PDA

View Full Version : 200 player NL tournament - Advise

kohho
11-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Hello all,

I recently played in a 200 person NL tournament at the RiverRock in Richmond BC and busted out in 12th spot. Top 10 won a $2,500 buy-in into the BC Poker Championships (11th place got their money back I think).

We were down to two tables of 6 in hand-for-hand mode. Blinds were 3,000 / 6,000. I was UTG with approx. 30,000.

I may have been short-stack but there were another 2 guys at the table with about the same amount of chips as me. Play had become farily tight.

I am dealt KQo UTG and go all-in thinking I am representing quite a bit of strength with this play and that I can not afford to sit around hoping to fold into a position (the other table seemed to have more chips, perhaps 20% more on average).

Everyone folds to the BB who thinks for a while a calls with J9s. He has me covered by a few thousand chips. He flops a straight and I go home in 12th position.

Should I have folded pre-flop? This is the 2nd time I have gotten deep into this tournament and screwed it up a few positions out of the money.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

11-08-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hello all,

I recently played in a 200 person NL tournament at the RiverRock in Richmond BC and busted out in 12th spot. Top 10 won a $2,500 buy-in into the BC Poker Championships (11th place got their money back I think).

We were down to two tables of 6 in hand-for-hand mode. Blinds were 3,000 / 6,000. I was UTG with approx. 30,000.

I may have been short-stack but there were another 2 guys at the table with about the same amount of chips as me. Play had become farily tight.

I am dealt KQo UTG and go all-in thinking I am representing quite a bit of strength with this play and that I can not afford to sit around hoping to fold into a position (the other table seemed to have more chips, perhaps 20% more on average).

Everyone folds to the BB who thinks for a while a calls with J9s. He has me covered by a few thousand chips. He flops a straight and I go home in 12th position.

Should I have folded pre-flop? This is the 2nd time I have gotten deep into this tournament and screwed it up a few positions out of the money.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

[/ QUOTE ]

You got your money in with a better hand. I can't see raising KQ here to 15,000-18,000 and not pot committing yourself. It's push/fold. As I said you got the better of him preflop.

Vancity82
11-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Congrats,

I got taken out by quad Jacks half way through.

With a flat payout structure I don't think anyone is going to help you out too much with the other two short stacks, but you have to remeber when pushing with a hand like KQ your a dog to any Ax and slight dog to a pocket pair which are the hands likely to call you, you got lucky wiht the J9 that was a bad call. I'm guessing the table was shorthanded 5-7 people so the blinds are coming fast and you need to make moves you just got unlucky, if anything pushing with marginal holdings from the button/cutoff when no one opens up the pot is the optimal time to make a move, unless you commit the blinds.

schwza
11-08-2005, 05:06 PM
i push this as soon as i see either card. (maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get the point).

that is, unless i knew that BB was so horrible that he would call with J9s there.

11-08-2005, 05:08 PM
normally pushing with short stack not such a good idea UTG. you can always find a better opportunity in MP or LP no matter what your starting hand is. This case it was a short handed table so I see nothing at all wrong with a push, just a shame that you got donked out.

schwza
11-08-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
normally pushing with short stack not such a good idea UTG. you can always find a better opportunity in MP or LP no matter what your starting hand is. This case it was a short handed table so I see nothing at all wrong with a push, just a shame that you got donked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's 6-handed. if it were 10, his seat would be called MP2. he has 5x. if he pays blinds he'll be down to 3.5x and his FE will be way lower.

11-08-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's 6-handed. if it were 10, his seat would be called MP2. he has 5x. if he pays blinds he'll be down to 3.5x and his FE will be way lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

what i said was:

...This case it was a short handed table so I see nothing at all wrong with a push...

schwza
11-08-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what i said was:

...This case it was a short handed table so I see nothing at all wrong with a push...

[/ QUOTE ]

my mistake, did not read carefully enough.

kohho
11-08-2005, 05:32 PM
You bring up a good point. I did know the caller was the poorest player at the table and I neglected to take this into consideration.

kohho
11-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Too bad about the quad jacks. I'll be back next wednesday, 3rd time lucky I hope.

kuro
11-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Even if you know he calls with a really wide range you've got to push KQ here. Even if you get called by a weak ace, you're really not in that bad of a shape because the blinds are very
significant compared to your stack. You're really just worried about getting called by AA/KK/QQ and AK/AQ here and everyone is calling with those regardless of skill level here.