PDA

View Full Version : Best Singer Songwriter indifferent genres

11-08-2005, 02:11 AM
Okay guys, this isnt a poll because Im not nearly knowledgable about music. As a matter of fact, Im only going to nominate in one genre: Metal Rock.

James Maynard Keenan.

I want to hear some of the greats in this category, as well as any more you would like to bring up.

I have the bad habit of listening to what's popular in certain genres, and would like to hear some of the "greats".

PoBoy321
11-08-2005, 02:14 AM
In the American Folk genre, Dave Van Ronk is hugely underrated.

Claunchy
11-08-2005, 02:15 AM
Am I crazy, or isn't it Maynard James Keenan?

11-08-2005, 02:20 AM
HAHA, you may absolutely be right, my friend used to call him that, but he was a stoner.

I refuse to be embarassed about it though... haha.

EDIT: yup. been saying it wrong for years.

brb, gotta go kick a stoner's ass.

ReDeYES88
11-08-2005, 02:39 AM
across all categories. .
dylan
christopherson
parton (yes, her)
lennon/mccartney
garcia/hunter (i know, stretching the "singer/songwriter" thingy)
Jimi
Willie
Woody
Lou Reed
Johnny Cash Money
Marley
. .. to name a few

diebitter
11-08-2005, 02:41 AM
Chuck Berry
Pete Townshend
Paul Weller

college_boy
11-08-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chuck Berry

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

11-08-2005, 02:51 AM
Okay, I know Im above the average age here, is anyone going to post about people who haven't been making music since god was a baby?

Growing up in the family I did, I heard alot of these guys, and now I realize why I liked em.

Im going to show my ignorance, and put up some more names.

Clapton? (Not as inventive as Jimi, but made "simple" as complex as possible.

Morrison

Joey Ramone... near the best punk has.
Billy Joe.... after American Idiot, cant see argument against this for punk
Chris Cornell.
Freddy Mercury
Ozzy (come on!)
Hetfield

11-08-2005, 03:23 AM
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth).

matt hooley
11-08-2005, 03:43 AM
listen to Ani DiFranco, she is the greatest folk singer I've ever heard.

11-08-2005, 03:50 AM
Eddie Vedder

Pearl Jam rocks

11-08-2005, 04:53 AM
I would say Slayer for their genre. Hanneman,King and Araya

jokerthief
11-08-2005, 04:56 AM
The 60's and 70's is a tie between John Lennon and Bob Dylan. The 80's is Axel Rose. The 90's to today is Dave Matthews.

Boris
11-08-2005, 04:58 AM
For metal rock I'm gonna nominate Dave Mustaine.

11-08-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Over Hetfield? Im gonna have to call foul on that... talk about timeless lyrics.

Voicewise too.

Although I agree that Mustaine was amazing as well.

...Dave friggin Matthews? If his voice didnt sound like he got kicked in the junk maybe... but ever since I left yuppiesvill high wherein every damn preppy chick loved him, I cant stand it.

Perhaps I am misinformed though... any songs that are a little harder or less lilting and wussy?

I'd like to like him.

MyTurn2Raise
11-08-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
listen to Ani DiFranco, she is the greatest folk singer I've ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

I also dig Ryan Adams

astroglide
11-08-2005, 12:54 PM
incase this factored into your award, afaik MJK doesn't write for a perfect circle - he's just a vocalist

turnipmonster
11-08-2005, 12:58 PM
joni mitchell - is there a better record than blue?

SL__72
11-08-2005, 01:00 PM
I don't think he qualifies at all... I don't think he "writes" any of the music for Tool either, other then maybe the lyrics. From the few interviews I've read/heard its more of a collaborative process with them.

Ryan Adams is a great nomination.

I would also nominate Jim James from My Morning Jacket, easily one of my favorites.
Willie Nelson?
Waylon Jennings?
I'm not too sure what % of their music each wrote, but even if it was only 50% I would consider both of them along with the already mentioned Johnny Cash.

imported_The Vibesman
11-08-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Over Hetfield? Im gonna have to call foul on that... talk about timeless lyrics.

Voicewise too.

Although I agree that Mustaine was amazing as well.

...Dave friggin Matthews? If his voice didnt sound like he got kicked in the junk maybe... but ever since I left yuppiesvill high wherein every damn preppy chick loved him, I cant stand it.

Perhaps I am misinformed though... any songs that are a little harder or less lilting and wussy?

I'd like to like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll actually second the nomination of Mustaine over Hetfield. My favorite Metallica songs are on Kill Em All and they are co-written by Dave Mustaine. I like his voice better too. Matter of taste though. The Metallica vs. Megadeath debate was huge when I was young.

I agree with you assessment of Matthews, though. I can't figure out what people like about him.

sfer
11-08-2005, 01:04 PM
http://www.ultrasonica.esquinalatina.com/Articulos2004/joe%20strummer.jpg

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-08-2005, 01:12 PM
You fools have all overlooked the two best of the last 15 years:

Billy Corgan
and
Thom Yorke

I can understand someone not liking either one of them for their voice, but their songwriting abilities are matched by very very few.

FouTight
11-08-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he qualifies at all... I don't think he "writes" any of the music for Tool either, other then maybe the lyrics. From the few interviews I've read/heard its more of a collaborative process with them.

Ryan Adams is a great nomination.

I would also nominate Jim James from My Morning Jacket, easily one of my favorites.
Willie Nelson?
Waylon Jennings?
I'm not too sure what % of their music each wrote, but even if it was only 50% I would consider both of them along with the already mentioned Johnny Cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to point this out as well...

What genre was Wesly Willis?

jesusarenque
11-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Hank Williams

IndieMatty
11-08-2005, 01:24 PM
I hold in high regard the following:

Yorke
Keenan
Tweedy
Sufjan
and
Gordon Lightfoot.

4_2_it
11-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Beck cuts across several genres and is always money.

Edit - Sea Change might be the best break-up album of all-time

DMBFan23
11-08-2005, 01:33 PM
try:

halloween
the stone
dont drink the water
all along the watchtower (yes, I know it's not originally his)
Minarets
Warehouse
Dancing Nancies

They get lighter and more 'peppy' as you go down the list, almost to the point where Warehouse and Nancies are sorta hybrids, but these are some of the darker ones (yes that's a relative term).

BK_
11-08-2005, 01:35 PM
my favorite modern singer songwriter is sufjan stevens

IndieMatty
11-08-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my favorite modern singer songwriter is sufjan stevens

[/ QUOTE ]

If he continues what he is doing he is going to be recognized in the next few albums as one of the best in the last 25 years---in any genre.

11-08-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.ultrasonica.esquinalatina.com/Articulos2004/joe%20strummer.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Sh*tbreak?

11-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Okay, I really have to ask this, because alot of you guys seem like normal dudes... whats with all the folk music?

Im really not trying to be insulting, but the only folk music I've ever heard wasnt exactly what I would call mind-shattering. Different Strokes though.

Its a shame to hear about Tool and APC, their lyrics are unbelievable.

shadow29
11-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Eclecitc- Costello
Folksy- Cohen

trying2learn
11-08-2005, 04:28 PM
no one has said elliot smith yet...this thread sucks.

also add - prince, lionel richie, brian wilson, and bono/edge.

CIncyHR
11-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Exactly.

ericd
11-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Paul Simon rates a mention

astroglide
11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its a shame to hear about Tool and APC, their lyrics are unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

why is that a shame? now you've got 2 artists you like. they'll do different stuff, and if one dies or quits or changes in some way you don't like you've still got the other one.

11-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Actually I dont think tool is making music anymore, since keenan went to apc. What I mean is that its kinda disheartening, thinking all this time that keenan was a genius, when he didnt even write the stuff.

kinda like if you loved Kermit, then found out he was just a puppet with some guys hand up his ass. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

astroglide
11-08-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I dont think tool is making music anymore, since keenan went to apc.

[/ QUOTE ]

look at the release dates of mer de noms and lateralus

jokerthief
11-08-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I agree with you assessment of Matthews, though. I can't figure out what people like about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can either love Dave Matthews or hate him, there is no inbetween. I know dozens of people who, at one time, hated Dave Matthews only to admit that he was their favorite musician after listening to him for an extended period of time. I happen to be one of those people. His music doesn't hit right away and it takes time to appreciate the subtlety and intesity of it.

correia
11-08-2005, 04:43 PM
http://eil.com/newgallery/Morrissey-Sing-Your-Life-7827.jpg http://www.ballade.no/nmi.nsf/pic/radiothom/$file/radiothom.jpg

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-08-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I dont think tool is making music anymore, since keenan went to apc.

[/ QUOTE ]

look at the release dates of mer de noms and lateralus

[/ QUOTE ]
And then the release dates of all those Tool albums after Lateralus? To be fair, though, there have been rumors of another one coming. There was also a 5-year gap between Ænima and Lateralus.

MrWookie47
11-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Indifferent genres? I don't think anyone cares.

sfer
11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His music doesn't hit right away and it takes time to appreciate the subtlety and intesity of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.worth1000.com/web/media/4004/bill-murray-original.jpg

More.....intensity.

11-08-2005, 05:01 PM
I was waiting for someone to say that.

God you're right, I just bought the political cd (with marching like sheep to the rythm of the wardrums).

I told you guys, when it comes to music, nine times out of ten, Im talking out of my ass.

I've tried to really really listen to DMB, and he still sounds whiney.

Okay, Im throwing out a question to you guys, I have heard like 3 techno songs I like, and want more. I like that kind of ethereal sound, and I havent come across one techno song with singing that I like. Can yall suggest some of the "greats" of techno?

astroglide
11-08-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And then the release dates of all those Tool albums after Lateralus? To be fair, though, there have been rumors of another one coming. There was also a 5-year gap between Ænima and Lateralus.

[/ QUOTE ]

my original suggestion (not to mention the subsequent tours) proved the point that tool and a perfect circle both continued to exist. but to illustrate the 'tool' exists point further, i would think most fans would have caught wind of the huge april fool's joke regarding the band breaking up over religion this year:

----- 31 Mar 05

REMEMBER, DON”T KILL THE MESSENGER

You know the old saying, “no news is good news”, well… that was the case as far as the recording process was going for the new Tool CD, but now things may have changed a bit. Yesterday, when I went to the studio to give Maynard a bottle of wine (a 1992 Maya) for winning the bet that I had with him involving his new film “Sleeping Dogs Lie” (I lost by default, not being able to attend the Sedona screening), not only wasn’t Maynard there, but, in what seems to be a case of enantiodromia (something becoming its opposite) if ever there was one (!), I was told the reason why he wasn’t there. I wish this post was dated April 1, but, unfortunately, it isn’t. Like a doctor giving a patient a straight, honest answer to a medical diagnosis, without sugar-coating the truth, here’s exactly what I was told: “Maynard has found Jesus.” This will come as a complete shock to most (but not all) of you, as it did to me. In fact, it just seemed like another MJK prank until I talked to the one person who I believe would know if all this was legit or not. After nearly an hour on the phone with this person, the answer I received was that Maynard has indeed “found Jesus” and that, for this reason, he’s abandoned the project for the time being, if not entirely. I don’t know what the f**k is in the water these days, but hopefully a black jelly belly will turn up in that golden bowl… that’s all I can think to say at this point. Before leaving the studio, I watched as Danny made arrangements to go play some golf, while Adam and Justin kept working on a particular song. So, in case you missed it (those who don’t read the whole post), here’s today's news: Maynard has found Jesus…

----- 07 Apr 05

Good news, April fools fans. The writing and recording is back under way. When approached for comment on his recent encounter with the Son of God, Maynard said, "That guy's a punk!"
As it turns out, Maynard was out "location scouting" near the Fourth Street bridge in downtown Los Angeles when he "found Jesus."
"Turns out he was here the whole time, and not that difficult to find if you know where to look," Maynard reported. Apparently Jesus offered him the position of campaign manager for his new line of "Holier Than Thou" sparkling holy water, which Maynard of course accepted. What wasn't obvious was that this guy is a total drunk. It's an occupational hazard. Every time our Lord goes to get a glass of water, it transforms into a generic grocery store Merlot. Because the alcoholic is the Son of God and an all-knowing being, he knew of Maynard’s extensive interest in collecting wine. So he went to work trying to get his lips on it. Maynard caught J.C. in his cellar transforming his precious wine collection into urine, then pissing it into the empty "sparkling holy water" bottles for the eventual sale to all those people who bought, read, and embraced "The Celestine Prophesy." Tragic.
"Truth be told," Maynard confessed, "I wasn't feeling top notch when I found him. The evening prior to the day in question I had over-indulged in a series of bad Molotov shrimp cocktails with a side of Makers Mark and twin strippers. So after an entire night of G.I. Blowouts, hot/cold sweats, and blurred vision, it's very possible that the guy I met wasn't even Jesus at all. For all I know, it was Willem Dafoe."

-----

RunDownHouse
11-08-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can yall suggest some of the "greats" of techno?

[/ QUOTE ]
Here (http://ckjcwf.ytmnd.com/)

IndieMatty
11-08-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://eil.com/newgallery/Morrissey-Sing-Your-Life-7827.jpg http://www.ballade.no/nmi.nsf/pic/radiothom/$file/radiothom.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of which. (this may deserve it's own thread)

From Gawker:

Just had dinner at Daniel with some work friends, when I noticed an older and wiser Johnny Marr of the Smiths coming in as we were going out. I stopped to gawk because, well that is what you do, and as he went to his table, he shook his dining partners hand…it was a greying Morrissey. I was too stunned to get an autograph. Talk about a 1980s dream dinner.

KingMedicine
11-08-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no one has said elliot smith yet...this thread sucks.

also add - prince, lionel richie, brian wilson, and bono/edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

MyTurn2Raise
11-08-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You fools have all overlooked the two best of the last 15 years:

Billy Corgan
and
Thom Yorke

I can understand someone not liking either one of them for their voice, but their songwriting abilities are matched by very very few.

[/ QUOTE ]

only because I wasn't sure they fit into singer/songwriter

everyone knows my favorite 5 albums in no order are
The Bends-Radiohead
Siamese Dream-Smashing Pumpkins
Living in Clip-Ani Difranco
Grace-Jeff Buckley (his career was too short for me to nominate him here)
OK Computer-Radiohead

Aloysius
11-08-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
listen to Joni Mitchell , the greatest female folk singer I've ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ani DiFranco is good and all... but I think to call her the greatest folk singer of all time is overstating.

No Page / Plant mention? They wrote some of the best music in theirs or any genre, IMO.

Prince I feel like always gets overlooked in these kind of discussions. Clearly a pop / R&B genius.

Oh - and Stevie Wonder.

cdxx
11-08-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
across all categories. .
dylan
christopherson
parton (yes, her)
lennon/mccartney
garcia/hunter (i know, stretching the "singer/songwriter" thingy)
Jimi
Willie
Woody
Lou Reed
Johnny Cash Money
Marley
. .. to name a few

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of the people you mention spoke very highly (and attributed some of their inspirations) to Buddy Holly.

download, listen, add him to the list. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

StoneAge
11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Greg Brown
Nick Drake
Tom Waits
and another vote for Ani DiFranco- I mean with lyrics like "my p*ssy is a tractor and this is a tractor pull" you gotta give her some credit

MyTurn2Raise
11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Nice...I somehow glossed over Nick Drake

James282
11-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Paul Simon
Nick Drake
Ryan Adams
Connor Oberst
Adam Duritz

Jack Johnson also has a certain charm lyrically though his work is rather simple musically.
-James

HtotheNootch
11-08-2005, 06:58 PM
How on earth has this thread gone 6 pages without mentioning Neil Young?

The man can cross genres all by himself.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-09-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How on earth has this thread gone 6 pages without mentioning Neil Young?

The man can cross genres all by himself.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are two disturbing things about this post.

First, it is true that it is quite surprising that this thread has gone this long without mention of Neil Young.

Second, holy [censored] do you only have 10 posts per page? Get that [censored] up to 50 at least, n00b!