PDA

View Full Version : Someone has a crush on me

11-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know anything about this website? I am very interested if it's for real, but thinking it might just be spam or phishing.

Let me know what you think. If it turns out legit, I'll let you know what happens.

Hello,
Somebody from xxxxxxx xxxxxxx University has added you to their crush list on XuQa.com. Your admirer, added you through your email and therefore you're getting this message.
Click on the link to learn more.

http://XuQa.com/SQ743CRSH7

All outgoing mails are checked by Habeas to be safe and non-spam. You are getting this mail because your email was explicitly provided to us for sending you a crush notification. Do click the link above to learn more.

Cheers,
The XuQa.com Team

If you do not want to get any further emails, follow this link:
http://XuQa.com/unsubscribe.php

XuQa.com - 1 (413) 884-1046 feedback@XuQa.com 88 Linden St. Williamstown, MA 01267 http://www.XuQa.com

Brainwalter
11-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Do you go to this university? If so it might be real, if not almost certainly not.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-08-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are getting this mail because your email was explicitly provided to us for sending you a crush notification.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting.

whiskeytown
11-08-2005, 05:10 PM
I dunno, man....secret crushes stay secret for a reason - it might be a dude -

cool idea though - I wish them the best...

RB

MrTrik
11-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Ok, it was me. I want your ass.

Do not give these ppl any info. If you do you will be screwed.

11-08-2005, 05:12 PM
I do go to the University listed in the email. Can anyone do a search on the website and find out where and who they are registered with?

thanks

CIncyHR
11-08-2005, 05:17 PM
I got one of these two, checked it out. it seems like a legit website, but as far as the crush thing goes it seems to me that they probably just send thso eout to however many email addresses they can get to get people to join becuase, well, im a loser and who would have a crush on me?

astroglide
11-08-2005, 05:20 PM
99.99% of these are spam

11-08-2005, 05:25 PM
How it usually works:

One person stumbles upon the website and enters the email address of several people on whom he or she has a crush. The above email is then sent to every person on that list. If you click on the link, you will have to provide email addresses of people on whom YOU have a crush. They will notify you if the person who is crushing on you is one of the people you listed, and they will send emails to everyone else you listed. This generates traffic on their website and they get advertising $$.

phixxx
11-08-2005, 05:29 PM
I get these all the time. Don't bother filling them out.

HopeydaFish
11-08-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How it usually works:

One person stumbles upon the website and enters the email address of several people on whom he or she has a crush. The above email is then sent to every person on that list. If you click on the link, you will have to provide email addresses of people on whom YOU have a crush. They will notify you if the person who is crushing on you is one of the people you listed, and they will send emails to everyone else you listed. This generates traffic on their website and they get advertising $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they get advertising dollars, but what they're really after is the email addresses. A site like this can acquire millions of email addresses and then turn around and sell them to spammers. *This* why these sites get created -- they're harvesting email addresses.

And to the OP -- the email that you received saying that "someone has a crush on you" is basically bogus. Someone *did* put your email address in the system at some point, but probably only because she had received a "someone has a crush on you" email and typed in every guy's email address from her address book to find out who had put *her* email address in the system in the first place.

As an aside...about a year ago a friend's girlfriend sent out a nasty email to every guy in her address book, saying that she's received an "e-crush" email and was totally disgusted about it because everyone knows that she's a in a relationship, bla bla bla...I felt insulted that she'd include me in this email, as her boyfriend was/is my best friend and I'd never think of doing such a thing. I tried to inform her about how these sites work (ie. chances are nobody *really* has a crush on her, despite the email she received), but she refused to listen to me. I guess it was much more fun to act all indignant.

jaydub
11-08-2005, 05:57 PM
They have owned your pc via an activex and are using your modem to call a bunch of russian 900 numbers they run. Cancel your phone service and reformat your pc.

11-08-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They have owned your pc via an activex and are using your modem to call a bunch of russian 900 numbers they run. Cancel your phone service and reformat your pc.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ok, I steal wireless internet from my neighbors.

siccjay
11-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Sorry to get your hopes up, but no one likes you.