PDA

View Full Version : K6o BB def against the semi maniac

thesharpie
11-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Same guy from my other post. He's not a true maniac though, he won't raise everytime, he's still been raising alot preflop and taking alot of stabs at flops though. He called down with A4 high against a flop check/raise on a paired board HU. We got heads up once since the last hand and he checked down ten high in position against me on an AKx board so I think he thinks I'm a calling station after making that king high calldown, I also think he'll showdown ace high often but then again he might raise it. How do I react to a turn raise? Should I be playing it meeker? Check/call the river?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (6.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???

adsman
11-08-2005, 05:29 AM
Since he has a tendancy to check his crap hands behind on the river, I would bet those little sixes for value.

thesharpie
11-08-2005, 05:30 AM
You calling a raise?

adsman
11-08-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You calling a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever seen him bluff-raise the river?

thesharpie
11-08-2005, 05:38 AM
Not yet, although I wouldn't put it past him after seeing what he did with QTo. I probably had 24 hands on him by now.

adsman
11-08-2005, 05:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not yet, although I wouldn't put it past him after seeing what he did with QTo. I probably had 24 hands on him by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I would call the raise specifically to find out if he's raising light or not.

thesharpie
11-10-2005, 06:19 AM
I bet the river and he called with A2, a pair of deuces. I'm thinking the river might be a mistake though if I have to call a raise, against a random hand we're not even 53% to be best on the river and we're risking 2 to win 1.

I'm thinking either check/call or bet/fold the river now.

Koss
11-10-2005, 10:29 AM
When playing against maniacs you almost always have to pay them off with any pair, especially early on when they seem to be going off the hook with anything. Getting a solid read on what they are up to is worth the BB here. This advice is from someone who just played 100 hands, mostly 3 way, some heads up, against a 75/30/3. I dropped about 40BB's early on, but once I was catching cards and knew what he was up to, I ended up getting it back + 20.

Redd
11-10-2005, 10:55 AM
I'd value-bet the river, but I'd also fold preflop and wait until my hand isn't so damn dominated to push an edge against this guy. We really want a hand that we can play aggressively with so he can beat his brains out against us, and barring an unlikely KKK/A66ish we're not really getting a flop like that here.

Koss
11-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Against a total maniac I'd agree with that, but anyone who can play the style relatively well is going to run you over when you have nothing, make you hate your marginal hands, and not pay you off when you have a monster. If you let him run you over by folding average hands then you are playing right into his stlye. I'd get in there and gamble with all but extremely ragged hands trying to catch some pair to try and get paid. Even here K6o is borderline, and if I knew I could get tons of action on my bigger hands I'd dump it, but I think the preflop decision here is pretty close, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you wait around to flop trips or other big hands before getting aggressive against a maniac then he is going to eat you alive.