PDA

View Full Version : Internet Switch? Please advise.

oscark
11-08-2005, 11:35 AM
So I have a LAN with currently 4 computers, but going up to 10. My router only has 4 ethernet ports. Someone recommended I buy an 8 port switch. Unfortunately, once I have the switch, not sure what I do with it. Do I plug it into the router? The broadband modem? Is it difficult to configure? All advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Oscar K

oscark
11-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Also, will this mean we won't have individual IP addresses, making it impossible to play from more than one computer?

SjPdX
11-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Should work without any problem. The switch is just a pass through. You can feed the switch from one of the 4 ports on your router to one of the 8 ports on the switch with a regular network cable. If you need to use the uplink ports, you'll need a crossover cable.

astroglide
11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
plug it into the router. you'll still get ip addresses. you may need to use an 'uplink' port which will be specified in the switch's documentation (it's usually the last port on the switch, and sometimes has a button to toggle its mode).

FouTight
11-08-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, will this mean we won't have individual IP addresses, making it impossible to play from more than one computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

They will all get internal IP addresses, externally though, they will all be the same unless you purchase multiple IP address from your ISP, if this is possible in your case.