PDA

View Full Version : $5 - Help my play in this SNG - 4 hands.

11-08-2005, 11:55 AM
First off, can't seem to get convertor to work for Pokerstars, do I have to download THIS (http://www.tightpoker.com/replayer.html) after using the PokerStars converter in the FAQ? I'm unsure. But please excuse the HH formats for this time if you can, and I'll make sure I fix it for my next posts. Cheers

OK guys, I've been playing a few SNG's recently, having switched to them from ring games, and playing fairly well in them. Now I've set aside, $100 on PokerStars (I don't feel 100% happy with the way their deck seems to go, but it has the best structure so just have to live with it) and I'm hoping to build a good bankroll and learn along the way. My bankroll management is good so no worries there, I shall be starting with the $5+$0.50 9 man SNG's.

Anyway, enough of the blab, just finished my first SNG of this attempt and finished 5th, blah! But got a few hands I would like to post for anybody who's a good SNG player to look over with me. I've read both Harrington books which have helped my game a lot, and I feel I am better than the average $5 SNG player, but I want to be crushing this level and then moving on up.

So here goes:

HAND #1

One of the first few hands at the table, in the early rounds I play tight but is folding to a min-raise here TOO tight when I can expect to see both blinds call and have a 5 way-pot, bearing in mind I can dump this on an A-high flop easily.

Table '14836651 1' (Real Money) -- Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 0
Seat 1: GLASLASS (1500)
Seat 2: DaN_AK_ (1480)
Seat 3: iatoymwya70 (1380)
Seat 4: apparition (1160)
Seat 5: TILT77 (1500)
Seat 6: sugarcakes (1500)
Seat 7: Phildude (1580)
Seat 8: dachs22 (1500)
Seat 9: SICKEM47 (1900)
apparition posts small blind (10)
TILT77 posts big blind (20)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to DaN_AK_ [ 3d, Ad ]
sugarcakes folds.
Phildude raises (40) to 40
dachs22 folds.
SICKEM47 calls (40)
GLASLASS folds.
DaN_AK: .....

HAND #2

No playable hands and one blind attempt gone wrong, there's this hand with blinds now on level 4 and me with a decreasing stack. When checked to on the flop I will fire out a bet to try and take it down but get called. Now the 100 bet on the turn from villian gives me 5-1 odds but I'm shortstacked. Do I fold, use my position to flat call and re-evaluate on the river, or push it all-in here hoping villian is trying to catch a cheap flush draw on the river.

POKERSTARS GAME #3004209395: TOURNAMENT #14836651, HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL IV (50/100) - 2005/11/08 - 09:57:48 (ET)
Table '14836651 1' Seat #8 is the button
Seat 2: DaN_AK_ (930 in chips)
Seat 5: TILT77 (3960 in chips)
Seat 7: Phildude (2427 in chips)
Seat 8: dachs22 (4471 in chips)
Seat 9: SICKEM47 (1712 in chips)
SICKEM47: posts small blind 50
DaN_AK_: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DaN_AK_ [Tc 2c]
TILT77: folds
Phildude: folds
dachs22: folds
SICKEM47: calls 50
DaN_AK_: checks
*** FLOP *** [Qs Ts 6h]
SICKEM47: checks
DaN_AK_: bets 150
SICKEM47: calls 150
*** TURN *** [Qs Ts 6h] [Kc]
SICKEM47: bets 100
DaN_AK : .....

HAND #3

Now the short stack in front of me flat-calls, a mistake in my eyes, but I pick up a strong hand, one of the best I'm likely to see from here to the end given blinds are going up. My stacks good, but not great. What should I do here? I feel one leak of mine is to push all-in in these situations, how good is this play? The short stack hadn't seemed to get too out of line, and other two guys had got their stacks from a couple of donks and weren't very active since.

POKERSTARS GAME #3004213059: TOURNAMENT #14836651, HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL IV (50/100) - 2005/11/08 - 09:58:57 (ET)
Table '14836651 1' Seat #2 is the button
Seat 2: DaN_AK_ (1810 in chips)
Seat 5: TILT77 (3860 in chips)
Seat 8: dachs22 (4621 in chips)
Seat 9: SICKEM47 (782 in chips)
TILT77: posts small blind 50
Phildude: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DaN_AK_ [Qh As]
SICKEM47: calls 100

HAND #4

Final hand, I hadn't noticed the UTG raiser for a while, he'd been quiet watching the short stacks dissapear. Now he min-raises and two guys call in front of me. I have a fairly good hand but should I just fold it, or given villians unwillingness to get too involved, is it a good move to push it ALL-IN here, considering my stack still needs to double to be competitive, hoping original raiser doesn't have a REAL monster and that seeing a few bigger stacks yet to act he elects to fold, and the other two guys choosing not to re-raise before, I can take advantage that neither has shown any real strength and make them fold also... your views on this one?

POKERSTARS GAME #3004223869: TOURNAMENT #14836651, HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL IV (50/100) - 2005/11/08 - 10:02:17 (ET)
Seat 2: DaN_AK_ (1478 in chips)
Seat 5: TILT77 (3810 in chips)
Seat 7: Phildude (1844 in chips)
Seat 8: dachs22 (5204 in chips)
Seat 9: SICKEM47 (1164 in chips)
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DaN_AK_ [8h 8s]
TILT77: raises 100 to 200
dachs22: calls 200

Any input is greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing any thoughts. Cheers guys.

11-08-2005, 12:05 PM
#1: Fold. A3 is not a good hand at all at this stage, it'll just get you in trouble.
#2: I bet less on the flop, then probably check/fold the rest of the way.
#3: I suppose I push. A normal sized raise to say t500 is going to commit a large portion of your stack and you can't really fold to a push from someone else. AQo is nice and all, but I don't really want to be playing in a multi-way pot.
#4: You're getting wonderful pot odds to just call. I probably call and try to hit a set.

This is how i'd play these hands. I'm not a super-experienced player, so take this advice with a large grain of salt.

11-08-2005, 12:08 PM
#1: Fold- A ragged A+ FLush draw just isnt worth it. Fold and keep out of a bad situation.

#2: You correctly bet this flop to try and take it, now it seems like this guy chased his AK or had a Q and is just value-betting you. Also possible he was chasing a straight draw. Nothing he could have that you are ahead of.

#3: I raise to 400 here, trying to get HU with the SS. If someone else pushes over the top you are in a sticky situation, but it depends on when blinds go up as to whether you call/fold.

#4: Very close, I probably wait for a better spot, depending on when blinds jump to 150. A minraise UTG and 2 callers makes a nice sized pot, but at a $5, I am always scared of an UTG minraise. Probably a fold.

11-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Hand 1
It's too early. I'm not playing Axs in minraised pot as only 3rd player with 3 to act. Another caller or two ahead of me I'll try to call. I feel like I throw away my calling chips when one of the 3 behind raises. I certainly share the temptation to call for the nut flush draw tho.

Hand 2
Pushing allin on flop. No time to screw around with minbet on flop shortstacked, for the very reasons you're asking the question now. If you think he just called with a Q, then your dead anyway. BB shortstacked can suck.

Hand 3
Enough chips at this level to not push. I'd do normal raise, prolly 300-500.

Hand 4
So many chips in I'd call to see a flop. Need a set prolly with so many players.

I'm new at this, so anyone thinking I'm an idiot, please tell me. Offering my opinion, but also listening to learn.
-matt

GtrHtr
11-08-2005, 12:33 PM
One of the keys to the lower buyin STT's on Stars (or anywhere else with 1500 starting chips) is to play your strong hands aggressively and allow your opponents to make mistakes to knock themselves and each other out. Two of the keys to successful late and/or bubble play are to push from position when you are first to act and to almost never call a push from a stack equal or greater than you.

With those points in mind, how do you now think you should play these 4 hands?

11-08-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the keys to the lower buyin STT's on Stars (or anywhere else with 1500 starting chips) is to play your strong hands aggressively and allow your opponents to make mistakes to knock themselves and each other out. Two of the keys to successful late and/or bubble play are to push from position when you are first to act and to almost never call a push from a stack equal or greater than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good post, thanks to yourself and everybody for the time to read and reply. Given all the above advice, put in the same situations again I believe I would:

#1 - FOLD

#2 - PUSH on the flop.

#3 - RAISE TO 400. fold to re-raise from big stacks. calling SS.

#4 - CALL looking for set value.

I understand the point above about the first-in vigour, however in the last two examples I was not first in which is why I believe the situations were more interesting and seeked advice upon. Thanks all. I will wait for a few more replies and post results when the thread drops from the first couple of pages.

GtrHtr
11-08-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A good post, thanks to yourself and everybody for the time to read and reply. Given all the above advice, put in the same situations again I believe I would:

#1 - FOLD

#2 - PUSH on the flop.

#3 - RAISE TO 400. fold to re-raise from big stacks. calling SS.

#4 - CALL looking for set value.

I understand the point above about the first-in vigour, however in the last two examples I was not first in which is why I believe the situations were more interesting and seeked advice upon. Thanks all. I will wait for a few more replies and post results when the thread drops from the first couple of pages.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I'm glad you're thinking. # 2 pushing is an option but you might also consider a check/fold line with your stack still beeing about 10 x BB. Look for opportunities to pick up the blinds from the sb - CO as the blinds move.

#3 and #4 rethink - apply the gap concept. BTW, I really don't want to play middle pairs for set value when the blinds get that high.

One more bit of advice, play the turbos.

Welcome to the forum.

11-08-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

LOL, I'm glad you're thinking. # 2 pushing is an option but you might also consider a check/fold line with your stack still beeing about 10 x BB. Look for opportunities to pick up the blinds from the sb - CO as the blinds move.

#3 and #4 rethink - apply the gap concept. BTW, I really don't want to play middle pairs for set value when the blinds get that high.

One more bit of advice, play the turbos.

Welcome to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

With hand #4 I was in fact thinking of the gap concept and I pushed. I suppose I may be thinking results-orientated when I considered calling, as I did lose and bust out of the tournament. But I'm still not confident this push is really +EV, especially considering I can only realistically be hoping for a coinflip if called... and the two big stacks, UTG raiser and flat caller were both playing fairly tight up until now. And last couple of hands I had been seen to be playing LAG, open-pushing two hands and not getting called previous. Info I should have originally included I know.

And again HAND #3, I believe a 400 raise would allow me to fold if one of the tight two blinds come over the top, no?

Thanks for the welcome. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

EDIT: Oh, and why the turbo's? The reason I play on PokerStars is I don't like the all-in fests that happen on Party and with quick blinds won't this be happening too? I like the chance to play some poker with 10 min blinds.

GtrHtr
11-08-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
still not confident this push is really +EV, especially considering I can only realistically be hoping for a coinflip if called...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you are aware of this but the Gap Concept essentially involves needing a stonger hand to enter a raised pot. I don't think 88 is that type of hand.

You seem to be playing push/fold poker so the turbos would suit you. Also $ per hour. Also, most of the advice you will get here is based on push/fold poker.

11-08-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you are aware of this but the Gap Concept essentially involves needing a stonger hand to enter a raised pot. I don't think 88 is that type of hand.

You seem to be playing push/fold poker so the turbos would suit you. Also $ per hour. Also, most of the advice you will get here is based on push/fold poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

The squeeze play is what I meant, hey it was a late night last night lol. What I thought when I pushed hand #4 was that original raiser, seeing two callers behind him and my raise, may fold his two high cards and the two callers, showing no strength by flat calling would also fold and I pick up the blinds.

I get you totally now, thankyou. Still think #4 is such an interesting one, bringing up many different opinions. You'd recommened based upon the gap theory, folding the 88's correct? I get you.

When I get into Harringtons "Orange zone", with an "M" or below 10 (about 15 BB) I do play mainly push or fold, as it gives me the maximum fold equity to steal the blinds, and by this stage I'm normally at a stage where I need to blind steal and eventually double up to get in amongst the money. Of course it always depends on my reads of the villians I'm stealing from. May have a look at the turbo's, see how it goes.

On the up however, played my second SNG of my little "challenge" and after a half hour heads up battle, beginning when blinds were only 75/150, started even on chips, fell 3-1 behind, got back even, fell 3-1 ahead, back even and finally killing it I finished a very pleasing 1st. However there's a few more hands I picked up along the way I shall be postly in a seperate thread shortly.

Cheers all. Post results of above hands in a while.

11-08-2005, 03:08 PM
I agree it's not great to play middle pairs for set value with big blinds. But this has got to be the perfect situation.. you're in the BB, with a minraiser and two callers behind you. Your pot odds are 7:1, which is about the odds of flopping a set even if you completely discount implied odds.

11-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Well, I've picked up some great advice and thank you all for your comments, it's interesting seeing so many different responses, but I've picked up some good stuff. Here come the results and my conclusions:

HAND #1

Previously I would have called, but decided to tighten up on the first few levels, still neither calling or folding seems terrible so I may decide to mix it up a bit and see what happens in the future. Picked up a dream flop and somebody betting heavily, sod's law!

POKERSTARS GAME #3004112418: TOURNAMENT #14836651, HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL I (10/20) - 2005/11/08 - 09:25:44 (ET)
Table '14836651 1' Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: GLASLASS (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: DaN_AK_ (1480 in chips)
Seat 3: iatoymwya70 (1380 in chips)
Seat 4: apparition (1160 in chips)
Seat 5: TILT77 (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: sugarcakes (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: Phildude (1580 in chips)
Seat 8: dachs22 (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: SICKEM47 (1900 in chips)
apparition: posts small blind 10
TILT77: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DaN_AK_ [3d Ad]
sugarcakes: folds
Phildude: raises 20 to 40
SICKEM47: calls 40
GLASLASS: folds
DaN_AK_: folds
iatoymwya70: folds
apparition: folds
TILT77: calls 20
*** FLOP *** [4d Jd 7d]
TILT77: bets 20
Phildude: raises 424 to 444
SICKEM47: folds
Phildude collected 170 from pot
Phildude: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 170 | Rake 0
Board [4d Jd 7d]
Seat 1: GLASLASS folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: DaN_AK_ folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: iatoymwya70 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: apparition (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: TILT77 (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 6: sugarcakes folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Phildude collected (170)
Seat 8: dachs22 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: SICKEM47 folded on the Flop

HAND #2

Well the odds were too inviting, I called the T100 bet as I was in position. OOP I think I would have folded, but I picked up two pair and the money got in there itself. Villian accused me of being a donk for calling on the turn, although I tried explaining to him my justifications for the play he was having none of it, although didn't complain when he sucked out on me the very next hand you'll see... 'tis life!

POKERSTARS GAME #3004209395: TOURNAMENT #14836651, HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL IV (50/100) - 2005/11/08 - 09:57:48 (ET)
Seat 2: DaN_AK_ (930 in chips)
Seat 5: TILT77 (3960 in chips)
Seat 8: dachs22 (4471 in chips)
Seat 9: SICKEM47 (1712 in chips)
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DaN_AK_ [Tc 2c]
SICKEM47: calls 50
DaN_AK_: checks
*** FLOP *** [Qs Ts 6h]
SICKEM47: checks
DaN_AK_: bets 150
*** TURN *** [Qs Ts 6h] [Kc]
SICKEM47: bets 100
DaN_AK_: calls 100
*** RIVER *** [Qs Ts 6h Kc] [2h]
SICKEM47: bets 600
DaN_AK_: calls 580 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
SICKEM47: shows [Qh Js] (a pair of Queens)
DaN_AK_: shows [Tc 2c] (two pair, Tens and Deuces)
DaN_AK_ collected 1860 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1860 | Rake 0
Board [Qs Ts 6h Kc 2h]
Seat 2: DaN_AK_ (big blind) showed [Tc 2c] and won (1860) with two pair, Tens and Deuces
Seat 5: TILT77 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Phildude folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: dachs22 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: SICKEM47 (small blind) showed [Qh Js] and lost with a pair of Queens

HAND #3

I pushed the AQo, and think I'd do the same again. Had him dominated and lost to a 4 outer but at least I had him covered.

POKERSTARS GAME #3004213059: TOURNAMENT #14836651, HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL IV (50/100) - 2005/11/08 - 09:58:57 (ET)
Table '14836651 1' Seat #2 is the button
Seat 2: DaN_AK_ (1810 in chips)
Seat 5: TILT77 (3860 in chips)
Seat 8: dachs22 (4621 in chips)
Seat 9: SICKEM47 (782 in chips)
TILT77: posts small blind 50
Phildude: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DaN_AK_ [Qh As]
SICKEM47: calls 100
DaN_AK_: raises 1710 to 1810 and is all-in
SICKEM47: calls 682 and is all-in
*** FLOP *** [5c 7d 6h]
*** TURN *** [5c 7d 6h] [4h]
*** RIVER *** [5c 7d 6h 4h] [Td]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
SICKEM47: shows [Ah 3h] (a straight, Three to Seven)
DaN_AK_: shows [Qh As] (high card Ace)
SICKEM47 collected 1714 from pot
DaN_AK_ said, "now there's a suck out"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1714 | Rake 0
Board [5c 7d 6h 4h Td]
Seat 2: DaN_AK_ (button) showed [Qh As] and lost with high card Ace
Seat 5: TILT77 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: Phildude (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: dachs22 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: SICKEM47 showed [Ah 3h] and won (1714) with a straight, Three to Seven

HAND #4

Original raiser folded as I'd hoped, although I guess due to my LAG image couldn't get all villians out and lost the coin flip. In future I would probably call and as suggested before and push all-in when I'm first to enter the pot only.

POKERSTARS GAME #3004223869: TOURNAMENT #14836651, HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL IV (50/100) - 2005/11/08 - 10:02:17 (ET)
Seat 2: DaN_AK_ (1478 in chips)
Seat 5: TILT77 (3810 in chips)
Seat 7: Phildude (1844 in chips)
Seat 8: dachs22 (5204 in chips)
Seat 9: SICKEM47 (1164 in chips)
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DaN_AK_ [8h 8s]
TILT77: raises 100 to 200
dachs22: calls 200
DaN_AK_: raises 1278 to 1478 and is all-in
dachs22: calls 1278
SICKEM47: folds
*** FLOP *** [As Qc 9c]
Phildude said, "ohhh"
*** TURN *** [As Qc 9c] [7s]
*** RIVER *** [As Qc 9c 7s] [Jh]
DaN_AK_ said, "gg"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
DaN_AK_: shows [8h 8s] (a pair of Eights)
dachs22: shows [9s Ac] (two pair, Aces and Nines)
dachs22 collected 3356 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3356 | Rake 0
Board [As Qc 9c 7s Jh]
Seat 2: DaN_AK_ (big blind) showed [8h 8s] and lost with a pair of Eights
Seat 5: TILT77 folded before Flop
Seat 7: Phildude folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: dachs22 (button) showed [9s Ac] and won (3356) with two pair, Aces and Nines
Seat 9: SICKEM47 (small blind) folded before Flop

THANK YOU ALL - Any comments still welcomed.