PDA

View Full Version : What is your worst irrational fear?

11-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Not the normal stuff, ie., harm comes to your kids, vertigo etc.

Mine:

One day I go to take a dump, and a huge rat or snake bites me right in the ass....

miajag81
11-08-2005, 07:58 PM
I won't armwrestle people because I'm afraid my arm could snap in half like the guy in The Fly. Seriously.

kipin
11-08-2005, 07:59 PM
[censored] was right.

icepick
11-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Crowds & talking to people I don't know on the phone.

DeezNuts
11-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Sock puppets.

11-08-2005, 08:12 PM
That my roomate's bunk bed will collapse on top of me.

offTopic
11-08-2005, 08:15 PM
http://www.redhat.com/img/clowns.jpg

imported_CaseClosed326
11-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Bees. I could get stung and nothing would happen. But they scare me to death.

guller
11-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Bees for me too. I hate em. I would gladly give up all flowers on the planet to be rid of bees.

spamuell
11-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Rats, squirrels, anything which moves in that really weird way that they move petrifies me.

coffeecrazy1
11-08-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bees for me too. I hate em. I would gladly give up all flowers on the planet to be rid of bees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bees I can handle. It's wasps, hornets, and yellowjackets for me...though I'm not fond of bees, don't get me wrong.

The Goober
11-08-2005, 09:21 PM
cockroaches

11-08-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cockroaches

[/ QUOTE ]

This is most def not an irrational fear.

RustedCorpse
11-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Moths. Not the little ones, but anything over like 4", they scare the piss out of me, I kill them as fast and ruthlessly as possible. It doesn't make sense, they're furry and fly. I hate them and fear them.

tonypaladino
11-08-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cockroaches

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am scared of cockroaches too, and I think it is irrational.

The cannot hurt me in any way, they do not bite, sting, or carry disease and I outweigh one 1,000,000 to 1, yet a friggin inch long bug has the power to send me shreiking accross the room like a 4 year old girl.

11-08-2005, 09:25 PM
mother in law coming to stay for christmas... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

LoaferGee12
11-08-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, got this one too.

MrTrik
11-08-2005, 09:43 PM
A spider crawls in my ear while sleeping. She lays eggs. They hatch and eat my brain. And the sound .... THE SOUND. That is all.

11-08-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cockroaches

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am scared of cockroaches too, and I think it is irrational.

The cannot hurt me in any way, they do not bite, sting, or carry disease and I outweigh one 1,000,000 to 1, yet a friggin inch long bug has the power to send me shreiking accross the room like a 4 year old girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guesss if you put it that way it does sound irrational. I thought they carried diseases though?

Brain
11-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Talking on the phone. I hate it. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

dcasper70
11-08-2005, 10:30 PM
When walking near sewer grates, I'm always afraid I'm going to drop somehting down them, like my car keys or something...even if they're in my pocket... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

housenuts
11-08-2005, 11:09 PM
i'm not scared of anything

David04
11-08-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A spider crawls in my ear while sleeping. She lays eggs. They hatch and eat my brain. And the sound .... THE SOUND. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I might not be able to sleep tonight.

yoadrians
11-08-2005, 11:40 PM
I am scared of either my wife leaving me and taking our son, or me going to jail.

She won't leave. I'm not going to jail. Life is fine.

But drunk dreams, man. They're scaarrrryyyy.

RustedCorpse
11-08-2005, 11:45 PM
So you're going to take up the scorpion on the testes Crimson Challenge right?

11-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Being attacked in your sleep by a cockroach at 2:45 in the morning, in your own bed, makes it a perfectly rational fear to me. [censored], that was the worst goddamn night ever. And it was just a week ago. Still haven't slept great since then.

11-08-2005, 11:54 PM
i always feel like im locking my keys in my truck. i check 3 times before i close my door. (no power locks)

CheckRaise
11-09-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened to me last year, I was on the phone and his bed fell on me, I started cursing and pushed it off of me. The frame fell onto my desk and knocked my computer on the floor. It broke, that was a bad day.

istewart
11-09-2005, 02:40 AM
Elevators.

DCopper04
11-09-2005, 02:59 AM
carrying a pen in my pocket. afraid i'll puncture my scrotum.

Sephus
11-09-2005, 03:14 AM
i can't stand to have a spider crawling on me.

kyro
11-09-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When walking near sewer grates, I'm always afraid I'm going to drop down them, /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter
11-09-2005, 03:21 AM
Finding out every time you masterbate, you take an hour off your life.

11-09-2005, 03:23 AM
kinda neat: i hated insects, then moved to the country where i cant avoid so many bugs. i've gotten used to them to the point that i dont even kill them when they're in my house.

i've nott been bitten / stung in years.

11-09-2005, 03:28 AM
being in a situation that appears to everyone that i'm guilty of a crime, when in fact i'm not.

fictitious example-- everyone knows my boss screwed my wife. i go hunting in canada and accidentally shoot him dead. i didn't know he was even canada, but the facts say he booked his trip first.

11-09-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened to me last year, I was on the phone and his bed fell on me, I started cursing and pushed it off of me. The frame fell onto my desk and knocked my computer on the floor. It broke, that was a bad day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well..... now im scared shitless. seriously.

yoshi_yoshi
11-09-2005, 03:33 AM
having moved to the east coast, there is so much static electricity during the winter that i am scared of it. like i go to grab a door handle and know i'm going to get zapped and tell myself 'if you grab it fast enough, you won't get zapped', and then get zapped anyways.

also i get nervous when i am somewhere such that i'm not 100% to die if there were a nuclear blast, because surviving through one would suck a lot.

tonypaladino
11-09-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Finding out every time you masterbate, God kills a puppy

[/ QUOTE ]

Sephus
11-09-2005, 03:39 AM
yeah you just gotta be faster than the electrons.

Dr. Strangelove
11-09-2005, 03:41 AM
Spiders.

And ever since reading about the guy who got his head cut off by the elevator when it closed really fast I try to get on as quickly as possible, so the door doesn't get me.

jokerthief
11-09-2005, 03:51 AM
Ugly babies
Testical implants
Big faced people like the kid in Mask
Mongolians
T Moblie Posers
Midgits with curly hair
The Flowbee
Bryan Adams

These are all tied.

11-09-2005, 04:02 AM
I'd like to add another one: a shark will appear from a hidden hatch in the deep end of our pool. And it will eat me. Worst death ever, IMO

runner4life7
11-09-2005, 04:06 AM
My friend will literally not walk over any type of sewer gate or manhole. You can try and push her and she still wont, its ridiculous

Benholio
11-09-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Spiders.

And ever since reading about the guy who got his head cut off by the elevator when it closed really fast I try to get on as quickly as possible, so the door doesn't get me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seemed like a snopes candidate, but it is one of the few stories that get a "true". Apparently more than 1 person has been decapitated by an elevator, and more than 30 people die in elevator accidents each year in the US (As of 2003).

From the Snopes Article (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/elevator.asp):

"
We'd like to think beheadings happen only in campfire tales and low-budget thrillers, but they take place in real life too, as was the case in the death of Dr. Hitoshi Nikaidoh. On 16 August 2003, this 35-year-old surgical resident was decapitated in a freakish elevator accident at Christus St. Joseph Hospital in Houston, Texas.

The accident itself is hard now to imagine — the ill-fated physician was trapped between the doors of the cable-propelled elevator, then decapitated as the carriage ascended.

According to the Harris County Medical Examiner's office, Nikaidoh died from multiple blunt force injuries to the head and body. His corpse was retrieved from the bottom of the elevator shaft along with two pagers, a cell phone, and an electronic organizer police believed belonged to him. The upper portion of his head, which was severed just above the lower jaw, was found in the car of the elevator. His colleague, physician's assistant Karin Steinau, who was in the car at the time, witnessed the whole thing.

Ms. Steinau told police the elevator had been out of service for a few days prior to to the tragedy, but at the time of the accident the "Out of service" sign had been removed. She had rung for the elevator (with the intent of going to the sixth floor) and had already stepped into it and pushed the button for her floor when Nikaidoh tried to get into the car as the door was closing. As soon as she saw he was trapped by the doors, Steinau tried to hit the emergency stop button but was unable to do so before the rising elevator had partially decapitated Dr. Nikaidoh. The elevator continued upwards, finally stopping between the fourth and fifth floors. Steinau was trapped in the car along with Nikaidoh's cranial remains until she was rescued by firefighters. She was treated in the hospital's emergency room for shock. "

All derailing aside, the only irrational fear I can think of is the 'dropping things into the sewer grate' one. I give my keys a death-clutch when walking over/near those.

Dominic
11-09-2005, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
having moved to the east coast, there is so much static electricity during the winter that i am scared of it. like i go to grab a door handle and know i'm going to get zapped and tell myself 'if you grab it fast enough, you won't get zapped', and then get zapped anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

pussie.

11-09-2005, 04:16 AM
Another good one: One night I was walking back ( for some reason alone) from a party and was piss drunk. I had just seen Donnie Darko, and I thought that if I even saw someone in that damn bunny suit I would probably cry on the spot. I always fear that the bunny will be chilling out one day next to me in a theater or something.

http://infocult.typepad.com/infocult/DonnieDarko_detail.jpg

AdamL
11-09-2005, 05:16 AM
I have a feeling of panic and fear if I'm swimming in a lake and notice I'm over top of a large rock or other object underwater. (Sunken old boat, boulder, tree trunk, etc.)

Really freaks me out. Also, Dragonflies. I don't mean Damselflies. I mean huge, ancient, Muskoka (up north in Ontario) sized Dragonflies. They're carnivorous and they move like hummingbirds. Did I mention they're huge?

nicky g
11-09-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bees I can handle. It's wasps, hornets, and yellowjackets for me...though I'm not fond of bees, don't get me wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pyromaniac
11-09-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.redhat.com/img/clowns.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

"Fear of Clown Bukkake"

11-09-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Spiders.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seemed like a snopes candidate, but it is one of the few stories that get a "true". Apparently more than 1 person has been decapitated by an elevator, and more than 30 people die in elevator accidents each year in the US (As of 2003).

From the Snopes Article (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/elevator.asp):

"
We'd like to think beheadings happen only in campfire tales and low-budget thrillers, but they take place in real life too, as was the case in the death of Dr. Hitoshi Nikaidoh. On 16 August 2003, this 35-year-old surgical resident was decapitated in a freakish elevator accident at Christus St. Joseph Hospital in Houston, Texas.

The accident itself is hard now to imagine — the ill-fated physician was trapped between the doors of the cable-propelled elevator, then decapitated as the carriage ascended.

According to the Harris County Medical Examiner's office, Nikaidoh died from multiple blunt force injuries to the head and body. His corpse was retrieved from the bottom of the elevator shaft along with two pagers, a cell phone, and an electronic organizer police believed belonged to him. The upper portion of his head, which was severed just above the lower jaw, was found in the car of the elevator. His colleague, physician's assistant Karin Steinau, who was in the car at the time, witnessed the whole thing.

Ms. Steinau told police the elevator had been out of service for a few days prior to to the tragedy, but at the time of the accident the "Out of service" sign had been removed. She had rung for the elevator (with the intent of going to the sixth floor) and had already stepped into it and pushed the button for her floor when Nikaidoh tried to get into the car as the door was closing. As soon as she saw he was trapped by the doors, Steinau tried to hit the emergency stop button but was unable to do so before the rising elevator had partially decapitated Dr. Nikaidoh. The elevator continued upwards, finally stopping between the fourth and fifth floors. Steinau was trapped in the car along with Nikaidoh's cranial remains until she was rescued by firefighters. She was treated in the hospital's emergency room for shock. "

All derailing aside, the only irrational fear I can think of is the 'dropping things into the sewer grate' one. I give my keys a death-clutch when walking over/near those.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy muther [censored]. it is a really god thing Im moving, and didnt know about this when my gramma went to taht hospital last year.

god, that [censored] is creepy, I just keep seeing final destination two over and over in my head.

Vavavoom
11-09-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What is your worst irrational fear?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was younger...I had a fear of going near the filters in swimming pools when on holiday as I thought a Shark would come through it and eat me...

Apparently this isn't a daft a fear as I thought, as I read somewhere that this is acommon(ish) fear....

I shouldn't have watched Jaws as a 8 yr old !

gabbahh
11-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Do any of you have rational fears then? Isn't fear always irrational?

bosoxfan
11-09-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When walking near sewer grates, I'm always afraid I'm going to drop somehting down them, like my car keys or something...even if they're in my pocket...

[/ QUOTE ]

I opened this to write the exact same thing.

CrazyEyez
11-09-2005, 12:30 PM
http://theimaginaryworld.com/tic189.jpg

11-09-2005, 12:38 PM
k, thats creepy as [censored].

anyways, people in the know drink Hershey's Chocolate Milk Mix.

duh.

CrazyEyez
11-09-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

anyways, people in the know drink Hershey's Chocolate Milk Mix.

duh.

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely agree. My wife drinks Swiss Miss or some crap. She can't understand why I get angry when I see her do it.

11-09-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do any of you have rational fears then? Isn't fear always irrational?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some fear is rational, fear of cancer if it runs in your family, fear of someone breaking into your house, fear of death. Fear of nestle quick bunnies or clowns, however, just are not justified...imo they are therefore irrational.

Amid Cent
11-09-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm afraid that after I put gas in my car, I leave the cap off and the cover flap open. I have to look back and confirm it's closed 4 or 5 times before I'm satisfied.

11-09-2005, 03:22 PM
I do the same.

woodguy
11-09-2005, 03:59 PM
When I walk across a bridge I try to stay away from the rail, as I fear for some reason I will either:

a) lose my mind and jump
b) somehow fall over
c) someone will push me over

I'm not afraid of heights, I've bungyjumped, skydived, etc., but walking over bridges freaks me out.

We have a deep river valley here in Edmonton, and some of the bridges are over 100ft from the water. yeesh.

Regards,
Woodguy

asofel
11-09-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I walk across a bridge I try to stay away from the rail, as I fear for some reason I will either:

a) lose my mind and jump
b) somehow fall over

I'm not afraid of heights, I've bungyjumped, skydived, etc., but walking over bridges freaks me out.

We have a deep river valley here in Edmonton, and some of the bridges are over 100ft from the water. yeesh.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

That first one you mentioned is really interesting to me. I'm a sane individual yet sometimes i almost created those worries in my mind...I have no idea why...This would make a good thread by itself, but i'm curious if this happens in other areas of life. I sometimes get it when driving...Like, man it'd be bad if i suddenly decided to just SWERVE OFF TEH ROAD, wouldn't it....

Unoriginalname
11-09-2005, 04:45 PM
You have no idea how comforting it is to know that other people think these things. I've had the exact same "lose my mind" and swerve off the road or fall of the bridge railing thoughts before. I know I'd never do it, but it's weird we have these thoughts.

RustedCorpse
11-09-2005, 04:54 PM
In keeping with the "sudden urge to jump off a bridge or swerve into traffic" When the subway train is racing towards me I sometimes get this insane urge to jump. It's something about the fact that I can, it's like "Wow, all it would take RIGHT NOW is to step foward"

11-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Jeez, I thought I was the only one. Sometimes on a one lane road, with cross traffic right next to me, I get that weird urge.

Oh well, just remember, you were the fastest sperm.

KingDan
11-09-2005, 05:29 PM
I won't stand anywhere near the edge while a train goes by.

I also hate when stuff touches my eye. I had an eye exam recently and when the doctor went to put eye drops in my eyes I was twitching.

AdamL
11-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Jeez, nobody has agreed with mine yet. Am I the only genuine freak here? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

11-09-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I won't armwrestle people because I'm afraid my arm could snap in half like the guy in The Fly. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seen this happen (a guy arm wrestled a girl) snapped right in 2

11-09-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The average human swallow 5 spiders a year in there sleep!!

Unoriginalname
11-09-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The average human swallow 5 spiders a year in there sleep!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Myth (http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/myths/whileyousleep.html)

Senor Cardgage
11-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Holy God. This elevator **** is freaking me the **** out right now.

I had never thought of that till now. Aaaagggggghhhhhh.

11-10-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When walking near sewer grates, I'm always afraid I'm going to drop somehting down them, like my car keys or something...even if they're in my pocket... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not alone here, freaks me out. I think about it every time I notice a grate.

PokerFink
11-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Spiders.

Not them laying eggs in my head or anything, just spiders in general. They freak me out even though I know it's totally irrational.

Thankfully they are small enough that I can smush them.

11-10-2005, 12:41 AM
I'm afraid that my greatness in general may never be appreciated by the entire world.

ED: this is an irrational fear thread right? bc i know my greatness will be appreciated eventually...

Autocratic
11-10-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jeez, nobody has agreed with mine yet. Am I the only genuine freak here? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I kind of know what you mean.

I am deathly afraid of being underwater near whales. Harmless they may generally be, underwater behemoths are the scourge of my existence.

PokerFink
11-10-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
being in a situation that appears to everyone that i'm guilty of a crime, when in fact i'm not.

fictitious example-- everyone knows my boss screwed my wife. i go hunting in canada and accidentally shoot him dead. i didn't know he was even canada, but the facts say he booked his trip first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that would suck a lot.

Shawshank Redemption comes to mind.

jaxUp
11-10-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In keeping with the "sudden urge to jump off a bridge or swerve into traffic" When the subway train is racing towards me I sometimes get this insane urge to jump. It's something about the fact that I can, it's like "Wow, all it would take RIGHT NOW is to step foward"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think this almost every day before work. I sometimes wonder if I'm slightly suicidal or something. Maybe I just hate work.

whiskeytown
11-10-2005, 02:12 AM
I have this image in my head of being attacked by an Anaconda or python - one of those big snakes that looks you right in the eye while killing you.

that and the idea that alcoholism and addictive behavior is genetic and can be passed on to kids - that [censored] bugs me...

RB

RustedCorpse
11-10-2005, 02:33 AM
Yes. I went diving a lot in Japanland, and I remember not gettting freaked out by the tiny uber poisonous snakes or barracuda were around, but nearly pissing myself when a 9' harmless clown fish swam by. There is something VERY humbling about giant fish, friendly or not.

protocol
11-10-2005, 02:51 AM
Every time I get on a plane, as it it taking off I get paranoid that it will crash even though I know that statistically it is the safest form of travel.

I cant explain it. I know that it's like a million to one, but every single time I still worry.

protocol
11-10-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

a) lose my mind and jump
b) somehow fall over

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this exact same fear. In fact, when driving over bridges I also for some reason fear that the bridge will collapse.