PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Etiquette - Taking Too Much Time

jace
06-19-2003, 02:36 PM
This happened to me a while ago and I was wondering if you guys thought my opponent was smart or being an ass. It's almost at the end of the 3rd round of a NL tourney at Lucky Chances. One rebuy is permitted in rounds 1-3, and if you bust out before the third round, you're out of the tournament and can't add-on. However, if you bust out during the last hand of the 3rd round, you can still add-on.

I forgot what the blinds were, but it's folded to the button who limps. He's a good player who I talk with quite a bit in the cardroom. He's severely shortstacked and already had his rebuy. SB folds and I have 99 in the BB. I have an above average stack and raise all-in. There are about 3-4 minutes left in the 3rd round. He thinks for a long time and asks if he can add-on if he busts out with no time left in the round. The dealer answers yes. Then he basically stalls until there are about 10 seconds left and calls my all-in bet. He has 9s10s and makes a spade flush on the river.

The loss doesn't really cripple my stack, but I was really upset by his tactics. Do you guys think what he did was fair? Should I have complained to the dealer or a floorman? Given my reputation at the table and his own playing abilities, I'm sure he would have mucked if there was 10 minutes left in the round. I completely understand what was going through his mind, and I'm not posting this because I lost the hand. I just didn't appreciate his stalling to ensure that he could still add-on if he lost the hand.

ohkanada
06-19-2003, 03:00 PM
If the guy is taking too long to decide you can ask the dealer/floor to put him on a clock. If they agree then he only has a minute or so to make a decision. I would think since he is intentionally stalling the floor should agree with you.

Ken Poklitar

Greg (FossilMan)
06-19-2003, 05:24 PM
As soon as you see what he's doing, ask the dealer to put a clock on him. Typically, he then gets 1 minute to make a decision.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Jimbo
06-19-2003, 05:39 PM
I had to read this post twice before I realized this was simply a Bad Beat story in disguise. Very tricky! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif