PDA

View Full Version : how to get into canada?

11-08-2005, 04:08 PM
I've heard many things ranging from you just need driver's license to you need a passport. I have my birth certificate. will that work? I'm trying to get into vancouver BC. please help me!

Manimal
11-08-2005, 04:11 PM
License and birth certificate are good enough. You absolutely do not need a passport. You may want two forms of photo ID, though that shouldn't be necessary.

Benal
11-08-2005, 04:11 PM
If you're Imerican, all you need is your birth cert/drivers lic...

pokerdirty
11-08-2005, 04:12 PM
i hope you're white...

MonkeeMan
11-08-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard many things ranging from you just need driver's license to you need a passport. I have my birth certificate. will that work? I'm trying to get into vancouver BC. please help me!

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is getting OUT of Canada.

MrTrik
11-08-2005, 04:13 PM
You will need a passport in late 2007 or so. Just a picture ID and a birth cert. will do today. I did get hung up once with a photocopy of a birth certificate. Bring one with a raised seal if possible.

Cancuk
11-08-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is getting OUT of Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheMainEvent
11-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Slight hijack-

I have a DWAI (lesser offense than DWI) and in the drunk driving class I was forced to take by the court the instructor said that basically we couldn't get into canada because DWI is such a serious offense there and we could be arrested for trying. Anyone know anything about this? I did a google search and I found a lot of conflicting info.

mrkilla
11-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Lic usually just works. I cross at the Falls all the time with just the BC is a good backup if needed but doubtful
You dont NEED a passport but if you have it you could just use that as well

benfranklin
11-08-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Many years ago, I used to drive across the border often, showing only a US driver's license. A few years back, when I flew in on business, I never thought I would need anything but the driver's license. They weren't happy about me not having a birth certificate, but let me in. Since then, I always have my license and a copy of my birth certificate. That's all you need for Canada or Mexico.

MrTrik
11-08-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lic usually just works. I cross at the Falls all the time with just the BC is a good backup if needed but doubtful
You dont NEED a passport but if you have it you could just use that as well

[/ QUOTE ]

I am always asked for proof of US citizenship. The driver's license doesn't not necessarily provide this. It depends on stat I believe.

A birth certificate will provide that proof. A passport will also.

MonkeeMan
11-08-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give them a nice, crisp picture of Ben Franklin.

MrTrik
11-08-2005, 04:22 PM
As a side note everyone probably already knows: in 2007 and later you will need a passport to go to Mexico, the Carribean, and Canada. And virtually everywhere else. Do yourselves a favor, get a passport.

It's very easy to do and doesn't cost a ton either.

dblgutshot
11-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Just bring some beer and you'll be okay.

benfranklin
11-08-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just bring some beer and you'll be okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking beer into Canada seems a bit redundent, eh? If you guys could just send some of your good stuff down here instead of that watered down version you pass off on Americans, we wouldn't have any reason to go to Canada.

correia
11-08-2005, 04:31 PM
I drove up to Montreal last year and they only asked to see my drivers license at the border.

MrTrik
11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm always flying into Toronto or Montreal. Flying might be the issue with whether you need to prove citizenship or not. I know that 9/11 changed things some for air travelers.

Brom
11-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Quebec likes to run their own show.

benfranklin
11-08-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I drove up to Montreal last year and they only asked to see my drivers license at the border.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that they are a little looser at the border than at airports. If you are obviously driving your own car, you don't set off any (gasp!!) profile alarms.

Warik
11-08-2005, 05:00 PM
how to get to canada? Drive north till people start saying "aboot." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rusty JEDI
11-08-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how to get to canada? Drive north till people start saying "aboot." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can honestly say i've never heard a Canadian pronounce it like that.

Must be an East Coast thing.

rJ

MarkL444
11-08-2005, 05:04 PM
ive crossed the border at detroit many a times. all i ever had was my driver's liscence and my birth cert. although i heard they were gonna change it to require a passport soon.

benfranklin
11-08-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard it a lot. Many hockey announcers do it. Canadians should be right at home here, pronouncing "out" as "oot" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

yellowjack
11-08-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how to get into canada?

[/ QUOTE ]

in a boat

Isura
11-08-2005, 05:37 PM
If you say you are a canadian citizen, 95% of the time they don't ask for any ID.

MyTurn2Raise
11-08-2005, 06:05 PM
I cannot get in due to drug convictions in the US...oh the hypocrisy of the friendly neighbors to the North

Warik
11-08-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Every time I called one of our merchant processing companies, which apparently employs a lotta Canadians, everyone was abooting the heck out of me. weird.

MarkL444
11-08-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you say you are a canadian citizen, 95% of the time they don't ask for any ID.

[/ QUOTE ]

5% of the time you're [censored].

slamdunkpro
11-08-2005, 06:19 PM
I go to BC all the time. A Driver’s license works but it’s a lot easier to return to the US with a Passport.

pokerdirty
11-08-2005, 06:20 PM
why would anyone want to go to canada?

Borodog
11-08-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how to get into canada?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a few waves of air strikes to neutralize their air defense capabilities, followed by carpet bombing to demoralize their ground troops is probably a good place to start.

krimson
11-08-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, we do say that a lot!

<american> "What's that guy wearing on his feet!?!?!"
<canadian> "It's cold here, he's wearing a boot"

MyTurn2Raise
11-08-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to go snowboarding at Whistler

dblgutshot
11-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Yeah I've never once heard anyone say "aboot" and I"ve lived here all my life. I assumed it was as Newfie thing. damn newfies

MonkeeMan
11-09-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.yukonbeer.com/media/brews/arcticRed/Label01.jpg

thatpfunk
11-09-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/5853/potgrow9ds.jpg

benza13
11-09-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Slight hijack-

I have a DWAI (lesser offense than DWI) and in the drunk driving class I was forced to take by the court the instructor said that basically we couldn't get into canada because DWI is such a serious offense there and we could be arrested for trying. Anyone know anything about this? I did a google search and I found a lot of conflicting info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slow response here, but I can say that I got into Canada while technically still not allowed to leave the US becuase of a DWI arrest earlier in the year. It was New Years Eve and I was with friends heading for Montreal, so the guy let me slip through. I do know that the problem was not at all related to the fact that I had a DWI, only that it was still under its Continued without a Finding status.

Cry Me A River
11-09-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I have a DWAI (lesser offense than DWI) and in the drunk driving class I was forced to take by the court the instructor said that basically we couldn't get into canada because DWI is such a serious offense there and we could be arrested for trying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Canadian Border Services Agency (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-e.html)

The Border Information Service (BIS) is a computerized, 24-hour telephone service that provides general border services information on topics in four main categories:

* Personal travel information,
* Business importation/exportation,
* Currency exchange rate information, and
* Residency information.

If you call during office hours (08:00 - 16:00) local time, you can also speak directly to an agent for more specific information.

* Call BIS within Canada (1-800-461-9999)
* Call BIS from outside of Canada (long-distance charges apply):
o (204) 983-3500 or
o (506) 636-5064

prk
11-09-2005, 01:08 PM
All you ever need to cross the border is a valid drivers liscense. Sometimes they dont even ask for it while going to Canada, but on the way back you might as well have it out of your wallet and be ready to hand it over because you WILL get asked.

Bring the BC anyways, just in case. 98% of the time you will not need it though.

tonypaladino
11-09-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a side note everyone probably already knows: in 2007 and later you will need a passport to go to Mexico, the Carribean, and Canada. And virtually everywhere else. Do yourselves a favor, get a passport.

It's very easy to do and doesn't cost a ton either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, you will still be able to get into Canada and Mexico without a passport. The US just won't let you back in without one.