PDA

View Full Version : Home network through wireless broadband?

321Mike
11-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I currently have 2 desktops and a phone (VoIP) connected by a router to cable internet. I'm planning to get a laptop soon and will use the Verizon wireless broadband. Now, I'm trying to figure out ways to save some money.

I'll get rid of the phone because Verizon requires I have a cell phone contract to get the wireless broadband. It will be my first cell phone - that's how behind the times I am. My real question is, can I get rid of the cable internet connection? I still want to be able to connect to the internet with my two home computers. Is there a way to connect them through my laptop? I'm well within the broadband coverage area for Verizon so I should have a pretty good connection, but will networking two computers on top of the laptop make it slow? And finally, are there any upgrades I need to make sure I get when I order the laptop? I'm probably going with the Dell 9300.

astroglide
11-08-2005, 01:53 PM
you don't need a phone to get data plans with any carrier i've seen, and many have pc cards for laptop connections (no phone used at all).

i would muuuuuuuuuuuch rather use cable if it were available for speed/reliability reasons.

you're going to need to share the connection using an actual computer because there aren't any mobile phone data plan routers. this means setting up sharing, enabling the firewall, and then concerning yourself with the fact that the routing computer can't crash or be rebooted because it will knock out any other computers using the connection.

also consider how you're going to use the phone if it's currently providing your internet connection.

this basically sounds like a terrible idea to me. there's a reason you probably don't know anybody who has even attempted it.

Freakin
11-08-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

also consider how you're going to use the phone if it's currently providing your internet connection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I interpreted it as getting both a phone (cause Verizon 'said so') and also getting a data card.

In every way, I think this is a terrible idea. I've thought about it conceptually (cause I saw routers with PCMCIA cards) but I couldn't see any good reason for ever trying.