PDA

View Full Version : Bigstack against midstacks

11-08-2005, 03:02 PM
4 opponents. I have 2700 chips. BB is 50. I attacked sb and bb each time with raises of 250/300. They kept pushing against me.

Do I usually call with one face card?

tigerite
11-08-2005, 03:03 PM
No, you stop raising like a tard when it happens once or twice.

11-08-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, you stop raising like a tard when it happens once or twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, just wow

tigerite
11-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Well, look. You raise so much so that you are 'priced in' to call or whatever with 'pot odds', did it ever occur to you that the very raising in the first place is a leak for such ridiculous amounts? It's like putting a downpayment on something you don't really want, then later on saying 'oh well I've put so much in, I have to buy it now'. Very stupid, wouldn't you agree?

If you're resorting to 'calling with one face card', don't you think you just might be doing something wrong?

jeffraider
11-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Why raise to 250/300? Why bother to play at all with the blinds so puny and your stack so healthy? You think risking 300 to win 75 against players who are pushing back is a good deal?

Quit being a candyass!

11-08-2005, 03:20 PM
You needs to wait for the lower stacks to beat each other. You are going to be in the money even if you fold. Why give them chips? This is my view.

11-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Makes sense. So as bigstack, any tips on aggression? Or just let them devour each other?

11-08-2005, 03:24 PM
IMO just continue playing tight till the blinds are starting to make a difference, which is when the BB is about 100. Then you may start applying a bit of pressure on the midstacks but again, no need to go mad. You should generally wait till you're in or near the money as you should cruise it that far by just playing tight.

11-08-2005, 03:26 PM
thx

11-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Your raises are too big, and stealing at these blinds isn't great anyway. It'll just get people fed up with you so you won't find it as easy to steal when the blinds get really significant.

Hornacek
11-08-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You needs to wait for the lower stacks to beat each other. You are going to be in the money even if you fold. Why give them chips? This is my view.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. this is horrible.

Wait until the blinds are a little bit bigger, and push with more reasonable hands. You want to attack the middle stacks, and the small stack less. The small stack will feel more desperate and willing to mix things up.

On the bubble is the best chance to get free chips from other people trying to just get itm. punish these weak players and make sure they get 2nds and 3rds.

11-08-2005, 03:45 PM
It is not horrible. I protect my chips to make the 3rd place at least. It sounds like the guy lost some chips playing too aggressive. It would not have happened to me.

Nicholasp27
11-08-2005, 03:49 PM
a) when u get big stack early on, u need to wait until level 4 or so to start bullying with only fair-decent holdings...stealing t75 is not worth losing the equity gain from being bigstack vs average stack

b) try raising 3bbs...u don't need to raise 7bbs to get people to fold...your big raise looks suspiciously like a weak hand...also, u are raising to like 30% of a lot of players' stacks, so if they can steal it from you a decent % of the time, they are right to push, as they gain so much when u fold after putting that money in the pot

c) the first time u did it, someone had a good hand...u folded...the 2nd time u did it, someone had a little bit worse of a hand but wanted that 30% of their stack and saw that u are willing to fold after putting 300 chips out there...u folded...the 3rd/4th/5th times, people (especially the shorter stacks) are starting to push with a wide range of cards since u have exposed yourself

d) u see that u are putting urself into a situation where u are seriously contemplating calling off half of ur stack with one face card...think about that some more and realize that instead of asking if u should be calling with bad hands, u should be focusing on how to avoid these bad situations in the first place (ie don't raise 7bbs with q7)

Nicholasp27
11-08-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is not horrible. I protect my chips to make the 3rd place at least. It sounds like the guy lost some chips playing too aggressive. It would not have happened to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

so u are aiming to raise your itm% more than your roi...

u shouldn't pass up +ev opps just to 'ensure' finishing itm

this guy's aggression was incorrect, as the blinds were too low and he was raising too much, but to just fold into 3rd after an early double-up is passing up lots of $$$

11-08-2005, 03:54 PM
No, I would play AA and KK.

Hornacek
11-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Well, what can I say, if it works at your current level, more power to you. But I think you may have to incorporate more of these +EV, +ROI, -ITM moves as you move up into higher levels...

11-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Yes I have had g00t results.

Nicholasp27
11-08-2005, 04:03 PM
i think u are a troll, but in case u are serious...

u say u wanna move up to the $215s next year...

as u move up in levels, u will not be able to fold a 2k early big stack all the way into 3rd place, so u will have to learn how to make +ev aggressive moves and learn how to wield the big stack

it's +ev to learn that now, at easier levels that u are already beating and where the players can be bossed around with less precision, than to learn it after moving up

so if u are serious, consider learning how to be aggressive and play for roi and $$$, not itm

if u are a troll (likely), then whatever

11-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Thank you I came here to learn the game better and to move up faster. Maybe i am being too eager. What is a troll? It sounds funny.