PDA

View Full Version : To raise or not to raise

11-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Im new to PLO hi and have begun playing small stakes rooms online. I have a history as an aggressive HE player but since playing Omaha have felt that aggressive preflop raising is somewhat misguided at these really low limits. But I see it a lot and am wondering if I should incorporate it into my game. I tend to be passive preflop and aggressive if I've hit post flop. I realize that most people on this site are much higher limit players but Id appreciate the advice and am looking to improve.

beset7
11-09-2005, 01:38 AM
preflop raising in general is a very big topic. You'll raise for many reasons. 1st of all, just like in HE, you like to build pots with strong hands. Also, in middle position you may want to raise some slightly weaker holdings in hopes of buying the button if you have tight players to your left. Also, you'll want to build pots with just about anything playable from the CO/button, etc. And so on and and son. The best solution is to post some hands where you raise preflop.

b7

11-09-2005, 02:08 AM
In the zany low-limit games pre-flop raising should be done primarily to build pot with good hands in position. There are many ways to go, such as potting it, min-raising, 2BB, 3BB. All have there supporters. I am a fan of 3BB myself. If you are going to raise, you should be doing it with a decent range of hands and not just A-A-x-x or K-K-x-x.

Especially in the low-limit games, most pre-flop raises will be called in several places. Don't ever expect the field to fold to a pre-flop raise.

11-09-2005, 03:43 AM
Thanks. I guess my biggest problem is that I keep thinking that raising to improve the pot rarely seems to help me. To my thinking, it only improves some players pot odds to keep calling. A-A-x-x seems very marginal to me and rarely holds up, and Ive only been raising with the very best hands. I'll try posting some hands and see what you guys think. Thanks again.

Unabridged
11-09-2005, 07:22 AM
you don't have to be afraid of raising preflop(especially in position), but flop play is where PLO and NLHE really differ. aggro strategy(ala brunson) in HL tells you to almost always bet the flop if you raised, but in PLO you have to know when to not bet/call flops even with AAxx and other times when you play aggresive.
the more you play, the more you will reconize these situations. just make sure you review the hands+flops that get you in trouble.

11-09-2005, 04:09 PM
I agree with the unabridge dude, dont be afraid of raising pre flop, thats the best part of Pot Lim Omahahaha. Its a gambling game dude!!! You got to look at it that way if you want to succeed, You have to be ready to gamble I mean gamble! Youre not going to sit and wait for big starting cards and squeeze out a little money consestantly like Lim Holdem. My favorite preflop raises in Omaha are 4 conecting cards (or a pair and 3 conecters) I think you should raise youre AA and KK everytime on the cut off or button (if no ones entered the pot) and almost NEVER UTG or early position. EX: Youre the first to act on the flop and you raised AAxx UTG (and you miss) what do you do now??? Well you cant leave all that money out there so You bet right??? Then you get raised now where are you, looking at a giant pot feeling absolutly commited and having almost no hand at all. AAxx in a pot limit Omaha is a hard hand to play, and Im convinced that it is played horribly by most people, in a multiway pot I treak AAxx just like JJxx, if that helps??? When i sit down in a Pot Lim Omaha game i have a beer or two and get ready to GAMBLE! Do that same, its a great game.

beset7
11-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Welcome to the forum!

11-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Um thanks? Im totally digging this forum i used to read the stuff on here from time to time just to see what Sklanksky wrote, i heard this was kind of his forum but it seems pretty cool. You guys play some big games Online huh???? geez, i dont trust computers enough for that [censored].

beset7
11-10-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Um thanks? Im totally digging this forum i used to read the stuff on here from time to time just to see what Sklanksky wrote, i heard this was kind of his forum but it seems pretty cool. You guys play some big games Online huh???? geez, i dont trust computers enough for that [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I just liked your post because a lot of people here at 2+2 need more gamble. I don't play very high right now but I have in the past. I understand your distrust. Playing high-stakes Omaha online is definitely a little shady at times.

11-10-2005, 09:08 AM
yea, i see that most the guys on here play more online than anything im starting to understand why, playing 4 tables at once at 100 hands an hour, it seems like a sweet gig. I dont play online but im thinking about getting into it. But just like you said, Big Bet poker online seems kinda shady to me, how can you call a guy for all youre chips when you cant see him? I think im gonna hit up the limit games (Holdem or stud8 Omahahaha8) But Big Bet online seems like a horrible idea.

11-10-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think im gonna hit up the limit games (Holdem or stud8 Omahahaha8) But Big Bet online seems like a horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems and feels a lot less horrible if you win.

Not that I'd know anything about that.

11-11-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When i sit down in a Pot Lim Omaha game i have a beer or two and get ready to GAMBLE! Do that same, its a great game.

[/ QUOTE ]

No wife + no kids + no phone + Busch Light (can only, and very cold) + multi-table $25 and $50 PLO = priceless