PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Western of All Time - First Round!!

swede123
11-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Without further ado, Round One.

swede123
11-07-2005, 07:18 PM
I think for the most part the IMDB monkeys (whose rankings I use to seed these) did a good job this time. Group one does have lots of solid choices though, that one is going to be tough.

Swede

astroglide
11-07-2005, 07:23 PM
this should have a 'no vote' option just to see results

swede123
11-07-2005, 07:24 PM
If you want to see the results w/o clicking so much just vote for one matchup and there you go.

SL__72
11-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Wow, having to vote against one of my favorite Western's in the first round was unexpected. That said it wasn't really a tough choice as it, How the West was Won, was up against Outlaw Josie Wales.

ChipWrecked
11-07-2005, 08:42 PM
I had to go with 'Big Jake' over 'Blazing Saddles', which is one of my top ten all time favorites. Because 'Blazing Saddles' is a comedy, not a western imo, and 'Big Jake' is a freakin' classic.

"You, me, whatever happens, I'm gonna blow your head off."

Blarg
11-07-2005, 08:42 PM
This poll made me realize how many apparently famous westerns I've never seen.

SL__72
11-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Isn't his dog named dog?

peachy
11-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Cowboys has always been one of mah favs but it rivals with butch cassidy and the sundance kidd b/c newman stole my heart since i was a child

pryor15
11-07-2005, 11:30 PM
which alamo? the new one or the old disney one with davey crockett?

swede123
11-07-2005, 11:31 PM
The original, of course. If it survives I'll mention which edition we're talking about.

Swede

miajag81
11-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Who are the two retards who thought Young Guns was better than Unforgiven?

Borodog
11-07-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who are the two retards who thought Young Guns was better than Unforgiven?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. On a related note, it looks as if my man Clint is winning across the board. Even, god forgive us, Paint Your Wagon.

PokerFink
11-07-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This poll made me realize how many apparently famous westerns I've never seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, which is surprising to me.

Liberty Valance is my favorite.

CCass
11-07-2005, 11:43 PM
So Unforgiven gets a bye in the first round?

Borodog
11-07-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So Unforgiven gets a bye in the first round?

[/ QUOTE ]

If by that you mean, "It's up against Young Guns," then yes.

scotty34
11-08-2005, 12:04 AM
No matchup for Brokeback Mountain?

Peter666
11-08-2005, 12:23 AM
really unfair to pit Tom Horn against Liberty Valance, considering Tom Horn is better than 75% of the films on the list.

pryor15
11-08-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The original, of course. If it survives I'll mention which edition we're talking about.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, then i change my vote.

ChipWrecked
11-08-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't his dog named dog?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.
Also the source of:
"I thought you was dead."
"Not hardly."

fnord_too
11-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Like I said, no chance Fistful of Dynamite makes it, but it's my (current) favorite.

And it is not looking good for Paint your Wagon in the early going. I'm still amazed it made it into theatres when it did.

Borodog
11-08-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
High Plains Drifter
25 48%

Tombstone
27 52%

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is wrong with people?

ReDeYES88
11-08-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

[/ QUOTE ]
should win if only for the soundtrack. . .
http://www.new-pony.com/aliascut.jpg

swede123
11-08-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
High Plains Drifter
25 48%

Tombstone
27 52%

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Tombstone is a good movie but High Plains Drifter is top notch. Oh well...

Swede

4_2_it
11-08-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
High Plains Drifter
25 48%

Tombstone
27 52%

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Tombstone is a good movie but High Plains Drifter is top notch. Oh well...

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I am willing to bet most of the Tombstone voters never saw HPD

imported_The Vibesman
11-08-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
High Plains Drifter
25 48%

Tombstone
27 52%

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like HPD a lot, but I don't think it's one of the best Eastwood movies at all. OTOH, Tombstone is, for me, the best western released since The Long Riders (which is dissapointingly behind to Shane here in the first round). I also think Tombstone is the closest the modern western has come to the classic western, and if it weren't for Dana Delaney's terrible performance, the movie would be perfect for me. So I voted for it over HPD.

SL__72
11-08-2005, 11:35 AM
You should include instructions for people to only vote when they have seen both movies in a pair. You can vote without voting for every matchup. Based on some of these results it seems obvious that people are voting against movies they haven't seen.

djoyce003
11-08-2005, 11:37 AM
shocking that the quick and the dead is even on this list...talk about a horrible unwatchable movie.

Also surprised that mclintock is losing to open range....open range was ok but jeeeeezus some of the stuff in it was so forced....especially the love story..it's like they just threw it in because they thought it needed it.

SL__72
11-08-2005, 12:00 PM
This is one I definately find dissapointing... and I kind of liked Open Range.

swede123
11-08-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should include instructions for people to only vote when they have seen both movies in a pair. You can vote without voting for every matchup. Based on some of these results it seems obvious that people are voting against movies they haven't seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured people knew how the polls worked by now. And I think some people would vote even if they didn't know the particular movie in question, even if I told them not to. Like I've said before, this is more about discovering movies I don't know that well than it is about crowning an end-all champion. That being said, in each of the previous "greatest" polls a pretty damn strong movie has ended up winning, so I bet the final four in this one will end up being great ones as well.

Swede

diebitter
11-08-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
shocking that the quick and the dead is even on this list...talk about a horrible unwatchable movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, QATD is fun! Doesn't belong here though. I'm ashamed to say I suggested that one, but only as a joke /images/graemlins/blush.gif

imported_The Vibesman
11-08-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, QATD is fun! Doesn't belong here though. I'm ashamed to say I suggested that one, but only as a joke /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't there two or three movies with this name? I've seen two and considered myself voting against both.

swede123
11-08-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well,

I really feel we covered the bases fairly well with the nominations for this one. And seriously, if some movie we left out would have replaced The Quick and the Dead as a bottom-seed, does anyone really think it would have had a chance vs. some of the powerhouses in this poll?

Swede

diebitter
11-08-2005, 12:20 PM
I agree. It's a tip-top job. Thanks for the effort, Swede!

Borodog
11-08-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
High Plains Drifter
25 48%

Tombstone
27 52%

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like HPD a lot, but I don't think it's one of the best Eastwood movies at all. OTOH, Tombstone is, for me, the best western released since The Long Riders (which is dissapointingly behind to Shane here in the first round). I also think Tombstone is the closest the modern western has come to the classic western, and if it weren't for Dana Delaney's terrible performance, the movie would be perfect for me. So I voted for it over HPD.

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst Eastwood western ever made is better than Tombstone.

imported_The Vibesman
11-08-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The worst Eastwood western ever made is better than Tombstone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.