PDA

View Full Version : IP offer - misleading?

StevieG
11-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Just got a promotional flyer in the mail from IP

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4191/ipoffer49qw.jpg

The tournament is $500 entry with 100% payback. Buying gets 2,000 chips. Room rates for the tournament are $190 total for three nights, Thursday-Sunday.

What is misleading is the name "Poker Pigskin Challenge" and date, January 26-28. That looks like Superbowl weekend, but it is the empty week between the Conference championships and the Suberbowl.

Since this is easy to confirm, it is not really harmful. But it still seems underhanded to me. Thoughts?

There is a $25 "dealer add-on" for 500 more chips. The impication is that this money goes to dealers, but after the "Poker Pigskin Challenge" name, who knows?

tylerdurden
11-08-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since this is easy to confirm, it is not really harmful. But it still seems underhanded to me. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a nit?

prayformojo
11-08-2005, 11:38 AM
How could you possibly care about this as much as you appear to care? If you hadn't seen the misleading nature of this ad, would you have arrived that weekend for a poker tournament and been outraged to realize that all they were providing was a poker tournament, and not a superbowl weekend poker tournament?

Can't you just write angry letters to the editor about how Larry of Crazy Larry's Electronic Warehouse appears by all accounts to be a savvy, well adjusted, and sane businessman and not, as advertised, crazy at all?

pyedog
11-08-2005, 01:42 PM
haha...awesome

lonn19
11-08-2005, 03:19 PM
I don't see the words "Super Bowl" anywhere.

FouTight
11-08-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the words "Super Bowl" anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be because it's a trade mark and not allowed to be used, they would, however, use the term "The Big Game" as every other advertisement does...

I would be concerned about the fact that the ad doesn't seem to mention what type of poker is being played, unless "Pigskin poker" is a new variation i'm unaware of.

11-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Steve,
In response to your inquiry and others. The "Poker Pigskin Challenge" is a no limit Texas Hold 'em tournament held that weekend. It is the week before the Super Bowl and nowhere do we state that it is in conjunction with the Super Bowl. It is merely the theme for the tournament. We felt that people would be fired up during the NFL playoffs and wanted to incorporate football into the tournament.
We have worked very hard to make it one of the most player-friendly tournaments at its buy-in level. Feedback from players that played in our previous tournaments have taught us that players want more chips to start out, longer blind levels, and a slower blind structure.
We are also the only tournament that gives you the option of tipping the dealers. From the feedback at the WSOP (which I participated in as well), I felt much negativity towards the mandatory tipping policy. Obviously, I want to take care of my employees as well. The optional policy does give an out to those who strongly disagree with tipping dealers as part of the tournament buy-in. I realize it does put you at a chip disadvantage to other players, but it offered what I felt was the best and fairest solution.
Please feel free to contact me at poker@imperialpalace.com should you have any further questions regarding this tournament.

11-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Blinden,
The back of the postcard has more detail about the tournament. It is Texas Hold 'em, as that is the only game we offer.

BoogerFace
11-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Please give my regards to Angela, the big six dealer.

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif her.

FouTight
11-08-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blinden,
The back of the postcard has more detail about the tournament. It is Texas Hold 'em, as that is the only game we offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was pretty much a joke because of how ridiculous the whole football thing was, nevermind that...

11-08-2005, 07:57 PM
I don't think her face will light up if I tell her "boogerface" said hi. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

megabit
11-08-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

We have worked very hard to make it one of the most player-friendly tournaments at its buy-in level. Feedback from players that played in our previous tournaments have taught us that players want more chips to start out, longer blind levels, and a slower blind structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how long are the blind levels? (I looked at IP's website but couldn't find the info.) What is the structure like? Finally what is the special room rate?

Thanks,

Mike

BoogerFace
11-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Tell her Matt from Boston says hi.

prk
11-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Anyone know if they're running satellites for this tournament? My brother and me will be in town that week/weekend and are interested in some sat's.

prk
11-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Are you running satellites to get into this event? if so, can you please give me a schedule of when they are running? I'll be in town on the 25th-29th. thanks

pkudela@verizon.net

11-09-2005, 04:59 PM
The last tournament we had, we ran single table satellites as well as super satellites the few days leading up to that event. If we sell the event out in advance (500 or 600 players), we will not be running satellites. I will put the satellite schedule out a few weeks in advance, pending the turnout.
The last tournament had around 465 players enter.

11-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Matt,
I have been told Angela has moved to the "dealertainers" pit and is portraying Madonna.

11-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Mike,
I don't have that information in front of me, but the blind levels will likely be 40 minutes long (as opposed to 30 minutes last time). I would like to start at $25-$25, but that will depend on the projected eliminations (we run the tournament in two flights the first day and need to consolidate the field on the second day because of space restraints).
The room rates for tournament players are $49 during the week and $69 on the weekend for the dates of the event. That is the base rate, not including any comp dollars you may earn which can be used towards your room (all cash game poker players currently earn $3/hour in our room).