PDA

View Full Version : Glacier NP questions

03-25-2002, 01:58 PM
I have a couple questions for the Montana residents and avid backpackers out there. I am planning a 9 day trip to Glacier National Park for this summer with 3 buddies in the late July/early August time frame. We plan to do 5-6 nights backpacking in the back country. We are all in good to excellent shape and I believe we could do at least 40 miles over those 5-6 nights, depending on the elevation change. Can anyone recommend a good backcountry loop?

Thanks,

Lance

03-25-2002, 03:24 PM
Boulder Pass trail should be exactly what you're looking for. spectacular scenery and greatest chance of being eaten by Griz. IMO a must do trip of GNP back country. Make sure your buddies watch lots of television and eat lots of junk food before you go. but not you. You need to stay in shape.

03-25-2002, 03:37 PM
In 1975 a couple of old college buddies and I did a loop through the Elizabeth Lake area on the east side of Glacier NP. Small town close by is called St Marys or Babbes. The loop went through some high passes and at one point there is a small tunnel that you go through. The views are superb. We saw Dall Sheep and Rocky Mountain Goats.

A word of caution. The Grizzly Bear are a problem and you have to check with the ranger station about your hike and schedule. In some places of the park only a certain number of people or groups are allowed in. The restrictions may be even more strigent than 25 years ago. I would advise calling and getting information from the NPS directly.

You will enjoy the trip no matter where you go. The entire park is a wonder. Have fun.

-Zeno

03-25-2002, 09:25 PM
There's some decent guide books out there, check Amazon. So much depends on what your looking for.

I'm sure Ray will have some good suggestions.

You can't really go wrong. Bring bear spray. Let your buddies carry the bacon.

03-25-2002, 11:10 PM
1. north fork of the flathead from bowman lake- to boulder pass or browns pass to- hole in the wall- and come out at waterton park in canada. shuttle cars.

2. my favorite is gunsite pass. jackson -to gunsite lake- then the pass- then-lake ellen wilson -then sperry chalet and go to the glacier- then out at lake macdonald.

3. saint mary -to ice berg lake-- then back to tarmigan tunnel -down to elizabeth lake -and all the way to the belly river.

the park busses can get you to the drop offs but have your car for when you get out.

keep in touch for some other great ones for day or one nighters. most hikes are really two day ones at most if you hoof it at all.

for nine days id pick three hikes. two longer and one day hike. when it gets closer ill give you the restarant guide for the park.

03-26-2002, 03:39 PM