PDA

View Full Version : Guitar technique question

coffeecrazy1
11-08-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm a fairly accomplished player, but not accomplished enough, and I have located a deficiency I would like some help on.

Can anyone explain how to sweep-pick?

astroglide
11-08-2005, 07:05 PM
http://tinyurl.com/9oo3d

11-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Its a fancy trick, but thats about it. Heres the deal:
Its easier to "master" sweep picking than alternate picking. The problem with it is, that its hard to improvise with sweep picking. Every "sweep" has to be sort of preplanned you could say. You will have a bank of possible sweeps for different scales/chords, but thats it really.

For the most part, you'd be better off being a really good alternate picker and a decent sweep picker than a fairly good alternate picker and a fairly good sweep picker. Why is this? Because strong alternate picking is incredibly versatile.

Cumulonimbus
11-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I just bought a guitar and I can't get the damn pegs out. I even bought a POS peg remover tool, but it broke cuz these pegs are hella stubborn. Advice?

11-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Just take it back to where you bought it, they will do it for you

turnipmonster
11-08-2005, 07:57 PM
sorry, but this post is 100% incorrect. it's not any harder to improvise using sweep picking or alternate picking or economy picking or fingerstyle or anything else. to suggest that sweep picking somehow limits your ability to improvise is ludicrous.

--turnipmonster

11-08-2005, 08:07 PM
It is much harder to improvise fast sweeps than fast alternates. Unless you are a monster-player that practices an ungodly amount, this is very much the case.

James Boston
11-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Simply put, get your left hand technique to the point that you can keep up with your right hand as it sweeps down the strings. I never learned how, FWIW.