PDA

View Full Version : My Massive Tilt Session

HoldEmKillah
11-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Going on tilt is nothing unusual for any of us let alone me. But last night something triggered in my brain right from the start of the day and I was on sickening, destructive tilt for EVERY SINGLE HAND on every single table I was on (five NL1k tables). It could account from having a bad start at the 2k tables. Or it could be that I haven't really spent as much time at the tables lately as I usually do therefore my rythm was off. Or a couple of ugly beats that threw me off early. I can't put my finger on it but it was the nastiest and worst tilt (and worst play) I have ever experienced. And it's not even close. Try -9 buy ins over 2000 hands. Yeah.

Did anyone from here witness my self-destruction from last night? If so, please chime in and either berate me, scold me, laugh at me, encourage me, flame me, whatever. Just say something so that I never do this again. Please.

HEK

btw...is there anything you guys do after a single day like this? Do you drop down a couple levels to cool off? Jump back in but focus on staying cool? I'm not really steaming now. I'm over it....almost. But I sure as [censored] don't want a repeat performance.

chuddo
11-08-2005, 02:45 PM
the only way to gain tilt-lossed buyins is a stronger, more crazed insane tilt session.

pm me for private table where you can vent this frustration.

seriously though, whenever i am tilted by something, and then do something stupid out of tilt and lose, it usually causes me to immediately quit because i am pissed at myself.

now if something tilts me, and then another beat or cold-decking happens out of my power, then i usually go crazier. when this is the case, one dumb move by me isn't enough to snap me out of it and cause me to quit, it usually takes two.

thabadguy
11-08-2005, 02:47 PM
When i drop a few buyins and go on tilt mode..i take a break...smoke a cig...play brothers in arms for a lil ..
thats what killing nazis is for....to cure poker tilt.

FoxwoodsFiend
11-08-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When i drop a few buyins and go on tilt mode..i take a break...smoke a cig...play brothers in arms for a lil ..
thats what killing nazis is for....to cure poker tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you tell the difference between you in normal mode and you in tilt mode...? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

thabadguy
11-08-2005, 02:56 PM
LoL, when im in normal mode, i am raping the table...
when im in tilt mode..i play weak tight.

Denutz
11-08-2005, 03:21 PM
I "try" to take a few days off. But honestly I'm more motivated to get the money back then I was in the first place to win it.

Don't know about you HEK, but I've tried to put session loss-limits in place to curb this tendency to have one massive tilt which ruins weeks worth of work, but haven't had much luck. Two or three stacking bad beats generally puts me on massive monkey tilt action.

I think I need to shoot a pillow like Robert DeNiro in "Analyze This". Playing Navy Seals just makes me angrier b/c I get demerits for shooting people too loudly.

Good luck, we should invent some pill for tilting, sell it on the intarmanet.

AceHiStation
11-08-2005, 03:31 PM
I usually tilt until I get suckout for one buyin, then I feel ok closing down. That usually takes me 3-4 buyins. Last night I tried something new though. I have been working with a lower stakes player a bit and giving him advice on HHs. Last night after dropping a few buyins to the 5/10 game and busting out of 3 different tourneys on suckouts, I needed a break. We created a $100 NL private table and just played heads up for a while. I lost a buyin to him before coming back and winning my money back, but it was enjoyable. After that I moved to the 3/6 tables and proceeded to dominate like normal again. I think a good break is definately in order but I enjoy playing some sports or some sort of socialization. A couple beers also seems to work well /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

turnipmonster
11-08-2005, 03:34 PM
having a UB .05/.10 table of rage is highly recommended.

psuasskicker
11-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Sit at a Party $.50/$1 table with $1,000, raise every single hand PF at every opportunity, and then play raise or fold after the flop. Do this for an hour or two.

Does great to blow off steam, and also reinforces the power of aggression in your sessions. Ten bucks says you don't lose nearly as much money as you think you would. I'm actually only down about 0.2 BB/100 doing this over quite a few tilt sessions...

- C -

mythrilfox
11-08-2005, 03:48 PM
One thing I used to try to do when I lost a big pot was simulate tilt to get more action, but as time went on I found the simulation was more reality than anything. I'd make a play and say to myself "well, he thinks I'm on tilt etc. etc. so I should make this loose call", but it would be a terrible call and you can always justify staying by saying you have a great image right now and should be able to make it back easily. But accurately simulating tilt while being able to remain completely calm and focused... it's a very difficult thing to do, and it can be very costly if you're not as good at it as you think you are.

tom
11-08-2005, 04:02 PM
try losing 9 buyins on one table. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

take some time off. i have found that bad play and tilt is followed by bad luck. the only time i ever got runner runner perfect against me (lost one stack with flopped top set to runner runner underset quads) was on this bad session.

Matt Flynn
11-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Absolutely. It is very cathartic to have 6 guys chat-yelling "Donkey!" at you, and all for the low low price of $10 no matter how bad it gets. Plus you sometimes go on a 20-buyin run.

Rotating Rabbit
11-08-2005, 05:32 PM
dude

cannabis first then poker

end of thread.

Dr. Strangelove
11-08-2005, 05:34 PM
I don't tilt; I get frustrated after being two outed and runner runnered and cold decked in the big pots, but it just makes me play a bit more aggressively and slightly looser.

And a couple times a year I will go broke in a situation where nobody should go broke, and I will have to go for a walk.

JaBlue
11-08-2005, 06:27 PM
9 buyins over 2000 hands is a tilt fest for you? Consider yourself lucky

vanHelsing
11-08-2005, 06:53 PM
I had massive tilt problems and I finally found a method, that really helps me.
Do a google for EFT (emotional freedom techniques).
Or just click here (http://www.thrivingnow.com/for/Health/category/Learning%20EFT/) or here. (http://www.emofree.com/)
This is no joke, try it!

HoldEmKillah
11-08-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
9 buyins over 2000 hands is a tilt fest for you? Consider yourself lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

So you mean that losing 9 buy ins is GOOD day for you?? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well I found a cure. I guess I was so in fear of playing like crap again that I've been sharp as a knife since I sat down today.

Today: 3.75hrs +$7516 after 1299 hands. That's better. Thanks guys. The words help as always.

fsuplayer
11-08-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't tilt

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
but it just makes me play a bit more aggressively and slightly looser.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate to be the one to break this to you.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

punter11235
11-08-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Today: 3.75hrs +$7516 after 1299 hands. That's better. Thanks guys. The words help as always.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good comeback. Your description of tilt is scary.. btw is your Party ID public? I will PM you when I see you on monkey tilt again :-)

punter11235
11-08-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i hate to be the one to break this to you....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I thikn that everybody tilt sometimes but it can be hard to spot deterioration of ones game.
I can say that I never go on monkey tilt though.
Killah's description sounds as one of those though...

BobboFitos
11-08-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I thikn that everybody tilt sometimes but it can be hard to spot deterioration of ones game

[/ QUOTE ]

tommy angelo is tiltless.

"he's a slowwwww, roller."

Ulysses
11-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Post-loss ideas:

1) Uncapped buyin UB NL games.
2) Royal Holdem.

IHateCats
11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
While I very rarely tilt which is probably my strongest attribute as a player other than game selection, when I do do it, I have found a few things that help me get over it relatively quickly.

Option 1, do as turnip suggests, drop down to some really low level and just rampage for a while. Work out all that bad beat ugliness by sucking out a few times yourself. cheap sit and go tournaments are another good option, getting all in preflop with 910 offsuit when it is the correct play can be very theraputic.

Option 2, play some adrenalin based first person shooter where you can pracitice name calling vs 12 year olds, counter-strike, Doom, Halo, Battlefield 2, whatever floats your boat. Do this for a good 2 hours or until your eyeballs feel like they've been sanded.

Option 3, give the girlfriends cat one hell of a good kicking, nothing like feline distress to work out the frustation.

Option 4, watch old Chou Yun Fat movie with body count in the hundreds and be glad you aren't nameless triad guy #73. By the time it's over you won't likely be thinking about poker.

If none of these work, simply take a day off after you drop 3-4 buyins, you're not likely to be playing your best under that kind of stress but don't knock option 3 til you've tried it.

HoldEmKillah
11-09-2005, 02:03 AM
OK. My 1st day back from Tilt is over. Some numbers:

NL1000
Hands: 2445
MT ratio: 3.61
Won $ SD: 55.56
ptbb/100: 20.73
$ won: $10,138.52!!

Wow back to back worst day ever then best day ever. I need a drink. Or sleep. Or both.

G'night.

thabadguy
11-09-2005, 02:05 AM
vn.

11-09-2005, 02:06 AM
Happens to everyone...ive tilted over 25 buyins 1 day before in the 400s(prob a little extreme tho). I think if u can come back the next day and play solid...it only makes u better. I actually went through i think like -50 buyins over September due to about 5 days where i played horrid. I dont know if you play multis or sngs but i started mixing those in to make poker more fun...rather than the regular grind. Everyone tilts tho...just maybe not as much as my 5x buyin open pushes with 78... GL KILLA

r3vbr
11-09-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OK. My 1st day back from Tilt is over. Some numbers:

NL1000
Hands: 2445
MT ratio: 3.61
Won $ SD: 55.56
ptbb/100: 20.73
$ won: $10,138.52!!

Wow back to back worst day ever then best day ever. I need a drink. Or sleep. Or both.

G'night.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats your screen name?
ive seen a "Holdem_NL" at pokerstars is that you?

fsuplayer
11-09-2005, 10:06 AM
feels good to comeback like that. even more so when its a session later in the same day.

wp.

AZK
11-09-2005, 10:26 AM
no. that's not him.

cero_z
11-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Hey HEK,

Nicely done. I don't wish to rain on your parade, but do try to realize that you'd still have probably 5K+ more than you have now, if you hadn't tilted so badly yesterday. Your great success and play today makes you feel better about your loss yesterday, but it accompanies the loss; it doesn't erase it.

HoldEmKillah
11-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks cero. Very well said.