PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Mentor

Scotch78
11-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Though I am willing to pay for the help, I am not looking for an actual coach like Tommy Angelo or one of the mid-/high-limit players. I am pretty sure that my game has significant leaks (i.e my VP$IP is 13.63% over 20K and I'm already playing a few hands I'm uncomfortable with), but I have been unable to identify and/or plug them on my own (this includes posting hands here), so I am looking for a peer to help me along.

I play $2-$4, primarily at PokerStars, but also at Party and Pacific. I am hoping for someone who has at least 200,000 hands in at $2-$4 and/or $3-$6, and can devote 5-10 hours/week to analyzing hands with me via IM. If you're interested, please PM me. Thanks everyone!

Scott

me454555
11-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Don't worry too much about your VPIP it'll even itself out. I think I was about 13% @ 3/6 and had a winrate of 2.25. Focus on your postflop play and keep posting hands

brettbrettr
11-07-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry too much about your VPIP it'll even itself out. I think I was about 13% @ 3/6 and had a winrate of 2.25. Focus on your postflop play and keep posting hands

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if your sample size is anything legitimate at all then 13 is way too tight. VPIP converges quickly, winrate does not. To use the one which isn't reliable to justify the other which is is wrong.

OTOH, if you're moving up and you're still getting your bearings, fine. But if you think some run of cards is going to change the hands you're playing you're not.

me454555
11-08-2005, 01:44 AM
actually this is over a significant sample size. One of the other players I play with had a 14% VPIP and had a 2.95 win rate over 100k hands. whats my point? Post flop play is infinately more important that squeezing an a lil extra ev out of your pf play

BoxLiquid
11-08-2005, 01:59 AM
If you read the two plus two magazine there was something posted by ray zee. it was called the evolution of a poker player.

If someone remembers what I'm talking about. It's definetely an interesting read.

For the OP my advice to you is to keep studying the game. You'll feel comfortable stealing blinds and doing crazy semi-bluffs soon.

I'm no pro but my semi-bluffs and timing gets better and better the more I play.