PDA

View Full Version : Help please: connecting to friend's wireless

Fraubump
11-08-2005, 11:24 AM
I go to friend's house. They say they have no encryption or other security on their wireless--anyone can access it.

I turn on my computer and sure enough it detects their wireless. I choose that network from the menu and everything indicates that I am getting a strong signal, but no internet functions work for me. I have windows xp.

The only clue I have is in the "Wireless Network Connection Status" box under the "support tab" it says:

Address Type: Invalid IP Address
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet MAsk: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:

When I click the repair box it tells me that renewing the IP address has failed.

Under the "General" tab it indicates that Bytes are being received, but not sent.

I have googled and reviewed a large number of help pages and all of them indicate that through the steps I have taken I should be connected to the internet.

My laptop works fine on my home wireless.

Any ideas?

Any help greatly appreciated.

--Frau

SjPdX
11-08-2005, 12:23 PM
They may have turned off DHCP and assigned internal IP numbers. You'd have to get the range of IP's that they use and assign one to your network connection.

astroglide
11-08-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They may have turned off DHCP and assigned internal IP numbers. You'd have to get the range of IP's that they use and assign one to your network connection.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is possible. mac filtering is possible too. neither seem likely for somebody that can't be bothered to turn on trivial encryption, though.

11-08-2005, 01:46 PM
I get a similar problem so would be grateful if anyone could help with a solution.

Basically mine just says tha I am connected but have limited access or something like that.

astroglide
11-08-2005, 01:59 PM
if it says you have limited access, you're not getting an ip address from the dhcp server. if you're chaining switches off of each other it probably means you have an uplink problem.

Fraubump
11-09-2005, 03:18 AM
In case anyone else experiences a similar problem, here is what worked for me, though I'm not knowedgeable enough to tell you why it worked. After trying everything obvious and even getting some certified geeks to help me to no avail, an inspiration hit me and I decided to try rebooting the modem and the router. This worked--I suspect it was the modem, but since I used poor scientific method and restarted both simultaneously I'm not positive.