PDA

View Full Version : I suck at speeches. Help!

handsome
11-08-2005, 02:22 AM
So I have a 7-8 minute long presentation tomorrow on an economist by the name of John Galbraith. I pretty much have all the notes I need, but my delivery sucks. I get nervous, my voice starts trembling, and my mind often goes blank while I'm speaking. Yea, it's pretty bad.

Any advice/encouragement would be appreciated.

PoBoy321
11-08-2005, 02:23 AM
Pretend you're Bill Pullman and you're about to save the world from aliens.

Claunchy
11-08-2005, 02:24 AM
A couple whiskeys and a Vicodin oughta do the trick nicely.

11-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Allow yourself to be animated. This both hides nervous twitches and allows you to stay calm. You also should work some levity into it... this will loosen you the hell up... which is the goal.

GL!

Bradyams
11-08-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A couple whiskeys and a Vicodin oughta do the trick nicely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually a beer or two (depending on your alcohol tolerance) should help out, and not hurt anything.

11-08-2005, 02:28 AM
Definitely will help... just dont forget yourself and stumble into class after downing a 6 or two.

diebitter
11-08-2005, 02:28 AM
Practice to yourself, and then to one person.

This not only helps delivery, but timing.

forget reading from notes, move to cue cards that have big friendly words on that remind you of each bit, and just talk freely, and when you are done, go to next cue word.

IHateKeithSmart
11-08-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Practice to yourself, and then to one person.

This not only helps delivery, but timing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. I typically practice a few times in front of the mirror (or cats/dog if they are around). The dog usually looks a little uncomfortable after a few minutes.

IggyWH
11-08-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I have a 7-8 minute long presentation tomorrow on an economist by the name of John Galbraith. I pretty much have all the notes I need, but my delivery sucks. I get nervous, my voice starts trembling, and my mind often goes blank while I'm speaking. Yea, it's pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have to sit around before your speech, don't think about your speech. Just sit around and enjoy what's going on around you (other people giving speeches, prof talking, whatever).

When it's your time to do your speech, take a couple deep breathes. Breathe deep into your diaphragm, hold for a second and then let it out. Clear your mind, look out into the audience, smile and go at it.

gamblore99
11-08-2005, 04:06 AM
I used to be really bad at presentations but have come along way these past few years. Some things I find very important.

1. know material very well
2. for notes/cue cards, make them as simple as possible and very easy to read. The idea is they CUE recall, not actually have the information. Since you have practiced the speech alot, the speech will come naturally and nicely.
3. For me (not sure if this applies to everyone), speak as slow as possible (I usually speak very fast).
4. If you use a powerpoint presentation, or overheads, keep as little on these as possible. It gets really confusing for the audience trying to read all of your display, and hear what you are saying at the same time.

Hope that was helpful. Good luck

diebitter
11-08-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to be really bad at presentations but have come along way these past few years. Some things I find very important.

2. for notes/cue cards, make them as simple as possible and very easy to read. The idea is they CUE recall, not actually have the information. Since you have practiced the speech alot, the speech will come naturally and nicely.
3. For me (not sure if this applies to everyone), speak as slow as possible (I usually speak very fast).
4. If you use a powerpoint presentation, or overheads, keep as little on these as possible. It gets really confusing for the audience trying to read all of your display, and hear what you are saying at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd add on this

a. if your powerpoint stuff is bullet points, these become your cue cards!
b. If you hesitate, do not say 'ummmm!', say nothing. Pausing is fine.

11-08-2005, 04:51 AM
I don't think most of these other poster's understand your problem. You probably have a mild anxiety disorder, wether it be social or other. Try getting a hold of some xanax or valium before your speech and you should do fine. Same as alcohol really, but better at calming down your nervous system.

diebitter
11-08-2005, 05:07 AM
Being nervous at public speaking is not a disorder. Everyone inexperienced in this will be very nervous about it - if they aren't, then it is they, not our boy here, that have the defect.

11-08-2005, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Being nervous at public speaking is not a disorder. Everyone inexperienced in this will be very nervous about it - if they aren't, then it is they, not our boy here, that have the defect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand public speeking can be a problem for those who are inexperienced and what not. I am saying at his age this is probably an anxiety issue. I am assuming this is a college speech. This means he has gone through tons of speeches in high school and junior high all the way since show and tell. In college, it sometimes gets extra tough and if you start blanking out in the middle of speeches and losing your breath like he is, it is a probably a mild form of social anxiety disorder which usually starts around college for most people who get it and have physical symptoms such as the ones he mentioned.

And just to be safe, go see a psychiatrist for one session and he will be able to determine a good estimate on if you need some form of benzo for things such as speeches.

Popinjay
11-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Just vividly imagine yourself speaking super great many times over.

Arnfinn Madsen
11-08-2005, 08:03 AM
-First, of all, remember that if you are insecure/uncomfortable about this situtation, you are likely to put too high expectations on yourself. This means that the practice that you felt did not go good, still can be good.

-Second, spectators don't prefer to listen to a superslick, supertrained presentator. They prefer to listen to a normal human being, and will also believe much more of his message. What classifies a normal human being? He can look a bit nervous in front of crowds, he sometimes forgets what he was going to say etc..

BUT,
there is a few things you have to remember not doing even if you get nervous since it will annoy the spectators:
-don't reduce the volume of speech or look in another direction when you speak. Put the words clear into the open, don't try to just let them pass by.
-don't twist a pen or any other kind of irrelevant activity to battle the nerves as the spectators will focus 80% on this and 20% on your message.

So, basically, stand straight up facing the crowd and perform your presentation to the best of your ability. Don't be ashamed of your nervousness as 90% of the spectators know they would be nervous too, the 10% that don't get nervous realise they are exceptional, so NOBODY is going to think you are a fool.

Arnfinn Madsen
11-08-2005, 08:15 AM
And I have to add, don't drink anything before or take any calming medicines etc.. It will only lead you to establish a pattern which will be unsustainable in many situations you will face later.

RustedCorpse
11-08-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd add on this

a. if your powerpoint stuff is bullet points, these become your cue cards!
b. If you hesitate, do not say 'ummmm!', say nothing. Pausing is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much ABC as to what I've been told in my public speaking class (which is amazing because I couldn't talk to a crowd (without yelling) either before this class)

To add

a) If animation is inappropriate stand with feet should length apart and relaxed knees.

b) If you make a mistake DO NOT say "sorry" or "I screwed up". Pause. Find your place (even if re reading a section) and resume. Apparently it lowers your authority as the speaker and highlights the error in memory.

c) Practice it outloud 2-3 times the day before.

d)Previous post about breathing is the most important. Half breaths at comma's full breaths at periods. You CANNOT read too slowly so don't rush at all no matter how slow you're reading it's faster than you think.

e) Tell yourself that messing up doesn't matter, in a month no one will care if you screwed up.

handsome
11-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Hey, thanks guys. I had an in-class rehearsal today. Nervousness was not very big of a problem, but my professor/classmates say I need to work on not being monotone and avoiding "umm's" - practice will plug those leaks.

otis_nixon
11-08-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man that's exactly what happens to me. Have fun

11-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Maybe a little late but, the best single piece of advice I ever got...

Your audience wants to be informed and/or entertained.
No one in your audience wants to be in your shoes. They want you to do well.
"Speak" to them. Don't "Speech" at them.

gl

JcTc
11-08-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand public speeking can be a problem for those who are inexperienced and what not. I am saying at his age this is probably an anxiety issue. I am assuming this is a college speech. This means he has gone through tons of speeches in high school and junior high all the way since show and tell. In college, it sometimes gets extra tough and if you start blanking out in the middle of speeches and losing your breath like he is, it is a probably a mild form of social anxiety disorder which usually starts around college for most people who get it and have physical symptoms such as the ones he mentioned.

And just to be safe, go see a psychiatrist for one session and he will be able to determine a good estimate on if you need some form of benzo for things such as speeches.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? So if a normally sociable person gets really nervous during a speech, they have SAD? And need to go to a psychiatrist? I am outgoing and talkative outside of class, but when I have to give a speech, I get very nervous. Sometimes my hands even shake when I am looking at my notecards. Do I need drugs?

11-08-2005, 05:30 PM
One thing i do s i stare down people in the audience. it washes away nervousness when you stare someone down.

11-08-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, thanks guys. I had an in-class rehearsal today. Nervousness was not very big of a problem, but my professor/classmates say I need to work on not being monotone and avoiding "umm's" - practice will plug those leaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should do fine. GL

11-08-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing i do s i stare down people in the audience. it washes away nervousness when you stare someone down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever hear the adage where if you can't look your interviewer in the eye the whole interview for a job, you won't get it? It's pretty damn tough to do. Especially if it is a threatening looking person or a pretty laaaadddaaay.

wonderwes
11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
The best way is to give your entire speech looking at a mirror. You will see how you look/present yourself.

People always think making a speech is too hard. It really isn't. Try to give a through report except try giving the report as if you were talking to one person. You don't have to be word for word like an essay. You've seen enough sportscenter in your time. Talk about the subject as if you were on camera giving an interview.

The mirror does help.

Hamish McBagpipe
11-08-2005, 09:11 PM
I used to be extremely nervous speaking in front of crowds. Deathly so. The beer or shot of whisky does actually help. Knowing your stuff inside and out helps more.

If there is an opportunity for questions or feedback from the audience of any kind my tip is to make sure you have that audience stacked. Works great, makes you look brilliant, even if you go to far and it looks staged. Will definitely get you relaxed up there. "Hmmm, that's an interesting question. Perhaps this pie graph with accompanying statistical analysis will shed light on your query."

I actually had a seminar class where there were 6 of us and you'd get marks on how you handled the questions and the rest would get some marks for asking good questions. Total stack situation. We'd get together, the one giving the seminar would give the other's the questions and be massively prepared for them. Easy money. "I'm glad you asked that, this handout summarizes the six major reasons why Galbraith supports this theory."

RustedCorpse
11-09-2005, 09:44 PM
What was taught to me was break the audience in three groups and basically you rotate from group to group looking.

ChipWrecked
11-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Imagine yourself standing there in your underwear.

No, wait, that's not right, it's the other way...

AceHigh
11-10-2005, 01:42 AM
Tell a joke at the beginning, that always worked for me.

Jokes (http://www.comedycentral.com/jokes/index.jhtml)

11-10-2005, 02:45 AM
How did the speech go?

handsome
11-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Damn. Just got back from class. For some reason I was slightly more nervous. I did significantly better with the "umm's" and got rid of the monotonocity, but my quivering voice came back to a small degree. I also experienced some incoherence due to lack of sleep, but it's all good. I got a B. For someone who doesn't care much about grades, that's pretty darn g00t.

And my quest to conquer public speaking continues..