PDA

View Full Version : Let this be a lesson to all you cheapos out there.....

cwsiggy
11-07-2005, 08:36 PM
I had to pay $90 for a complete reinstall cause I was too cheap to have a firewall and didn't update my Norton when it expired. Got a nasty, nasty, nasty virus call Hackkey.rootnet.

Reinstall went well, and now have Norton Internet Security 2006. Lesson learned. I'm glad it was done though cause a reinstall cleans out cobwebs anyway. Now I need to get Norton Ghost to do it myself every year.

Spota
11-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Next time go with Panda AV. Much, much better than Norton.

cwsiggy
11-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Dammit, I knew I should have purchased Panda! The guy at the store said Norton is king and Panda is passe. (He didn't have the Norton to sell me btw. Oh well....

SjPdX
11-08-2005, 12:29 PM
If you have Comcast (and maybe other cable providers), they provide McAfee for free as long as you subscribe to their service.

cgwahl
11-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Norton isn't as good as they used to be in my opinion. Its only king because its given out for free with every new system nowadays.

Personally I'd just go with a free one like Avast, AntiVir or AVG, but Panda and Trend are definately ones I would consider paying for.

KenProspero
11-08-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The guy at the store said Norton is king and Panda is passe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I'm a Norton fan. Is it the best? Really impossible to answer -- I think the list of who's number one changes monthly (or more frequently) depending on product cycle, what viruses have been found, etc. Norton may be number 1 one month, number 4 the next, etc.

However, over the years, Norton is consistently in the top tier, while others come and go.

This being said -- Panda (or any reputable virus-protect) would have been better than what you did -- going naked.

However, you already know that.