PDA

View Full Version : Windows Limited User Account

oscark
11-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Ok, so I appear to be completely computer illiterate. I just set up limited user accounts, but most of the previously installed software now only appears when I login as an administrator. How do I make it available to the limited account as well?

Thanks,

Oscar

CORed
11-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Items in your start menu are folders shortcut files in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu. Destop icons are shortcut files in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop. The shortcuts in the "All Users\Start Menu" and "All Users\Desktop" folder are, amazingly enough, visible to all users. The shortcuts in the "username" folders are only visible to that user. To make the software accessible to your new user accounts, you need to copy the shortcuts (or entire folders under the "Start Menu" folder, from the "Administrator" folder to either the user's folder ot the "All users" folder. To copy to the "All Users" folder, you will need to be logged in as Administrator, or a user in the Administrators group.

You can access a user's "Start Menu" folder by right clicking the "Start" button and clicking "Explore". If you don't know how to copy files, I would strongly suggest either getting a basic book on how to use Windows or take a class on basic PC/Windows usage.