PDA

View Full Version : $5.50 Poker Stars First Hand Push

11-08-2005, 02:23 AM
I just put $100 on Poker Stars to get a feel for their SNGs. Sometimes I like to just drop some money onto a new site and see how much I can build up in the lower level games. Keeps my game rounded I guess. Anyway, that's the background...

The very first hand of a $5.50 9man and I'm on the button with pocket 10s.

UTG+1 moves all in and it folds around to me.

What do you do? I thought this was an interesting situation because I don't have a feel AT ALL for the players at those levels on Poker Stars but I figured they are probably a little nuts.

Thoughts? Thanks.

bluef0x
11-08-2005, 02:25 AM
You have to give more information bro, some cases I can see a fold, some I call. All depends on the situation. Post the hand and more reads

pokerlaw
11-08-2005, 02:50 AM
I fold here, yeah you might be ahead, but its not worth it. I call QQ-AA here.

11-08-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to give more information bro, some cases I can see a fold, some I call. All depends on the situation. Post the hand and more reads

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just it. It's the first hand of the tournament. There are no reads. He pushed all in UTG+1 and it folded around to me, holding 1010.

What's your play?

So far there's one vote for fold. A very reasonable vote.

bluef0x
11-08-2005, 02:58 AM
missed that, I definately fold.

rbear
11-08-2005, 03:03 AM
ridiculously easy fold, any site, any buy in

Nick M
11-08-2005, 03:18 AM
I fold QQ here too...even on this level...and I think especially on this level because I feel I will have a lot better spot later on. This is the first hand of the SNG. If this was the 27s I might call, but I doubt it.

bluef0x
11-08-2005, 03:22 AM
Why would you fold QQ here in the 27s and not $5.50's? I think you get a lot more CRAP (Ax, Kx, any pp) being pushed in the lower buyins than the high.

Nick M
11-08-2005, 03:24 AM
I fold QQ at the 5.50 for the exact reason you just said...people play crap and I will most likely have a better spot than the first hand with no reads, and a measily pair of queens. At the 27s my edge might not be as great. There's still wackos at the 27s, but less. So I might take the chance there, but like I said, I doubt it.

rbear
11-08-2005, 03:26 AM
I insta call QQ+. Insta fold anything worse.

bluef0x
11-08-2005, 03:27 AM
Well I don't play on stars but I've seen donks go in on the first hand with offsuit connectors several times in the $11s, in the $22's I don't think I have. You run into scared players with AA/KK/AK more often I think in $22s

11-08-2005, 05:33 AM
Fold.

I fold JJ and possibly QQ.

bawcerelli
11-08-2005, 07:44 AM
i'd call, and if i win against his AK, i'd go all in every hand till i won the whole damn thing.

11-08-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd call, and if i win against his AK, i'd go all in every hand till i won the whole damn thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

95% of the time, I fold too. But to be honest, this time, curiousity got the best of me. I had to see what the idiot was moving all in with to get the t15 in blinds.

As bawcerelli says, he had AK. My tens held up too. I wouldn't have felt all that bad if I lost because I it's fun to abuse the $5s with a bigger stack early.

Overall though, I'm with you guys. Folding is probably best because I know I'll get a chance to move in with a much bigger edge.

Thanks for the thoughts.

11-08-2005, 11:28 AM
I wonder: is there any holding where it is right to push from UTG on the first hand of a SNG? I think it is overwhelmingly likely that the player is just fooling around.

Still, if he's pushing any two, how much of a favorite do you need to be to make a call good?

HesseJam
11-08-2005, 11:36 AM
I once got two calls on my AA UTG push at a 10+1.

At higher buy ins I wouldn't do this.

Melchiades
11-08-2005, 11:54 AM
It wouldn't be too wrong to always push AA UTG if early in a 5 + 0.5. People always think you are bluffing, and will look you up with most pairs and AJ+. At higher buyins it would be a horrible way to play the hand obviously.

grayhawk
11-08-2005, 02:04 PM
I just posted the almost exact same scenario here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3889312&an=0&page=0#Post 3889312) and after reading this thread, I'm glad to see that I made what most people think is the correct decision.

The funny thing is, just two hands later, in almost the same scenario, the same guy open raised all-in for 870 from UTG+2. I had Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif in MP2 and called. He turns over A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, gets a 5 on the flop and sucked out with an A on the river for Aces up. Would anyone have folded that?

pooh74
11-08-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just posted the almost exact same scenario here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3889312&an=0&page=0#Post 3889312) and after reading this thread, I'm glad to see that I made what most people think is the correct decision.

The funny thing is, just two hands later, in almost the same scenario, the same guy open raised all-in for 870 from UTG+2. I had Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif in MP2 and called. He turns over A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, gets a 5 on the flop and sucked out with an A on the river for Aces up. Would anyone have folded that?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, especially after having seen him do it before...

11-08-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder: is there any holding where it is right to push from UTG on the first hand of a SNG? I think it is overwhelmingly likely that the player is just fooling around.

Still, if he's pushing any two, how much of a favorite do you need to be to make a call good?

[/ QUOTE ]

In HOH vol. 1, Harrington actually breaks down an all-in with QQ in the first level of blinds (5/10) and shows that it has a negative expectation of something like t45, or three times the size of the current pot.

Very interesting indeed. I imagine it's only slightly better for KK.

11-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Insta-push. The buy-in is so low, it is like one hand of a home cash game. Top 30% holdings will call just to roll the dice.