PDA

View Full Version : $5 SH SnG reraising allin+caller

11-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Just curious about thoughts on this subject. Bubble situation where someone goes allin and gets a caller. When do you call too. Or reraise to push out the other caller. At the time it felt irritating that someone did this, but... what are the times when it's proper?

Specifically...
UB 6-seated SnG $5.5 buyin. 3 players left. All reasonably solid players (at least in appearance to this newbie).
Blinds 20-40
Me Button ~3000
SB ~ 4500
BB ~ 1500

I raise my standard 150 with 99.
SB calls
BB pushes allin.

I'm figuring him for 2 or even 1 overcard, so...

I call.
SB pushes allin.

Ugh! Can't we cooperate to knock this guy out? I'm covered, so I fold.

When is this the right play? Sure, if he had AA/KK it makes some sense, but.. what else? Even then, isn't getting the bubble popped better? Or does chipleader have a different view on things (not THAT big a chipleader though).

I'll post the showdown in a few hours/posts from now.

--Matt

tigerite
11-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Your call was stupid.

Let's see why: You fold, SB calls, you either get

Blinds 20-40
Me Button ~2850
SB ~ 3000
BB ~ 3150

Or

Blinds 20-40
Me Button ~2850
SB ~ 6150
BB ~ 0

Either way, your $EV goes up, by doing absolutely nothing. Why would you want to get involved at 20/40 blinds with 99? Just let it go after your raise is called and re-raised. Terrible play by ICM and just by common sense.

11-08-2005, 01:32 PM
i agree. 99 should be an easy enough hand to get away from with blinds as low as this. if you fold instead of calling the bb push, you still have a big chip advantage over the small stack. otherwise if you are really in love with 99, overpush after the BB pushes to isolate against anything except for AA, KK, QQ from the SB

11-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the reply and the explanation. Still too early for any 50/50 allins then, is what it sounds like. I appreciate the point. I guess I must be over-valuing middle pairs 3-handed with smallish blinds.

However, I'm still curious about the question that I asked about the other raiser. Even if mine is a bad example, perhaps there's another example that fits (so, only QQ or KK can call, but I'd expect allin with those, and only a call with AA to suck in the other guy). The question remains why would someone reraise rather than just call to put someone out?

As far as the end of the hand, just for finishing off that story, after I folded, the re-raiser had 88 to the small-stack's TJ and board was 3TJ94. The former chipleader ended up going out 3rd about a dozen or so hands later at the hand of the former small stack.

Thanks!
-matt