PDA

View Full Version : Which Martial Art

11-08-2005, 05:58 AM
When I was younger, I took Tae Kwon Do. As I've gotten older, and become more of Eastern thought and Philosophy, I would like to study a martial art again.

Im 68 about 260. I want an art thats flowing, and that builds agility. I have also taken basic Ninjitsu, but would like more of a striking art.

The most important thing is that I dont want it Americanized, not some fortune cookie crap. So, that having been said, anyone able to offer advice on which art to take?

thanks.

kipin
11-08-2005, 06:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im 68 about 260.

[/ QUOTE ]

6'8" or 68 years old?

jokerthief
11-08-2005, 06:08 AM
If you want a MA that will make you a badass then take jujitsu. But if you want a "flowing" martial art then taichi is what you want even though it won't make you much of a fighter.

Vavavoom
11-08-2005, 06:39 AM
There was a thread on this a little while ago .... let me find the linky....

Which Martial Art ?? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=exchange&Number=3714182&S earchpage=7&Main=3714086&Words=Vavavoom&topic=&Sea rch=true#Post3714182)

11-08-2005, 06:48 AM
sry guys, I honestly didnt think to search for this...

I r teh humbled by OOT's all-encompassing history.

thanks for the link

and Im 6'8" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Reef
11-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Aikido

Mr_J
11-08-2005, 09:12 AM
I've done a few myself and am starting wing chun soon. Plenty of striking and great for all ages.

Ninjutsu is a 'natural' style? Ie uses natural/flowing movement? It is a striking art, it is just well-balanced so covers grappling weapons etc.

Maybe you watched a fake ninjustu class where the guy was really teaching karate? Also, the art is meant to suit YOU, meaning you might specialize in different things catering to your strengths??

11-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Taichi is bullshit. Nobody could win a fight using taichi. It is based on something that is not real. You wanna learn to kick some ass then take Combat Hapkido. It skips the bullshit and goes straight to learning to hurt and disable people. Which is exactly what you want to learn, right? Jujitsu is pretty good too.

Mr_J
11-08-2005, 09:23 AM
"Taichi is bullshit. Nobody could win a fight using taichi. It is based on something that is not real."

You obviously know nothing.

If only we could live 1000 years just to see what sort of power could be obtained.

gabbahh
11-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Kempo or Brasilian Jiu-Jitsu rool. You see a lot of these fighting styles when watching free fighting/ cage fighting.
Be ready for a world of pain though.
Otherwise consider Kung Fu or Pentjak Silat. Pentjak Silat feels a lot like jiu-jitsu, but emphasises a lot on (close to the) ground fights.

KaneKungFu123
11-08-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eastern thought

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean the art of not thinking?

11-08-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Taichi is bullshit. Nobody could win a fight using taichi. It is based on something that is not real."

If only we could live 1000 years just to see what sort of power could be obtained.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is this gibberish? live 1000 years? are you saying you have to live 1000 years to become powerful with Taichi? I'd love to watch someone adept in Taichi go up against any fighter in a no holds barred circuit. They would get crushed. That's why none of the prominant fighters use it. Taichi is so inferior to every other fighting style. I piss on taichi

canis582
11-08-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what is this gibberish? live 1000 years? are you saying you have to live 1000 years to become powerful with Taichi? I'd love to watch someone adept in Taichi go up against any fighter in a no holds barred circuit. They would get crushed. That's why none of the prominant fighters use it. Taichi is so inferior to every other fighting style. I piss on taichi

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet someone whupped your butt with taichi, then stole your gf and pissed on your camero.

Mr_J
11-08-2005, 11:07 AM
No I'm just saying that you get better the longer you practice, and our livespan only shows a fraction of the potential that tai chi has.

"Taichi is so inferior to every other fighting style."

Internal styles are potentially much more powerful than external styles, they just take a long time to develop power.

" That's why none of the prominant fighters use it"

The people that fight in tournies etc just wouldn't be attracted to tai chi. Most people wouldn't have the patience, and wouldn't be interested in tournies by the time they're good.

Course you're not going to listen, but hey, you're prob one of those morons who thinks the fighting in the WWF (or WWE or whatever they call it these days) is real.

diebitter
11-08-2005, 11:10 AM
The one taught by Chiun in 'Remo Williams'. That was awesome.

Was it lesson 37 that was how to bring a woman to ecstacy?

krimson
11-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Kung-fu fits your description pretty well. It's a striking art but very artistic / flowing, and follows eastern philosophy ideals.

11-08-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

" That's why none of the prominant fighters use it"

The people that fight in tournies etc just wouldn't be attracted to tai chi. Most people wouldn't have the patience, and wouldn't be interested in tournies by the time they're good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Id say they don't want to get their asses handed to them in the ring. I wouldn't have patience for constantly getting beat up either

[ QUOTE ]
Course you're not going to listen, but hey, you're prob one of those morons who thinks the fighting in the WWF (or WWE or whatever they call it these days) is real.

[/ QUOTE ]
WWE is completely choreographed. But these wrestlers would crush Taichi pussies. Just because they choreograph the show for TV, doesn't mean they can't fight. I used to work security with some guys who were just starting to make TV appearances on WWE, and they were adept in many fighting styles (jujitsu, kempo, etc., not Tai Chi). Id put them up against any Tai chi fighter you could muster. Moron.

Mr_J
11-08-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kung-fu fits your description pretty well. It's a striking art but very artistic / flowing, and follows eastern philosophy ideals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, is this a joke? You do realize that there are many types of kung fu?

jokerthief
11-08-2005, 11:44 AM
My only martial training is wrestling in high school. I would fight any tai chi practitioner with no fear.

krimson
11-08-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, is this a joke? You do realize that there are many types of kung fu?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do realize, but what's available to him is likely limited, and I was over-generalizing. They're all fairly similar in concept, it's not like the difference between karate and jiu-jitsu.

Mr_J
11-08-2005, 11:53 AM
"and they were adept in many fighting styles"

Never said they couldn't fight. They'd crush anyone without good fight training.

"Moron"

No, you are, for arguing about [censored] you don't understand.

diebitter
11-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Repeat after me:

Wax on
Wax off

jthegreat
11-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Aikido, with the right instructor, sounds perfect for you.

nicky g
11-08-2005, 12:00 PM
If you want to learn how to fight, do boxing or thai boxing, or some kind of competition wrestingling/grappling (Brazilian JJ/Judo/wrestling, probably in that order of preference), or a combination of those (ie one stand up and one ground/grappling). But apparently you don't, so I don't know.

ChicagoTroy
11-08-2005, 12:48 PM
This is entirely dependent on where you live. There are some great ICMA instructors, which would probably be right up your alley, but so many quacks that it's a lot easier to recommend a teacher than a style.

Blarg
11-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Of all the martial arts threads I've seen in OOT, this one ranks really high on percentage of lame ass comments and dumb prejudice.

chessforlife
11-08-2005, 03:19 PM
HAPKIDO!

trust me on this. hapkido is pragmatic, hardcore, violent stuff that will save your life.

by the way. i took tae kwon do for a year. and i now see it as a waste of time... who the hell is gonna successfully do a spinning crescent kick successfully. you'd get clocked in the turn.

swede123
11-08-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of all the martial arts threads I've seen in OOT, this one ranks really high on percentage of lame ass comments and dumb prejudice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for Diebitter's comments, of course. Those were spot-on. Sinanju rocks all other martial arts.

Swede

11-09-2005, 06:31 AM
K Im gonna semi bump this, as I was gone for all this lovely and heartwarming discussion.

As far as ninjitsu, to the guy who disputed my claims that I took it based upon what I told him, all I can remember from the class is alot of trips and grabs, using my opponests weight against him. It could be I had a bad instructor, but there that is.

As far as whether or not I want to fight, absolutely. Not that I think I'll ever need it, but in bars, it seems like every lil guy with a napoleon complex wants to pick a fight with the tall guy, and Im sick of being slow.

Im going to be in/near Austin, TX by Jan. of this upcoming year, and this is when I want to start. I like certain aspects of Tai Chi, being the spiritual side of it all, but I dont want to just do that, because most of the time it seems it's being taught for health.

Kung Fu: haha, I would love to learn a style of Kung Fu, but I think this would be the hardest to find a competant teacher in, because kung fu just sounds cool. Also, I wouldnt know where to start as far as style.

Last but not least, I really am not interested in grappling styles. As a big dude, I prefer to stay on my feet.

Thanks again for the good advice so far, and what I hope will be more. And DieBitter... great advice... Ive been "waxing the car" for hours now.

..that sounded wrong /images/graemlins/blush.gif

diebitter
11-09-2005, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for Diebitter's comments, of course. Those were spot-on. Sinanju rocks all other martial arts.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

That was it! I kept thinking 'Shin-Chan' - but I knew that was the kid who jiggles his ass about.

jaydub
11-09-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
K Im gonna semi bump this, as I was gone for all this lovely and heartwarming discussion.

As far as ninjitsu, to the guy who disputed my claims that I took it based upon what I told him, all I can remember from the class is alot of trips and grabs, using my opponests weight against him. It could be I had a bad instructor, but there that is.

As far as whether or not I want to fight, absolutely. Not that I think I'll ever need it, but in bars, it seems like every lil guy with a napoleon complex wants to pick a fight with the tall guy, and Im sick of being slow.

Im going to be in/near Austin, TX by Jan. of this upcoming year, and this is when I want to start. I like certain aspects of Tai Chi, being the spiritual side of it all, but I dont want to just do that, because most of the time it seems it's being taught for health.

Kung Fu: haha, I would love to learn a style of Kung Fu, but I think this would be the hardest to find a competant teacher in, because kung fu just sounds cool. Also, I wouldnt know where to start as far as style.

Last but not least, I really am not interested in grappling styles. As a big dude, I prefer to stay on my feet.

Thanks again for the good advice so far, and what I hope will be more. And DieBitter... great advice... Ive been "waxing the car" for hours now.

..that sounded wrong /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

muay thai will be a good place to start. the practicality of it for your situation is indisputable, the focus is on strikes with fists, elbows, knees, and feet with much training being done in close quarters with a thai clinch. as a tall guy, you can deliver knee strikes significantly easier than most so if you learn this skill, you should be able to quickly stop aggressors while making their buddies reconsider the course of action.

jujitsu is a great skill and would be useful but not for you as a first technique. pulling someone into your guard in a bar fight is not wise.

oh and please don't be that tool who learns a little bit and then goes looking for bar fights.

11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
I dont ever look for fights... all my life as a tall guy little guys have come up to me.

I have one thing to say to all the short poeple: I can take jokes about being tall, and do, with a laugh. WHY CANT YOU TAKE SHORT JOKES!!

as an aside, I just made a friend who is an instructor of the filipino arts, jeet kune do and jun fan gung fu as a second generation Lee student.

He will be teaching me these arts, in a mixed way, and he also wants to set me up with an instructor in the Tiger-Craane mixed style to see if I like that.

I will be taking pakua after my body is sufficiently tuned so that I actually gain from the internal study.

Thanks again for all the advice!

also, does anyone here use kettlebells? I've looked them up and they look extremely interesting.

nicky g
11-09-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ast but not least, I really am not interested in grappling styles. As a big dude, I prefer to stay on my feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some problems here. As a big guy, a lot of people will (if you ever get into a fight) not want to keep you on your feet. Regardless, a lot of fights end up on the ground anyway (there is endless debate about how much, but it seems to be a large proportion), regardless of whether either participant wants it too. Finally, grappling styles to varying ddegrees (I agree you don't want to concentrate on a style that focuses purely on the ground) will be the best thing to teach you how to stay on your feet/keep your balance - Judo especially so.

My main advice if you're keen to learn how to fight would be not to do anything that doesn't involve at least some sparring.

11-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Yeah, the guy that I met teaches some grappling within his teachings of some Filipino arts, and he says they do class sparring once a week, so both problems covered.

Also, for students that want to try, he teaches what he called drunken monkey, which he says is a mix of a monkey kung fu style and drunken boxing... alot of weaving, but he says practical because it involves a lowered center of gravity.

He might be pullin my leg on that last bit, but I checked him out otherwise, all reviews of the school are good. He does it as a hobby, not to make money, and so there are no contract commitments, and he's happy to find other instructors/styles for his students.

jaydub
11-09-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ast but not least, I really am not interested in grappling styles. As a big dude, I prefer to stay on my feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some problems here. As a big guy, a lot of people will (if you ever get into a fight) not want to keep you on your feet. Regardless, a lot of fights end up on the ground anyway (there is endless debate about how much, but it seems to be a large proportion), regardless of whether either participant wants it too. Finally, grappling styles to varying ddegrees (I agree you don't want to concentrate on a style that focuses purely on the ground) will be the best thing to teach you how to stay on your feet/keep your balance - Judo especially so.

My main advice if you're keen to learn how to fight would be not to do anything that doesn't involve at least some sparring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would favor a brazilian jujitsu type grappling over judo as a second skill because it will better allow you to regain position if someone does take you down as well as teach you to avoid various submissions. With the prevalence of mma on tv, a lot more people will being trying arm bars and such. If you cannot take a bjj type skill due to no offerings in your area, basic college style wrestling training can be invaluable in grappling. Though the lack of submission awareness makes it inferior to a good jujitsu.

nicky g
11-09-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would favor a brazilian jujitsu type grappling over judo as a second skill because it will better allow you to regain position if someone does take you down as well as teach you to avoid various submissions. With the prevalence of mma on tv, a lot more people will being trying arm bars and such. If you cannot take a bjj type skill due to no offerings in your area, basic college style wrestling training can be invaluable in grappling. Though the lack of submission awareness makes it inferior to a good jujitsu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, although I think judo is probably the best way to learn how to put other people on the ground without ending up there yourself. Once you're down there, jj is probably more useful.

jaydub
11-09-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, although I think judo is probably the best way to learn how to put other people on the ground without ending up there yourself. Once you're down there, jj is probably more useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP wants to keep things off the ground, why would want to learn throws?

krimson
11-09-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In this case, I think 1000 years of taichi training is the correct answer. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Muay Thai is probably optimal for bar/street fight scenarios, however it's not an asian based / flowing martial art like your looking for. Grappling isn't that useful in a bar fight, because you are vulnerable when on the ground to a 3rd party joining the fight. Also stuff like Karate / Kung Fu / Tae Kwon Do type striking arts are pretty useless for a real fight, other than just developing your striking abilities and reflexes.

Muay Thai is good for bar fights, because it is a stand-up striking style, and has a big focus on clenching / dirty boxing, which is where Karate / Tae Kwon Do kind of fall apart. If you're a big guy, you'll be hard to take down so you'll be in a clench a lot if people try.

68Mustang
11-09-2005, 01:43 PM
BJJ

Blarg
11-09-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont ever look for fights... all my life as a tall guy little guys have come up to me.

I have one thing to say to all the short poeple: I can take jokes about being tall, and do, with a laugh. WHY CANT YOU TAKE SHORT JOKES!!

as an aside, I just made a friend who is an instructor of the filipino arts, jeet kune do and jun fan gung fu as a second generation Lee student.

He will be teaching me these arts, in a mixed way, and he also wants to set me up with an instructor in the Tiger-Craane mixed style to see if I like that.

I will be taking pakua after my body is sufficiently tuned so that I actually gain from the internal study.

Thanks again for all the advice!

also, does anyone here use kettlebells? I've looked them up and they look extremely interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you got hooked up with a good guy there. What's his name? I might have heard of him.

You might want to PM AZK on kettlebells. He's getting started in them himself right now. Also check out www.dragondoor.com. (http://www.dragondoor.com.) They have great forums with very experienced kettlebell instructors and students. And they all tend to do lots of other stuff too, so even though the place is basically kettlebells central in the U.S., there's plenty of endorsement of lots of other ways of keeping in shape besides kettlebells too, as well as talk of how to integrate kettlebells into various types of exercise programs. I think they're particularly good for martial arts because they're so often used ballistically, that is, i explosive movements. And also because they require careful balance as you work with them.

Oh, since you're into martial arts too, you should check out www.fullkontact.com (http://www.fullkontact.com) (yes, with a K, as in Knock Out). That's Steve Cotter's site, and he's a leading kettlebell trainer who is also a long-time internal martial artist. The guy is no lightweight though; he's really built and well known for being super strong. I have his first two DVD's, which show great ways of integrating KB's into martial arts work. Tons of work on balance in motion. There are little mini-videos on his site showing some of what's in his video's. Check out the dragon walks and the towel swinging. Some seriously athletic stuff there. Also some demonstratin of a KB exercise to help with the bagua walking, too. He explains in his DVD's how certain motions with kettlebells mimic balance and movement problems in martial arts, and make you stronger in those movements. Very much worth the money. That guy will show you that internal martial artists don't have to be weak, that's for sure.

He's a really sharp guy and excellent writer, too. His posts on dragondoor and his newsletter are always really well done and high quality.

11-09-2005, 05:04 PM
His name is Craig "Bubba" Norton, and he is apprenticed under Master Inosanto. I will be buying those dvds and kettlebells as my xmas gift to me... I think I will be gaining enough till then just from the art itself.

Blarg
11-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Cool, I think you'll probably like them. Lifting weights bores the daylights out of me, but kettlebells feel more like a skill and manage to keep me entertained while doing them, which helps me keep doing them. Swinging KB's around is kinda cool and just a little bit scary, and very challenging.

NateDog
11-09-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BJJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been training in BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) for the past 4 years. It will get you into shape, you will learn how to defend yourself, and if you have a competitive streak it's [censored] tits. Think of it as kinetic chess. Once you learn how each piece moves, you can start thinking about counters/set-ups/finishes. I love it.

Depending on which part of the country you are in, you should be able to locate a reputable school in any major city. Check out mma.tv (http://www.mma.tv/tuf) for school locators. The BJJ forum will happily help you find a school nearby (Muay Thai schools too).

Good luck

Nate

11-09-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Repeat after me:

Wax on
Wax off

[/ QUOTE ]

Miyagi say, what so funny?

Martin
11-10-2005, 02:51 AM
Also do a search for Mike Mahler he has some good kettlebell stuff.

Enjoy the MA training it sounds like you have picked a good instructor. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lastsamurai
11-10-2005, 05:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im 68 about 260. I want an art thats flowing, and that builds agility. I have also taken basic Ninjitsu, but would like more of a striking art.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0800135075.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

nicky g
11-10-2005, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OP wants to keep things off the ground, why would want to learn throws?

[/ QUOTE ]

I understood he wanted to stay off the ground. Doing that while having your opponent on the ground is a pretty advantageous position. Judo can teach you how to do that.

Regardless if you want to keep things off the ground you need to have at least some idea of how to keep your balance when someone else tries to knock you over.

diebitter
11-10-2005, 08:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Repeat after me:

Wax on
Wax off

[/ QUOTE ]

Miyagi say, what so funny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it true you learnt all your fighting skills from the Fonz when you worked at Arnolds?

11-10-2005, 10:38 AM
hey, if you dont wanna wax on, and wax off.......

you can sit on it.

eyyyyyyyy!

diebitter
11-10-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hey, if you dont wanna wax on, and wax off.......

you can sit on it.

eyyyyyyyy!

[/ QUOTE ]

And when I have to unwrap Thunder and Lightning, does any martial art beat the Fonz?

No you say?

Correct-a-mundo!