PDA

View Full Version : I get reraised, I flop a pair. Now what?

11-08-2005, 09:04 PM
I suck at HUSH play. I raise a lot more, but I'm not sure about how to handle aggression against me in what feels like standard hands like this.

SB is 18.6 12.7 wts 38.5, avg agg postflop

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.fourthnut.com/cgi-bin/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Spicymoose
11-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Think about his range. Raise the flop.

Noodles
11-08-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Think about his range. Raise the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
ok if hero riases flop and gets reraised he still has to call wit hhis outs right,what then when the guy bets the turn? if turn is non scary

Spicymoose
11-08-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Think about his range. Raise the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
ok if hero riases flop and gets reraised he still has to call wit hhis outs right,what then when the guy bets the turn? if turn is non scary

[/ QUOTE ]

With 6.5 BB in the turn at that point, he must fold if he gets led into again. SB wouldn't do this often enough with hands we are ahead of. Also it actually lets us off cheaper than calling all the way down. So it is better if he has a high pocket pair, or if has overcards.

11-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Raising the flop can put him in a tough spot with no-pair, if he's got a bit of tilt, good spot to induce spew.

Inducing spew at 3/6 - 5/10 6max games on party can be very profitable imo. Mainly in sb vs bb or button vs. blind.

P.s. I fold this preflop, rake sucks.

ArturiusX
11-08-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

P.s. I fold this preflop, rake sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, plenty of profit in this.

11-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Raise the flop. You're getting 12:1 immediate odds if he 3-bets you, which is plenty with 4.5 good outs [your BD flush draw and ~ 3 clean outs; I count your trips outs as about 1.5 as he rarely has a straight, set or A5 here, and add another 1.5 outs for your kings.] If he calls the flop raise you bet again on the turn; probably fold to a check/raise on the turn without a read unless you think your odds are clean enough to peel at 8:1.

11-09-2005, 12:07 AM
How about call the flop, raise the turn, put in no more bets after that?

11-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Hi Vincent,

I play it the same way.

Your opponent is tight and has the stats of a reasonable player. Let's see what a raise will accomplish:

Flop: He will almost never fold to a raise on the flop (and he is usually correct not to fold), so you will get addional value when you are ahead, unless he decides to play fast (with a heart draw for example) -- let's say he 3-bets the flop and leads the turn, then there is a good chance you will fold the best hand.
When you are behind you may or may not save money. If he takes the WA/WB line and calls you down then donks the river, you will lose an extra small bet over the line you took. If he 3-bets the flop and leads the turn you save 1 big bet.

Turn: Raising on the turn makes no sense to me since he will probably only continue when he has you beat, and you could have gotten to the showdown for the same price. If he had checked the turn then of course you bet. If the turn or river was an Ace, then folding on that street would be more attractive since there would be almost no hands you could beat once he bets into you.

Seems to me that calling down (like you did) and raising the flop with the intention of folding to excessive action are close, but I take your line. Also, as your opponent gets more aggressive, your line should gain in value over the other one. (When he's passive he's less likely to be bluffing when he raises and you can safely fold)

-v

w_alloy
11-09-2005, 02:14 AM
My default play is raise flop, as others have said, but I can't figure out why a flop call turn raise (unless an ace hits) isnt better.

-I don't think he is ever folding this flop to our c/r.
-I think he folds the turn more often to our raise then he will if we c/r flop and bet turn. Thus we get better protection.
-If an ace hits we are way behind this tight player's range so we can just release.
-If we are behind we lose .5 sb more, but it will be much easier to tell if we are behind. He could easily 3 bet the flop with overs+flush draw, a hand like A9, or even AK, forcing us to fold the turn incorrectly. He will 3 bet flop when we are ahead much more often then he will 3bet turn or lead river with worse.
-We gain slightly less when ahead but I think the other points make up for this.

Edit to add: If we can be sure we are behind when he 3bets flop then I think c/r flop is best, but we are far from sure. Folding in a large pot to a semi-bluff here would be very nice to avoid, even if it happens rarely.

jt1
11-09-2005, 04:39 AM
1) Definitely raise pre-flop

2) a good argument can be had for raising turn. [ QUOTE ]
My default play is raise flop, as others have said, but I can't figure out why a flop call turn raise (unless an ace hits) isnt better.

-I don't think he is ever folding this flop to our c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

With these low cards, I'm always raising turn if no Ace spikes.

11-09-2005, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raising on the turn makes no sense to me

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good spot to raise for showdown. You'll get the most out of the the hands you're ahead of and lose the same amount to the hands you're behind.

In this hand you're sometimes destroyed (PPs), sometimes about break-even for pot equity (15 outers), and occasinally ahead by a reasonable margin. Not an exciting flop. Get it to showdown as cheap as possible.