PDA

View Full Version : What next, jaywalking?

Homer
11-07-2005, 07:04 PM
I got a ticket today. I was driving to meet the gf for lunch and as I entered the on ramp of I-95 was pulled over by a cop on foot along with about 10 other cars. They ran my license along with everyone elses. About 15 minutes later I was handed a ticket and was on my way. Guess what the ticket was for.

MrTrik
11-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Expired tabs. Or whatever your state does for registration?

Patrick del Poker Grande
Driving so slowly that a cop on foot could pull you over?

swede123
My guess would be you crossed a solid white line.

Swede

LBJ
No turn signal.

Homer
11-07-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Driving slow enough that a cop on foot could pull you over?

[/ QUOTE ]

Traffic around here is a bitch. We were all moving about 10 mph.

11-07-2005, 07:06 PM
HOV violation

stabn
11-07-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No turn signal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going with this one but scrubs is very possible as well. Solid white line i'm kinda meh on but as far as your turn signal goes just learn how to use it.

trying2learn
11-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Is this in Vegas? I-95 is a long ass road.

Homer
11-07-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CT

InchoateHand
11-07-2005, 07:10 PM
WTF?

I-95 in Vegas?

asofel
11-07-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CT

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in CT? The idiots in Greenwich are different than those in Hartford are different than those in Windham County...

Homer
11-07-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CT

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in CT? The idiots in Greenwich are different than those in Hartford are different than those in Windham County...

[/ QUOTE ]

Stamford.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Yeah, so anyway, this is great suspense and all, but just tell us what it was so we can move on.

InchoateHand
11-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Wait, I-95...are you black?

trying2learn
11-07-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF?

I-95 in Vegas?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, runs all the way to Reno and beyond.

Homer
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, so anyway, this is great suspense and all, but just tell us what it was so we can move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The only thing that makes me feel good in life is creating threads with lots of views, so you'll just have to wait. Sorry.

Homer
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am whitey.

felson
11-07-2005, 07:15 PM
paging [censored]...

Homer
11-07-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
paging [censored]...

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. If you want me banned for this, feel free. Seems rather silly, but okay, go ahead.

krubban
11-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Driving to close to the car in front of you.

Btw, are any of the "to's" supposed to be a "too" in the last sentence?

asofel
11-07-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stamford.

[/ QUOTE ]

Figures...not using your left blinker to signal the attempted merge.

asofel
11-07-2005, 07:18 PM
nice, i think this gets it. It had to be something easily seen at once...nice job

Homer
11-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Okay, before I am banned for no reason...

The ticket was for not wearing a seatbelt. It irks me because they should be patrolling the highways and pulling over people driving like maniacs instead. But I guess they wouldn't make as much money that way.

Spladle Master
11-07-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The ticket was for not wearing a seatbelt. It irks me because they should be patrolling the highways and pulling over people driving like maniacs instead. But I guess they wouldn't make as much money that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf, why were you not wearing a seatbelt?

Homer
11-07-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I like to live dangerously.

swede123
11-07-2005, 07:21 PM
I really don't understand people who don't buckle up. It just doesn't compute why you wouldn't take the extra second to do this, which pretty much means the difference between life and death in anything but the slowest of wrecks.

Swede

stabn
11-07-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That battle has already been lost in most states. I started wearing mine after they put a bunch of staples in my head but i still perfer the previous rule here in washington where they couldn't stop you for a seatbelt violation but would ticket you if they pulled you over for another violation.

Arnfinn Madsen
11-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Wow, I kept reading this thread for that. Of course you should be fined. Your death has consequences for other people than you, so it is good they try to stop your silly way of increasing the chance.

sublime
11-07-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its moronic you got pulled over for this. its also silly you didnt have a belt on!

InchoateHand
[ QUOTE ]

its moronic you got pulled over for this. its also silly you didnt have a belt on!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing you didn't have 37 drinks in you!

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't understand people who don't buckle up. It just doesn't compute why you wouldn't take the extra second to do this, which pretty much means the difference between life and death in anything but the slowest of wrecks.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
You could even make an argument for it giving you better control of your car, as well. People who don't wear their seatbelts are tards.

Spladle Master
11-07-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I like to live stupidly

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP. I can't believe you actually made me do that. [censored] you.

stabn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he definitely made you do a lame FYP.

felson
I was just kidding about the banning. I didn't actually notify any mods.

Spladle Master
11-07-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I want to die

[/ QUOTE ]
Alternate FYP.

Spladle Master
11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, and I resent that. But really, all FYPs are lame.

lu_hawk
11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
I once got ticketed for jaywalking in San Jose, CA.

Homer
11-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Wow, calm down. I wear my seatbelt most of the time. That wasn't really the point of the post, however. The point is that they are wasting their time with this when there are many other better things they could be doing. I don't mind getting a ticket and I won't fight it.

stabn
11-07-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, and I resent that. But really, all FYPs are lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. You can share your opinion on the necessity of wearing a seat belt without being a little bitch.

Arnfinn Madsen
11-07-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, calm down. I wear my seatbelt most of the time. That wasn't really the point of the post, however. The point is that they are wasting their time with this when there are many other better things they could be doing. I don't mind getting a ticket and I won't fight it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't see any more effective way to reduce traffic deaths than to actively fine this. If you crash the wearing seatbelt or not is relatively more important than your speed; in preventing your death.

HopeydaFish
11-07-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was probably just a "blitz" where they had officers out checking *specifically* for people not wearing their seatbelts. Normally they wouldn't have taken the time and manpower to check for such a thing. They have "blitzes" all the time where I live...every time for something different that they can nail a good number of people for. It's basically a tax grab.

That being said, not wearing your seatbelt is pretty stupid.

Homer
11-07-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't see any more effective way to reduce traffic deaths than to actively fine this. If you crash the wearing seatbelt or not is relatively more important than your speed; in preventing your death.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the way I look at it is that if I want to be a moron by not wearing a seatbelt, I am only hurting myself. However, people who excessively speed and drive dangerously are harming others. That is where I would rather the police focus their energies.

Spladle Master
11-07-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good. You can share your opinion on the necessity of wearing a seat belt without being a little bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]
How? I am pretty sure that nagging of this nature requires a great deal of bitchiness.

11-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Don't you have to put up with an annoying beep telling you to wear your seatbelt? Or is that just my car?

tolbiny
11-07-2005, 07:35 PM
no seat belt

Spladle Master
11-07-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the way I look at it is that if I want to be a moron by not wearing a seatbelt, I am only hurting myself. However, people who excessively speed and drive dangerously are harming others. That is where I would rather the police focus their energies.

[/ QUOTE ]
While I agree with the sentiments you express here, I am curious to know why you want to hurt yourself.

Homer
11-07-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
While I agree with the sentiments you express here, I am curious to know why you want to hurt yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to hurt myself. As I said, I wear my seatbelt most of the time. Obviously, I should be at 100%. I still don't think that changes my argument, though.

Spladle Master
11-07-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to hurt myself. As I said, I wear my seatbelt most of the time. Obviously, I should be at 100%. I still don't think that changes my argument, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are right, it doesn't, and I did mention that I agree with what you said. But still. Man. C'mon. It cannot take you more than two seconds to buckle your seat belt, and it could potentially save your life. I am just baffled here.

sublime
11-07-2005, 07:39 PM
I don't want to hurt myself.

whats the name of the river in egypt?

Freakin
11-07-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Click-it or ticket

Homer
11-07-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not consciously trying to hurt myself, is that better?

swede123
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the way I look at it is that if I want to be a moron by not wearing a seatbelt, I am only hurting myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, sport. If one of your tires blows and you crash into oncoming traffic, and you die because of not wearing a seatbelt, the guy who's hood you're now an ornament on is definitely affected. Killing someone, even if it was completely unavoidable, is a pretty damn tough thing to live with.

Swede

dblgutshot
I don't see how getting a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt should surprise anyone.

Or a ticket for jaywalking, for that matter.

SackUp
11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah, that made me laugh.

stabn
11-07-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Click-it or ticket

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you.

Spladle Master
11-07-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Click-it or ticket

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Look at his avatar.

stabn
11-07-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Click-it or ticket

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Look at his avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like i really hate him. But you have no idea how annoying this cick-it or ticket phrase is here in washington.

RustedCorpse
11-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Driving isn't a right it's a privilege, there are rules to enjoy this privilege.

At the same time I rarely wear mine and think getting pulled over for it is moronic, but that's the fun thing about driving they get to make the rules on that one.

mason55
11-07-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except when you get seriously injured because you weren't wearing your seatbelt (assuming you would have been OK if you were). Then, insurance premiums for all of us go up.

Anyways though, this is the same argument that can be made for legalizing drugs or assisted suicide.

TheMainEvent
11-07-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WTF?

I-95 in Vegas?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, runs all the way to Reno and beyond.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.i-95-hotels.com/maps/USA_Interstate-95.jpg

TheNoodleMan
11-07-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the way I look at it is that if I want to be a moron by not wearing a seatbelt, I am only hurting myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, sport. If one of your tires blows and you crash into oncoming traffic, and you die because of not wearing a seatbelt, the guy who's hood you're now an ornament on is definitely affected. Killing someone, even if it was completely unavoidable, is a pretty damn tough thing to live with.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
Even worse if the other driver is actually at fault for the wreck. I think you'd be hard pressed to find something a cop could do on a daily basis that will save more lives than getting people to buckle their seatbelts.

Freakin
11-07-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Click-it or ticket

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Look at his avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like i really hate him. But you have no idea how annoying this cick-it or ticket phrase is here in washington.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason the washington DOT likes their clever phrases... "Drive hammered, get nailed"... and "A safer state at point-0-8."

Shillx
11-07-2005, 08:22 PM
The reason why they make you wear a seatbelt is the same reason why they make people on motorcycles wear helmets. Some dude w/o insurance gets into an accident and has tens of thousands of dollars in hospital bills (that might have been avoided if a seatbelt was worn). Since the guy who got hurt can't afford to pay it, who has to pick up the bill? We do as taxpayers. The seatbelt law is designed to cut down on these types of expenses.

Brad

stabn
11-07-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Click-it or ticket

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Look at his avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason the washington DOT likes their clever phrases... "Drive hammered, get nailed"... and "A safer state at point-0-8."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm convinced that they really want me to hate them.

Homer
11-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Good arguments for wearing seatbelts that I hadn't considered. I'll keep it on in the future...etc...etc...

radek2166
11-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Typical situation of the govenrment Micro managing our lives. You want to wear a seatbelt wear it. You dont want to dont. End of story.

I personaly thinks its crap. Resources are better spent somewhere else. I do not wear a seat. I think it os my choice.

I do wonder what our forefather would think if they could see what a F***in mess our country is due to the government.

Sephus
11-07-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Typical situation of the govenrment Micro managing our lives. You want to wear a seatbelt wear it. You dont want to dont. End of story.

I personaly thinks its crap. Resources are better spent somewhere else. I do not wear a seat. I think it os my choice.

I do wonder what our forefather would think if they could see what a F***in mess our country is due to the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

your retarded.

Voltron87
11-07-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?!?!?!

radek2166
11-07-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y cause u disagree? Do you like big brother telling you how to do everything?

Sponger15SB
11-07-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES I DO!

This morning when I woke up, I was confused because someone from the government wasn't there to tell me what to do.

radek2166
11-07-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES I DO!

This morning when I woke up, I was confused because someone from the government wasn't there to tell me what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

When they contact you again. I missed the memo on spanking the monkey.

Also could you talk to them about a few more laws that they could make, that they dont enforce

StevieG
11-07-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally.

I'm surprised by this thread. We all love to gamble, drink, have a good time. These are all personal choices that can be argued harmful to yourself and society.

For instance, "we'll all pay higher interest rates for credit cards and mortgages if people run up debts gambling."

Yet the concensus here seems to be that this line of logic is fine for seatbelts and helmets. Where did that come from? How are you getting brainwashed so?

I happen to use a seatbelt, but I hate the idea that the state compels me to do so.

-Skeme-
11-07-2005, 11:17 PM
I got ticketed for jaywalking. It was the most ridiculous thing ever. It was a fairly good thread, though. Generated lots of discussion. Not to hijack your thread, but this was the route they expected me to walk just to cross the street:

http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/1241/route6hi.jpg

11-07-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES I DO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Check and Mate.

11-07-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got ticketed for jaywalking. It was the most ridiculous thing ever. It was a fairly good thread, though. Generated lots of discussion. Not to hijack your thread, but this was the route they expected me to walk just to cross the street:

http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/1241/route6hi.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

What about above the picture what we can't see? No closer places to cross? This is picture propaganda!

radek2166
11-07-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally.

I'm surprised by this thread. We all love to gamble, drink, have a good time. These are all personal choices that can be argued harmful to yourself and society.

For instance, "we'll all pay higher interest rates for credit cards and mortgages if people run up debts gambling."

Yet the concensus here seems to be that this line of logic is fine for seatbelts and helmets. Where did that come from? How are you getting brainwashed so?

I happen to use a seatbelt, but I hate the idea that the state compels me to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

YUP!!!!!!!!!!

NH Sir!

-Skeme-
11-07-2005, 11:57 PM
That is the closest place to cross the street.. that crosswalk like 100 miles away.

whiskeytown
11-08-2005, 12:08 AM
I remember reading about 5 years ago where a town was going bankrupt -

They generated all income for their police dept. from fines, and rather then enforce laws, they set up situation like a truck in your lane that would require you to pass it cause it's stalled or blocked, and then they'd pull you over and give you a ticket.

Eventually they snagged a State Senator who said bullshit and introduced a law saying at least 50% of a City/County's budget had to come from other sources then fines/infractions - like taxes....

Town almost went bankrupt. .... I supsect there was also some embezellment/graft going on - but I hope they all died poor and hungry - stupid [censored] cops.

RB

Sephus
11-08-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming that i think youre retarded simply because i disagree with your opinion is itself, retarded. you should have assumed that i conclude you're retarded because i believe only a retard would express your opinion.

second, that's a nice false alternative you propose. if i support the seatbelt law then i probably want the government telling me how to do everything.

the fact is that the country is unambiguously better off when people wear their seatbelts more. the drop in physical damage resulting from accidents not only saves medical expense, it also spares the loss in productivity that we suffer when people are out of work or die.

believing that an individual's right to go seatbeltless is so valuable that the government shouldn't save thousands of lives by increasing the immediate payoff of wearing a seatbelt is idiotoc.

there may be a small number of people who legitimately prefer not to wear a seatbelt because it makes them so uncomfortable that it's not worth the decrease in safety. if this is the case the law does not significantly hurt them, because the worst it can do to them is have them pay a fine once in a while. this is a very small social cost compared to the overall benefit.

the money cost of enforcing the law is small. it's not like departments are hiring tons of new cops to write seatbelt tickets. it mostly means exisiting traffic cops are a little bit busier, and a few more people get away with speeding/running red lights, etc. than would have without the law.

pokerdirty
11-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Uh, i just skimmed through the thread, but did anyone ever ask how much the ticket actually cost?

11-08-2005, 01:16 AM
Its probably not very expensive, since that way it works better psychologically at enforcing seat-belt wearing

11-08-2005, 01:30 AM
don't block the box.

also, don't even-numbered interstates only go East-West, and odd-numbered ones go North-South. Silly Vegasite thinks he is near I-95...

11-08-2005, 03:22 AM
This thread is [censored] depressing. How can ANYONE believe that mandatory seatbelt laws are a good thing?! I hope you all die.

"I have a dream: It is a fervent wish and hope that both terrorism and the bird flu reduce the world population by 80% within the next decade." I'm with you, Zeno.

11-08-2005, 03:24 AM

runner4life7
11-08-2005, 03:32 AM
De Nile?

tonypaladino
11-08-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread is [censored] depressing. How can ANYONE believe that mandatory seatbelt laws are a good thing?! I hope you all die.

"I have a dream: It is a fervent wish and hope that both terrorism and the bird flu reduce the world population by 80% within the next decade." I'm with you, Zeno.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Lay off the crack man.

11-08-2005, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY, oh wait, you already did when you made the decision to not wear a seat belt.

Cyrus
11-08-2005, 06:42 AM
I don't wanna rain on your parade here, but the reason that cops stop and check motorists in areas with slow moving vehicles or in parking spots is because these are the places where people begin (or end) their journeys. And when they turn on the ignition, that is as good a time as any to enforce that life-saving rule.