PDA

View Full Version : Where do you prefer to live?

JcTc
11-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I lived in Phoenix, LA, and Las Vegas when I was younger, but I have lived in small town Wisconsin for the past decade or so. I even lived on a farm for a few years, and I loved living out in the country, but it sucked because the biggest city around was Madison and that was about an hour away. When I graduate I am moving back out to the Phoenix area as I enjoy the big city atmosphere.

So what do you all prefer, the city, the country, or the suburbs?

jesusarenque
11-08-2005, 04:21 PM
City or country. The suburbs suck ass.

RunDownHouse
11-08-2005, 04:21 PM
South of the Mason-Dixon.

I really like where I am in Nashville. Its not the suburbs, but its not the heart of downtown, either. Closer to downtown than to the suburbs. Its got enough green space, restaurants, bars, etc., but I'm not at all worried about crime and other typical inner-city problems.

TheMainEvent
11-08-2005, 04:23 PM
I live in the country now and for a single 20-something it sucks beyond belief. So boring. But if I was raising a family I would definately come back.

11-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Small town outside of a big town. I'm about to move to San Marcos, which is 20 minutes from Austin, and 30 minutes from San Antonio.

pokerdirty
11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
any place with a rapid transit system

edited for "action scott" Jared

Action Scott
11-08-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
any place with a subway

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too, I have lunch there at least 3x per week.

JonPKibble
11-08-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I lived in Phoenix, LA, and Las Vegas when I was younger, but I have lived in small town Wisconsin for the past decade or so. I even lived on a farm for a few years, and I loved living out in the country, but it sucked because the biggest city around was Madison and that was about an hour away. When I graduate I am moving back out to the Phoenix area as I enjoy the big city atmosphere.

[/ QUOTE ]

City is too noisy, country is too lonely, suburbs are too sprawly... I'll vote for a small city.

P.S. There are at least 5 subways in my city.

11-08-2005, 04:39 PM
ugh.

MrTrik
11-08-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm moving to Bozeman MT as soon as I decide to quit grinding it out. I'll be in or near the Gallatin range and will enjoy leaving the rat race. The only other option for me is to get a very large sail boat and bop around ports in the Carribean.

But today I live in a suburb. I grind. Build assets. Hope to strike it rich someday.

11-08-2005, 10:22 PM
I would want to live in a small city too. Right now i'm in Toronto and the traffic here is horrible.

tonypaladino
11-08-2005, 11:20 PM
I grew up in NYC and have never lived anywhere else.

Ideally, I would like to move to a small town/city, but still be close to a major metropolitan area. In the next couple of years, I'll probably be looking around Dutchess County in NY or around NJ and PA.

Part of me also kinda wants to live in Vegas, but I don't know how good of an idea that would be.

TheMetetron
11-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Lived in San Jose my entire life.

Move to Henderson, NV in 2 months.

Will report back.

miajag81
11-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Country > City > Suburbs

I was born in the suburbs, grew up in a small/medium-sized town and now live downtown in a big city. My rankings are based on experience.

Michael Davis
11-08-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't know what kind of big city atmosphere you are hoping to get in Phoenix. When I hear big city atmosphere I assume people are referring to culture, for lack of a better term. Phoenix has none. If you like sports teams and throngs of people, beers and whores, Madison will do just fine.

-Michael

2+2 wannabe
11-08-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
any place with a subway

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too, I have lunch there at least 3x per week.

[/ QUOTE ]

weak

11-08-2005, 11:44 PM
i'd like to live in europe somewhere

yoadrians
11-09-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

City is too noisy, country is too lonely, suburbs are too sprawly... I'll vote for a small city.

P.S. There are at least 5 subways in my city.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this. Best two places I've ever lived were Eau Claire, Wis., and La Crosse, Wis. Both with populations about 50,000-65,000. Both very scenic. Both have everything you need (shopping, restaurants, movie theaters, bars, concerts occasionally). Both had super nice people. Both just a 1-3 hour drive from places like Minneapolis, Madison and Milwaukee for the 'big-city' stuff.

TheMainEvent
11-09-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll probably be looking around Dutchess County in NY

[/ QUOTE ]

You have excellent taste sir.

JcTc
11-09-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what kind of big city atmosphere you are hoping to get in Phoenix. When I hear big city atmosphere I assume people are referring to culture, for lack of a better term. Phoenix has none. If you like sports teams and throngs of people, beers and whores, Madison will do just fine.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost all of my family lives in AZ so that is a big part of it too. Scottsdale (where I will be living) is pretty sweet IMO. Madison is a lot of fun too but I hate winter here. There seems to be a ton of fat chicks in WI, but there are lots of hot ones at UW. Also, I have a fetish for senior citizen women in AZ driving golf carts down the road. And what about the Suns, D-Backs, and Coyotes?

[ QUOTE ]
Best two places I've ever lived were Eau Claire, Wis., and La Crosse, Wis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to school at UW-Eau Claire, and go to LaCrosse every year for Oktoberfest. I think the city of Eau Claire kinda sucks but the bars are pretty decent and it is beautiful as you mentioned. Perhaps my opinion has been skewed as I have been living in the student ghetto for 3 years. As for LaCrosse, downtown is definately awesome.

lighterjobs
11-09-2005, 12:47 AM
http://russelldavies.typepad.com/planning/images/amsterdam.JPG

Clarkmeister
11-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Vegas

Exitonly
11-09-2005, 12:57 AM
Suburbs all the way.

Central Jersey is awesome.

Beach, NYC, Philly, AC. All nearby, but not TOO close.

I love it.

AceHigh
11-09-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Central Jersey is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think of South Jersey? I live in PA, but think I might have to look for my next job in South Jersey.

Kanchi
11-09-2005, 02:10 AM
I prefer a busy crowded city. A place that's always busy, always moving, always bright, and always noisy (being serious). I'd rather a bus pass and a small condo then a car and house.

This is now, it'll probably change when I'm older (20 now).