PDA

View Full Version : Do you own or rent your home?

JonPKibble
11-08-2005, 02:36 PM

JonPKibble
11-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Just curious where OOT'ers call 'home'.

On a side note, are there any homeowners here under 25 on here?

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-08-2005, 02:39 PM
As of right now, the bank owns my home more than I do. At the current rate, I'll own it in full in about 28.5 years.

JonPKibble
11-08-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As of right now, the bank owns my home more than I do. At the current rate, I'll own it in full in about 28.5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Just refinanced and did a cash out, to consolidate some credit cards.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-08-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was a homeowner shortly after my 24th birthday, but I'm 25 now.

pokerdirty
11-08-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm 34 years old, and I live in my parents' basement. My mom makes a killer lasagna though.

I play p*k*r professionally, .25-.50 limit, one tabling on my dial up connection for about 4 hrs a day. my win rate is about .55/BB/100, but I think i do ok.

JonPKibble
11-08-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 34 years old, and I live in my parents' basement. My mom makes a killer lasagna though.

I play p*k*r professionally, .25-.50 limit, one tabling on my dial up connection for about 4 hrs a day. my win rate is about .55/BB/100, but I think i do ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious why do people "censor" the word p*ker in this forum?

dcasper70
11-08-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was a homeowner shortly after my 24th birthday, but I'm 25 now.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I always pegged you as early-mid 30's....
You're off to a great start! Add an extra 10% to every mtg payment & you'll own it in 20...

edit: 35, owner

bosoxfan
11-08-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in this boat as well(refinanced about 1.5 years ago) except i pay bi-weekly so that cuts my time down.

Shajen
11-08-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As of right now, the bank owns my home more than I do. At the current rate, I'll own it in full in about 26.5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP to reflect my current status.

I wish I had considered owning a home back when I first moved to Atlanta 6 years ago.

Ugh.

I purchased at age 27.

jaydub
11-08-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bought first home at 23, cashed out a few years later, am now waiting for the inevitable market correction and aspects of my life to stabilize before buying again. in my case i was able to buy at a young age with minimal capital due to a high income, great credit, and the home being in a developing suburb.

namknils
11-08-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I "own" my condo, but not as much as the bank, as Patrick points out.

I'm 23, I bought the condo when I was 20.

Toro
11-08-2005, 02:50 PM
My mortage has been paid off for about 5 years now. Great feeling. You'll get there.

Off topic: Have you seen the new KFC commercials with the secretary laughing at the rocket scientist. Think of you every time I see it.

celiboy
11-08-2005, 02:52 PM
I own and am about a year from paying my mortgage off and I'm 30. I hate debt and it hepled that I lived at home until 25

chessforlife
11-08-2005, 02:55 PM
i live with my girlfriend. she pays the rent because i'm a card carring bum.

MrTrik
11-08-2005, 03:00 PM
I own and am about 6 years from payoff. Probably will trade up before then though.

The Goober
11-08-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a nit (okay, I'm being a nit), but you do actually own your house - the whole thing. The bank has a lien on it - meaning that they you are obligated to give them what you owe if you sell it (and they may be able to stop you from doing certain things to it that might wreck its value).

If the bank actually owned part of it, then they would take a share of the profit if it goes up in value. They don't, though - you could sell the house for 1000% of what you paid, and you only have to pay off the remainder of the mortgage - all the rest of the profit is yours.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-08-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a nit (okay, I'm being a nit), but you do actually own your house - the whole thing. The bank has a lien on it - meaning that they you are obligated to give them what you owe if you sell it (and they may be able to stop you from doing certain things to it that might wreck its value).

If the bank actually owned part of it, then they would take a share of the profit if it goes up in value. They don't, though - you could sell the house for 1000% of what you paid, and you only have to pay off the remainder of the mortgage - all the rest of the profit is yours.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright, good. Let me revise my statement, then.

I own my house and the bank has a lien on a significant portion of its value. I intend to sell it for 1000% of its current value in about 5 to 10 years, at which time I will pay the bank only what remains to be paid off from our agreement 1.5 years ago (and I'll be a multi-millionaire). Well... we'll see about the 1000% part.

Shajen
11-08-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright, good. Let me revise my statement, then.

I own my house and the bank has a lien on a significant portion of its value. I intend to sell it for 1000% of its current value in about 5 to 10 years, at which time I will pay the bank only what remains to be paid off from our agreement 1.5 years ago (and I'll be a multi-millionaire). Well... we'll see about the 1000% part.

[/ QUOTE ]

SIMO

<font color="white">Standard, in my opinion. </font>

chucksim
11-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Purchased at 26. 29 now. I will be paid off in 8 more years at my current pace. Took a 15 year instead of a 30 and pay as much as possible extra each month. Part of any extra money I can scrape up goes to savings and investment, part to pay down the mortgage.

jackdaniels
11-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Own.

Purchased at 27 - paid off at 30 (not via P*ker $$).

A homeowners mortgage is something that CANADIANS should pay off as soon as possible. In the US all that interest is tax deductable, I say kick the bucket while owing the bank 97% of the value of the house (assuming you can get a 3% down mortgage and you don't intend on leaving anything behind). In fact, I think there are some "interest only" mortgages available in the US, but I'm not sure about the details.

Paluka
11-08-2005, 04:45 PM
I pay huge amounts of rent monthly, but less than I used to.