

You need help...and I volunteer.

And to answer the original question of "does pot improve intelligence?" - DUH!

11-10-2005, 02:39 AM
I still want to host a stoners game at Wynn sometime. Let me know if interested. Something like 4/8 HORSET. Rules are you must be baked at all times. We can take smoking breaks every hour if need be. All the dealers and floor at Wynn know I'm a pothead anyway.