PDA

View Full Version : new fawn as all are

Ray Zee
06-19-2003, 10:56 AM
the does havent been around lately and you know what that means. well it finally happened. i saw a spotted fawn with its mom in the high grass in the field yesterday. it could barely walk but did manage to hunker down and hide then stagger away with its mother. this is the time of year of the babies in nature.

there is a bunch of magpies in a tree near by that are the babies. they cant fly yet but jump around from limb to limb. the mom goes nuts when i walk by them. i am not too fond of magpies as they make their living eating other baby birds and living things. kinda like crows and ravens. but fun to watch.

Ed I
06-19-2003, 12:19 PM
I also love to see a moose with a calf.

Last week on the Missouri I saw a big snake swim across the water, I turned and headed the other way. I saw what I thought was a bat swim across and climb onto the vegetation. The dog didn't know what to think. Any critter I could have mistaken it for?

Local waters are coming around, I'm off to look for bugs. The painting can wait, its a long summer.

Jimbo
06-19-2003, 12:22 PM
"I saw what I thought was a bat swim across and climb onto the vegetation. The dog didn't know what to think. Any critter I could have mistaken it for? "

Hillary Clinton??? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

ripdog
06-19-2003, 01:35 PM
and watched closely to see what it is about her that scares people like Jimbo. The only thing I could come up with is that she's smarter than he is and doesn't share the same political views. Is that it, Jimbo? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Ray Zee
06-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Ed, i love moose also. i did get my fill of seeing them last year in alaska. they were all around with calfs. same with black bears in B.C in the springtime.

it was probably a bat, as i have seen them in funny places during the day also. any you see out of normal can be rabid. also check to see if has any cork in it as that would be illegal for a bat to have.

dont worry about getting your house painted this year. its been so long since you started the job what you did will soon need to be redone anyway.

Zeno
06-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Many years ago in Oregon, I (we) saw a newborn elk. It was still unsteady on its legs and looked so gangly, like most young elk and deer etc. It was along a logging road and I'm sure we spooked the mom and the little guy could not keep up, or get up the steep bank where we were certain the mom was, in the dense brush and trees. We quickly moved on as it was a cold and raining evening and we did not want the little one separated from the mom for too long. It was probably born that day. Youngest I've seen.

Young fawns are a real joy. Ever seen young twins before? I've seen older ones but never really young twins.

-Zeno

Jimbo
06-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Well Ripdog she is smarter than me, that however does not scare me. Heck I will even admit you are smartet than I am yet that does not scare me. Yes her political views are quite different from mine as are yours but that does not make me scared either of her or you. There must be something else since you and she have so much in common yet I have no fear of you or your views but I consider Hillary Clinton quite dangerous. Now what is scary is that she is gullible (read her book for evidence), and is in a position of power and likely to increase that power with time. This combination is scary to me and should be scary to you.

Ray Zee
06-19-2003, 06:22 PM
zeno, yea i have seen newborn deer and elk twins a few times before. in areas of coyotes and wolves its hard for her to protect more than one so one usually gets eaten. i expect to find a few on my place as the summer gets on. there seems to be about 20 does that live here and five or six big bucks.that i have seen. with two being 5 pointers. thats a ten point for eastern people. so far this summer, they drop in around march, i have found about six nice half sets of antlers. as they drop one side at a time.

ohkanada
06-20-2003, 12:13 PM
I live in an older wooded neighborhood that are all 2+ acres. It is outside of Austin and we have lots of deer wondering around.

A few weeks back my wife was outside and the dogs/puppies were barking crazily (as they do too often). She went into the back where we have the dogs fenced off (big area with woods). And she saw a small fawn trying to get out of the fenced area. She took the dogs out and eventually the fawn made its way out.

Last night as I was riding my bike we saw 2 fawns playing in someones yard.

Awesome,
Ken Poklitar

Timer
06-26-2003, 12:08 PM
When I was a toddler we had chickens. The magpies would come and eat the chickens. We wanted to eat the chickens. It turned out they were all roosters. They are still chickens. My dad would cut the heads off of the chickens and they would still run around. I like chicken. We also had a goat.